Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding secondary DataSeries and hiding it

Hello,

Is there a way to completely hide secondary dataseries on the chart (I want to be able to access some of its values programmatically, but I want that dataseries to be completely hidden like the way we could make any indicator "invisible" by checking "invisible" checkbox)?

If it is currently impossible - can you create a feature request for doing it?

Thanks

Hello music_p13,

Thanks for your post.

You can hide the secondary data series by setting its candle colors to transparent and setting it to panel 1 (otherwise you will have a blank panel unless you have other uses for it).
    An easier way, with the added data series, is to set its chart style to LineOnClose and then change the single color to transparent and again set it to panel 1.
    In either case, you will still be able to access the OHLC data of the hidden data series.
    It's also a good idea to change the "Plot Executions" to "None" on the secondary series.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PaulH View Post
      Hello music_p13,

An easier way, with the added data series, is to set its chart style to LineOnClose and then change the single color to transparent and again set it to panel 1.
      In either case, you will still be able to access the OHLC data of the hidden data series.
      Hello Paul,
      I use 3 data series in 1 panel each with different Session templates to get ETH, Overnight and Day Session highs and lows, with indicators on each series separately. I use candlesticks. It doesn't give me any problems doing it this way and I don't 'hide' any series - effectively I have one full Session visible and underneath but not hidden there is an exact duplicate of the overnight session portion, followed by the day session portion.

As I saw the subject raised, and you said 'an easier way...' it piqued my interest to enquire if there is any advantage to using LOC transparent (for my Overnight and Day Session data series and just displaying the full ETH)?

Kind regards
      Bruce

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Thanks for your post.

By easier, I meant relative to changing the Candlestick colors of the upbar, downbar, outline, and wick. By using line on close you only change the single color of the line. The OHLC data is all there just the chartstyle is only showing the line on the close values.

In your case, using 3 data series which I assume are identical except for the trading hours sessions, means that each candle is drawn 3 times. By setting the other two to transparent (either the candles sticks or line on close) means that NinjaTrader would not have to render/draw the other two data series and this would help to reduce the cpu/gpu loading.
        Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Paul & thanks for elaborating.

Yes my data series are totally identical except for the trading hours sessions.

Easier to effect indeed, which is a factor with many instruments & charts. IIRC I was introduced to the idea of
          multiple Series in same panel in a Support video demonstrating it, and it showed using LOC, but didn't give a reason for so doing.

Also I didn't know if using transparent lightened the resource load - i.e. did it still in effect actually still render/draw just as much as if using a solid colour, it was still rendering/drawing just as much using 'colour.transparent' so to speak. Even so, I guess a Line is less to render/draw than a candlestick, regardless.

I don't have problems with cpu/gpu usage, but a firm believer in the lighter the better, problems apparent or not. Worth doing.

I live and learn. Thanks. One to add to the To-do list
          Last edited by brucerobinson; 11-01-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
          117 responses
          1 like
          Last Post jculp
          by jculp

Started by Mongo, Today, 11:05 AM
          5 responses
          0 likes