Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using another indicator as an input series provides incorrect plots

Hi,

In this example, I was attempting to attach the Donchian to the RSI, however the Donchian is plotting the price range values instead of the RSI range values. This seems to be in error. Attached is a screenshot of the conditions I am experiencing that I believe are an issue. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Mike

I will add that this was a fresh install of NT8. I had renamed my NT8 folder in Documents and ran the latest installer 8.0.16.2. Ran NT installer - Opened NT8 - add new chart - add/set indicators - see results.

Comment

I'd just to support Mike's concern, as I've experienced the same issue while building strategies. In the situation Mike is looking at, the error creates a situation where it appears the strategy works to some extent, but the output turns ot to be wrong. Thanks for looking into this.

Comment

Not all indicators are programmed to use other indicators as their input series. By default, the Donchian Channel only uses High and Low bars series for calculating.

I've attached a custom Donchian Channel add-on which can be imported and can use other indicators as their input series.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 11-01-2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for clearing that up. This seems inconvenient considering that this behavior worked fine in NT7. But, I guess it is what it is.

Comment

To clarify, we found that many indicators that could do this in NinjaTrader 7 were actually calculating incorrectly which is why the change was made.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

That's good to know. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Comment

Patrick, can you provide a link to the documentation page that discusses this change. I'd like to read up on the details. Thx.
                zacwhitesi
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Shark Indicators

Comment

There is no publicly available documentation other than this forum thread, but if you have a specific question I'll be happy to clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
                    Not all indicators are programmed to use other indicators as their input series. By default, the Donchian Channel only uses High and Low bars series for calculating.
                    I've attached a custom Donchian Channel add-on which can be imported and can use other indicators as their input series.
                    I imagine you guys have had this request before, but just in case... It would be very helpful to the community to restore the ability for all of Ninja's built in indicators to accept other indicators as their Input Series. i.e. Take the adjustments made to the DonchianChannelInput indicator and apply them to all of Ninja's stock indicators.
                    Thanks.
                    zacwhitesi

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-1606. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 01-24-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

A follow up on the custom Donchian Channel add-on solution...
                        The max = Input is Indicator ? ... check only works in a limited way. It only works for open source indicators. If you use a compiled indicator it doesn't work, because compiled indicators are placed in some other class or namespace.
                        To verify, take the Stochastics and compile it, Then, import it, and nest it into the DonnchianChannelInput indicator.

Changing the check to Input is PriceSeries ? ... seems to work reliably in my testing. BUT, I'm wondering, can you think of any scenario where PriceSeries may not work? Whether it's with compiled code or not.
                        Last edited by zacwhitesi; 03-25-2019, 07:26 PM.
                        zacwhitesi

Comment

Hello zacwhitesi,

Thank you for the follow up.

We have an internal list of input modified indicators and they all use "is PriceSeries" instead of "is Indicator" now. Using PriceSeries will be the safer way to go since the only data from an instrument can be a PriceSeries. I have attached the updated script.

Please let me know if I can assist further.
                          Attached Files
                          Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post jclose
                          by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM