NT8 chart template doesn't save indicators (panel 2) drawing objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 chart template doesn't save indicators (panel 2) drawing objects

See attached video (NT8 v16 Windows 10 64b)
    https://m7m.000webhostapp.com/horiz_...n_template.mp4
    Last edited by vindiou; 10-17-2018, 03:40 AM.

Hello vindiou,

Thanks for your post and video.

The video shows an RSI in Panel 2 and then you are drawing lines on panel 2. You save the chart template, switch to another template then switch back to the saved template which shows the RSI in panel 2 however the draw objects(lines) are not there. This is expected behavior as a chart template does not save the draw objects. The chart template will save Chart properties, chart panel properties, and indicator settings. Please see: "How to save a Chart Template" https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._templates.htm

Draw objects such as lines would be saved as part of the workspace that the chart is in when you save the workspace.

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Paul for your answer. Any reason why NinjaTrader chose not to save the drawn objects in the chart template?!

Comment

Hello vindiou,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, chart templates can be applied to any instrument so draw objects, in general, are related to price which would not apply the same to all instruments.

Comment

Thanks, IMHO that there should be 2 choices for saving a chart template: with or without objects. Examples:
          1) You draw horizontal lines (always the same levels) that you use for alerts on an oscillator.
          2) You have plenty of drawn objects on your chart: it is much faster to modify them (if they come from another instrument) rather than drawing them all again, one by one from the menu + their settings. Moreover, you may forget to add an object you had on a previous chart...

BTW, I've just noticed that if you add an alert on this horizontal line in the oscillator, the alert is saved in the template but not the horizontal line. So when you restore the chart template, you have an alert on a non-existing line object?!
          Last edited by vindiou; 10-17-2018, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Hello vindiou,

Thanks for your reply.

I will write a feature request to save drawing objects with chart templates and will update this thread when I have further information. Writing a feature request does not mean the feature will be implemented but does let program management be aware of client requests.

Comment

Thanks have a nice day

Comment

Hello vindiou,

Thanks for your reply.

The feature request to save drawing objects with chart templates already exists so your vote was added to it.
                The assigned feature request is SFT-2354, "Chart template Include Drawings objects".

Comment

Hi Paul,

Reading through above posts, my understanding is that a user would like to save the list of indicators as part of the chart templates. Whether an indicator draws a visual object or not is a separate matter.

The template should record a list of indicators currently on the chart. If I then load that template to another instrument, the indicators should load on the chart, and draw the objects if necessary. We are talking about "Indicator" as an object that executes on the chart and may or may not have any drawing objects represented on the chart.

I hope that makes sense and if I may ask - is there a way to do that. It is tediously unnecessary having to apply a list of indicators onto a new chart repeatedly.

Regards

Ramakant

Comment

Hello ramakant,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

Correct, all indicators and their settings are saved with the chart template so that when you apply that chart template to another chart, the indicators with their settings in the template would be applied. From the help guide, "Chart properties, chart panel properties, and indicator settings can be saved as a Chart Template. A Chart Template can be applied to a new chart or an open chart to load customized chart settings, provided the template and chart share the same number of Data Series objects."

Please see, " How to save a Chart Template": https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._templates.htm

Also, if you are using "tabs" on your charts, you can right mouse click on the chart tab to "duplicate as a new tab" or "duplicate as a new window" and then change the data series as needed. Please see both "Tabs actions" and a new feature in 8.0.17.0, "Duplicating a window and it's tabs" here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...using_tabs.htm

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply.

I tried saving the template on a chart where I had added 2 custom indicators to the chart. But re-applying that template to another chart only applies the time-series. The indicators are not saved with the template. I had a dig in the template file. I see that the indicators are not saved in the XML file :

</Indicators>.

Duplicating the chart in another tab or window doesn't work - the indicators are not added to the duplicated tab or window.

Looks like a bug ?

Regards

Comment

Hello ramakant,

Thanks for your post.

Are there any errors shown in the "Log" tab of the control center when you either save or apply the template with the custom indicators?

In the new chart, if you open the indicators panel do you see them listed in the lower left panel as being added?

If you repeat the save/load chart template process with a couple of standard indicators, such as SMA, stochastics or MACD, do these indicators show as expected?

What specific version of NT8 are you using? (Look in Help>About).

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I opened a standar candlestick chart and attached the parabolic SAR. Duplicated the tab and it all worked.

With the custome indicator, this is what I saw on the log when I tried to duplicate the chart in a new tab or window :

2019-02-14 14:22:24:193|3|4|Could not save indicator 'AutomatedTrendlines_LONG:' There was an error generating the XML document.M
                          2019-02-14 14:22:24:193|3|4|Could not save indicator 'AutomatedTrendlines_SHORT:' There was an error generating the XML document.M
                          2019-02-14 14:22:24:506|3|16|Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which imp
                          lements this Indicator no longer is there.M
                          2019-02-14 14:22:24:507|3|16|Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which imp

The indicator is definitely there, as I can manually attach it. So is this an issue with the custom indicator ? Is there any workaround that I can resort to ?

Regards

Ramakant

Comment

Hello ramakant,

Thanks for your post.

Yes, the issue would be with the custom indicator. The errors indicator that something was changed with the indicator code from the time it was originally saved in the workspace to the next time the workspace was saved.

As a test, please create a new workspace and in that workspace create a single chart and add the indicators, then close/save the workspace and observe again the log to see if there are errors. If no errors, reopen the workspace and observe again if any errors reported.

Comment

Hi Paul,

I tried creating a new workspace and then saved template after attaching the indicators. Added a new chart and loaded the saved template. No luck, the log had similar errors :

2019-02-18 14:54:35:720|3|16|Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which imp
                              2019-02-18 14:54:35:721|3|16|Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which imp
                              2019-02-18 14:55:51:337|3|4|Could not save indicator 'AutomatedTrendlines_LONG:' There was an error generating the XML document.M
                              2019-02-18 14:55:51:380|3|4|Could not save indicator 'AutomatedTrendlines_SHORT:' There was an error generating the XML document.M
                              2019-02-18 14:56:36:967|3|16|Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which imp
                              2019-02-18 14:56:36:969|3|16|Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which imp
                              2019-02-18 14:56:47:553|3|16|Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which imp
                              2019-02-18 14:56:47:555|3|16|Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which imp

What is wrong with this indicator ? If you could point me the right way, I could feedback to the author.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Ramakant

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                              166 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post sidlercom80  
                              Started by thread, Yesterday, 11:58 PM