Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Transferring Settings from one computer to another or to another user.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring Settings from one computer to another or to another user.

Is there an easy way to transfer all customized settings, configurations, indicators, workspaces etc. from my computer to another computer? Also, is there an easy way to transfer these settings to another user?

Hello Satori2Trade,

Thank you for your post.

To transfer all of your workspaces, settings, connections and custom NinjaScripts, to another computer or another users computer. I would recommend creating a backup, transferring that file to your other PC then restoring settings after installing NinjaTrader. You can use a flash drive to transfer the backup file from one computer to the next.

Backup & Restore

Please follow these steps to create a Backup Archive:

1. Disconnect from all connectivity providers (if connected) and from within the Control Center window select the Tools menu. Then select the menu Export and the menu item Backup File...

2. The "Backup NinjaTrader" dialog window will appear

3. Select the items you wish to back up

4. Press the "Export" button

Now, copy the backup file to a flash drive or email it to yourself. This will ensure the backup file is available in the 2nd PC.
    In the 2nd PC.
    1. From within the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the Tools menu. Then select the menu Import and the Backup File... menu item
    2. Select the backup archive to restore from the "Restore" file dialog window
    3.Press the "Restore" button
    4.Select the items you wish to restore
    5.Press the "Import" button

You will now be presented with a status bar indicating the estimated time and progress of the import.
    Below I have provided a link to the Backup and Restore section of our help guide.

Creating a Backup Archive

Restoring a Backup Archive

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any other NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.
    Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Shawn,

When I try to export this is what I get....

Version 8.0.16.3 64-bit
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Rashid Garuba,

Thank you for your response.

Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please list 'ATTN: Patrick H' in the subject line and reference this thread in the body of the email.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hello Rashid Garuba,

We did not receive your log and trace files.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com so I may investigate this matter further.
          • Open your NinjaTrader folder under My Documents.
          • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
          • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments in your email to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com.
          • Please list 'ATTN: Patrick H' in the subject line and reference this thread in the body of the email.
          • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.
          Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this item.

Comment

You emailed me you got them yesterday...

Comment

Hello Community,

Below are some details on transferring a backup to a new computer with NinjaTrader 8.

The NinjaTrader 7 steps can be found from the link below.
              https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...770#post811770

To install NinjaTrader on the new computer please follow the link bellow.
              • http://ninjatrader.com/GetStarted
              • Enter your email address in the Your email... field
              • Click Download
              • Select NinjaTrader 8 from the 'Select your NinjaTrader version:' drop-down
              • Click Download
              • Run the downloaded installation file and follow the on-screen instructions

Complete the following steps to create a Backup Archive on the first computer.
              1. Disconnect from all connectivity providers (if connected) and from within the Control Center > Connections menu.
              2. On the Control Center select Tools > Export > Backup File...
              3. The "Export Backup File" dialog window will appear
              4. Select the items you wish to back up
                (I recommend unchecking Historical Data, Log and Trace files, and Market Replay Data but leaving everything else checked)
              5. Click the Export button below
              After the backup is complete, navigate to the folder in which the backups are stored, by default they go to:
              • Documents\NinjaTrader 8 Backup\
              • The Backup file will be saved as the days date that it was created (Example: 2020-01-05.nt8bk)
              You then can email the backup (depending on size), burn to disc, or transfer to an external media to place it on the second PC.

A web-based service such as wetransfer.com, google drive, or dropbox can also be used.

Complete the following steps to restore a Backup Archive on the second computer.
              1. From within the Control Center window select Tools > Import > Backup File...
              2. Select the backup archive to restore from the "Restore" file dialog window
              3. Press the "Open" button
              4. Uncheck 'Configuration' in the restore window
              5. Click Restore

Please note, the new computer will have a different Machine ID and will result in any passwords for account connections being removed along with the NinjaTrader License key being removed, when 'Configuration' is checked in the restore window when restoring.

For security purposes all account connections will need to have the username and password re-entered and the License key will also need to be re-entered.

Below is a link to the connection guides with steps to re-enter the username and password for your account type.

You will also need to contact any 3rd party vendors and let them know that your machine ID has changed. You can locate the new machine ID by the following:
              • Control Center > Help > About... (e.g. Machine ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

Once the backup is restored NinjaTrader will automatically shutdown (so any workspaces are not overwritten). Restart NinjaTrader.

Below I have provided a link to the Backup & Restore section of our help guide.
              http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...p__restore.htm

*Please note, that your connection may not allow for multiple computers to connection simultaneously. Please contact your broker or data provider and inquire if your account supports multiple simultaneous logins.
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 04-09-2020, 08:51 AM.
              Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

i have successfully migrated most settings and files from one computer to another...

the only thing missing is the 'hot keys'

how do i get the 'hot keys' onto the new computer? thank you

Comment

Hello what1thingnow,

You may create a backup that includes Configuration files. The hot keys will be saved in the UI.xml file inside the backup.

Please be sure to open new threads for new questions. This thread is a bit old and is not immediately caught by our ticketing system.
                  JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                  Started by KennyK, 05-29-2017, 02:02 AM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes