Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Indicators Configured List Order - what does it do please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicators Configured List Order - what does it do please?

Hello,
    The Configured List in the Indicators Properties dialogue enables the list order to be changed with new-in-NT8 Up Down functions. Changing the Order appears to do more than just change the order i.e. it seems to have some effects on the performance of the indicator, although blind I cannot reverse engineer exactly what and cannot find anything in Help (found the Section, but this whilst present is completely un-documented i.e. no reference to Up Down, as far as I can see).
    Could you point me to documentation or explain please. Or maybe they just change the name order, but that would seem unlikely/a bit pointless

Kind regards
    Bruce

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.X.X)

I have been attempting to reproduce this with no luck. I notice no difference in performance when re-arranging indicators using the up/down tool. What steps are you taking to realize this symptom?

There is a new tool in 8.0.16.0 and later called the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor. This tool shows how much time is spend processing specific NinjaScript items. You can access this by going to New > NinjaScript Output Window > Right-click within the Output window > NinjaScript Utilization Monitor. With this window open, see if changing the order of the indicators affects performance and what indicator then appears at or close to the top of the list.

Comment

Hello Patrick and thanks.
      Version 16.1.
      My apologies I should have chosen a better term than performance which has particular connotations here. Behaviour would be better.

Very difficult to describe what may be going on, or not. My gut feel is it may be to do with z-order but this may be a misnomer. What I am seeing could also be to do with Sessions and end of data series versus Close regarding when the Prior Day OHLC thinks a new day begins. (I see in the Release Notes a missing Session Line I reported some time ago after similar struggling to understand what I was seeing is now fixed).

Hence it seems easier to ask 'what does the Up Down function do? Does it only/simply re-order the List? Or does it do anything else?'

My recollection from setting up 7 years ago was that it 'mattered' what order one added indicators, but can't recall how it mattered - it had some effect but i can't recall what. If one had wanted to add indicators, there could be a need to re-order them, but that may mean having to remove and re-add indicators to get the newly added indicator in the ''right place" in the order. Latest added always at the bottom of the order wasnt always what was needed, iirc. Seems the Up Down is added to address that issue - but can't find any documentation about what it affects. If it doesn't do anything other than change the order of indicators in the List, then I can eliminate it from my investigation.

The script monitor seems will be a very useful troubleshooter, which I hope not to use but good to be know.

Kind regards,
      Bruce

Comment

Re-arranging the order would also change Z-order. Other than that, it is just a visual change to the list.

Comment

Ok thanks, thought so. Helps. Unless I missed it (it's not where expect in documentation, easily added) imho it would be good to document.

FYI the scenario is - I have two indicators that can be on top of each other. For example ETH and Day Session High and Low may be on top of each other, or not, depending on Overnight range. In that case it can be difficult to select the 'underneath one', in which case can't change the z-order to make it on top. It is not unusual for this situation to occur. Sometimes can find a place on the chart to get at the one I want. Not always. Same with AlanP's Repeater for Sessions & Opening Range, for example.

I posted - answered only mouse click scroll can do it. Some Indies have a z order field. It's now a Feature Request.

But that isn't necessary, as Up Down does it without being able to select the indicator by mouse. Just not documented.
          Kind regards
          Bruce

Comment

Can you link me to the forum post you're referring to? Or are you referring to an email ticket with us?

Comment

Hello, Could you please tell me how to/if I can control/change Z-order of indicators and why this feature does not appear to be available as a user

Comment

The title of SFT-116 is "NS methods to adjust z-axis up and down". I think that's worth tracking still as it's not exactly what was done here and has to do with NinjaScript access to Z-order specifically.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                0 responses
                1 view
                0 likes
                Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                0 responses
                1 view