Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Does multiple workspaces impact performance? NT8 very slow lately...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does multiple workspaces impact performance? NT8 very slow lately...

Hello,

I have recently discovered the use of multiple workspaces and have created quite a few:

1. One for intraday trading. I use a short term lookback period (maximum 3 days on tick charts) .

2. One for historical EOD analysis. Mostly daily stuff on indices.

3. Backtesting workspace.

4. Another backtesting workspace.

Lately, Ninja have become painfully slow and seems to take up a lot of resources/memory. Quite often these days, the fan on my computer turns up and I can see that Ninja is taking up a lot of memory.

Does Ninja process workspaces that are not even open? Is that why things are slow for me? Any remedies?

Thanks in advance.

Johannes

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for your post.

Yes, open workspaces will use resources even if they are not the workspace being viewed. This is actually the number 1 point in our "optimizing performance tips", please review all of them here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ance_tips2.htm

We recommend that you close/save any unused workspace (Please do keep open any that you actively need though) then restart NinjaTrader and observe the TaskManager/performance monitor again.

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi, PaulH,

Thanks!

But, when I first start Ninja - is only one workspace loaded? Because these performance issues seem to happen even if I haven't opened other workspaces during that session.

Johnny

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, if the workspaces are open and you exit NinjaTrader and save your workspaces, then it will open with all workspaces open but only 1 workspace will be viewed. When you left-click on workspaces in the control center you will see a list of all workspaces you have created. If there is an Icon to the left of the workspace, then the workspace is open. If the icon is Green that is the currently viewable workspace. If there is no icon then the workspace is closed. Please see the help guide here for further clarification: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...paces_menu.htm

Comment

Thanks a lot for clariyfing, PaulH. And sorry for bugging you guys about what is probably basic questions. I wasn't aware that I could (and should) close workspaces in that way. Hopefully, I can see some improvements after learning this.

Thanks!

Johnny

Comment

Well, I closed all my workspaces and it's not helping it seems.

I just had another program terminate because it was 'out of memory'. This is AFTER market close, so 80% of my charts are not receiving data.

Seems like NT8 is exhausting all my memory. I have 12 GB and NT8 seems to take it all if I interpret correctly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Memory2.png
Views:	421
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1038665
            Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Memory4.png
Views:	385
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1038670

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for your reply.

If you haven't already, please "restart NinjaTrader and observe the TaskManager/performance monitor again." with only the one workspace open.

It is likely some other cause, such as a custom indicator, that is running away with memory

Please write into PlatformSupport[at]NinjaTrader[dot]Com and attach your log and trace files to your e-mail so we can see if there is some other potential cause that may leave clues in these files.
                Mark the E-mail Atten: Paul and please include a reference link to this thread.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to your e-mail:
                • Open your NinjaTrader folder under My Documents.
                • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to your email.
                • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

Comment

PaulH,

It seemed to do the trick. I'll consider this solved for now. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by maybeimnotrader, Yesterday, 05:46 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post maybeimnotrader  
                  Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                  5 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH