Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto reconnection problem

Hi,

I have a Rithmic live account and in average 2 times per week the platform can't reconnect automatically. This usually happens late night (UTC) and kind of every weekends. I have servers in NY4 (earlier I connected from Germany and the phenomenon was similar).
    My Rithmic account licensed for two logins in same time and my other platform always can reconnect well (in case if very rarely something network failure happen). See below the alert message what I usually get and the Log's content.
    I don't think it is related to the (re)connection settings but anyway, this is my config actually: Tools --> Options --> Strategies: Keep running 10 / 500 / 5

Please inform me about how can I solve this problem!? Can I set/change the reconnections torelance/handling somewhere in the platform?

Regards,
    Jose

Please confirm that I understand the issue correctly:
    • You connect to the same Rithmic account from two separate instances of NinjaTrader
    • These instances of NinjaTrader are on virtual machines (If this is true, what virtual machine/server service are you using? Have you spoken with them regarding disconnects?)
    • These instances of NinjaTrader are identical
    • One instance never/rarely experiences a failure to reconnect
    • The other instance often (but not predictably?) experiences failure to reconnect

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the your fast response!

1.) You connect to the same Rithmic account from two separate instances of NinjaTrader
      Nowadays I use one (instance) connection via NinjaTrader and the other connection is from another (custom) platform (but both platforms use the same Rithmic account). (I mentioned my other platform just like a comparison because there I have never had this reconnection problem. This custom platform can't be the reason of the reconnection errors in NT, because earlier I used just two NT instances on my servers. In this moment I don't use the both NT platforms in the same time (from NY4 and from Germany) because then the custom platform connection would be too much for my Rithmic two users licensed account.)

2.) These instances of NinjaTrader are on virtual machines (If this is true, what virtual machine/server service are you using? Have you spoken with them regarding disconnects?)
      I didn't get in touch with the NY4 VPS providers (ForexVPS) because in Germany I have dedicated servers with tested, stable network and there this NT reconnection problem is the same (furthermore the custom platform gives me a stable base too about where I should look for the problem).

3.) These instances of NinjaTrader are identical
      I use NT 8.0.5.2 64-bit everywhere

4.) One instance never/rarely experiences a failure to reconnect
      This reconnections failure have already happened both of my servers (in Germany and in NY4 too), the frequency of the problem is kind of the similar but don't happen in the same time.

5.) The other instance often (but not predictably?) experiences failure to reconnect
      I had experiences with both instances (in Germany and in NY4 too) but totally not predictably, just how I mentioned usually weekends and in average 2 times per week (on weekdays in most cases at nights, after 9-10pm (UTC)).

In summarize
      Rarely I see in the Log some "silent" reconnect messages and I think it is totally okay, and it means the reconnection function from one side works well but somehow, sometimes it can get a failure and throw out the actual connection without try again ...just gives an alert message.

This is the structure:
      ¤ One Rithmic live account (this supports two logins in the same time)
      ¤ NY4 VPS:
      A.) NT (8.0.5.2 64-bit)
      B.) custom platform

¤ Germany dedicated server:
      C.) NT (8.0.5.2 64-bit)
      D.) custom platform

Nowadays I use the A.) and D.) connections to my Rithmic account.
      Until some weeks ago I used A.) and C.) connections but unfortunately I also had this mentioned reconnection failures (and always just with the NT platform). During this time the reconnection failures didn't happened in the same time on the both servers, but it happened (so for example if on Monday it happened on A.) side it does not mean that it happened on C.) side too on the same day and/or time). It took me a long time to exclude all other options as an error so the NT reconnection handling is my last chance.

Of course if I click "OK" in the alert message then the platform reconnect manually fast but it would be better automatically.

Regards,
      Jose

Comment

The version of NinjaTrader 8 you're using is out-of-date by several versions. Dozens of updates and fixes are included in each release. Specifically, a critical update for Rithmic connections was included in the latest release.

To see the changes since 8.0.5.2, please reference the release notes:

I would highly recommend upgrading to the latest version (8.0.10.0) before we proceed.
        • First get your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
        • Click on the link: http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
        • Enter your license key and press Submit
        • Select 'NinjaTrader 8'
        • Select 'Download'
        • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.

Please let me know if any issues persist after the upgrade.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 11-30-2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

After your message I upgraded the NT platform (on my both servers (Germany and NY4)), so actually the current version is: 8.0.10.0 64-bit
          I turned off any other platforms so just NT had a connection to Rithmic since then (one from Germany and the other one from NY4), but unfortunately the same problem has happened Friday night (22:33:13 (UTC)).
          I saw in the Log some "silent" reconnections (approx. 20 minutes) before the final failed reconnection.
          Strangely this happened on my dedicated server in Germany and this server has a very stable network connection (other services, for example like RDP did not disconnected). So maybe the Rithmic's server got a restart, who knows!? So it would be nice if anything happen then your platform also keep trying to reconnect (for example firstly in few seconds and later the gap between the retries can be more seconds or minutes too but always keep trying). Can I change somewhere in your platform or in a config file this broker connection retry threshold?

Regards,
          Jose

UPDATE:
          The above content originally posted 12-02-2017 at 05:06 PM (timezone what is this blog engine shows for me) So it is still weekend and finally the NT on server NY4 has been disconnected as well (today morning: 12-03-2017 08:00:04 AM (UTC)) with the same alert message. I only can imagine this was a Rithmic's server restart but how I mentioned would be nice if NT would keep trying reconnecting. Please recommend me a solution to avoid this general failure disconnections what I can solve just by manually.
          Last edited by JoseA; 12-03-2017, 01:39 PM. Reason: update content

Comment

If there is a complete disconnect, there is not much which can be done from within the platform. A manual reconnect will be required in these cases.

If there is a partial/incomplete disconnect, then this is what can be accounted for from within the Tools > Options > Strategies > On connection loss settings.

Disconnects on the weekends (Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon Eastern US time) when futures markets are closed can be expected and there would be no way to avoid these.

If the disconnects are occurring outside of that window, then it may just be due to a temporary and intermittent reduction in the quality of your connection.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
            11 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
            Started by fernandobr, Today, 09:11 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick