Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What do you think about this 2990WX build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That GTX video card is more appropriate for gaming. I suggest a Nvidia PNY card.

As for case you might consider a high airflow case if you are going to go with a big case, e.g. Corsair 540 & Cooler Master HAF EVO. With the above two cases the power supply and drives are on the back of the mobo and in a separate area. Former has better quality.

You also need some fault tolerance in the drives via RAID.

As for the watercooler, are you sure it can handle the new 250W Threadripper and not just the old lower TDP? Just a personal opinion, but watercooling is susceptible to leakage.

Supermicro also has better build quality than ASRock but they only make AMD mobo for Epyc processor which is faster than Threadripper. The new Threadripper has 32 cores but 16 of the cores access the memory via the other 16 cores thus slowing it down. Hope that helps

Comment

Another minor issue with your mobo is this. The pcie bus for triple at x16 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE2) / x16 (PCIE4) and for quad at x16 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE2) / x16 (PCIE4) / x8 (PCIE5)). That means at most you can use two x16 pcie cards. The rest are x8 but if you go for ASRock X399M Taichi, which has only 3 slots, but all three at x16 so you can get put three x16 cards even though this mobo is mATX, i.e. triple at x16 (PCIE1) / x16 (PCIE2) / x16 (PCIE3))*.

Comment

Sorry forgot to add, your memory should be ECC.

Comment

That helps a lot, thank you.

My main goal is to have faster optimization times in NT8's strategy analyzer, so I may be going about that incorrectly. I'm going to research your suggestions some more, but here are my quick questions/thoughts:

Video card: I'm unfamiliar with workstation cards and am unsure which one to get. I would like support of 4 monitors though. I'll look into this more.
          Case: I really like the Corsair 540.
          Hard drive: I've setup RAID before but never realized the advantage of fault tolerance. Will look at two m.2's or two 2.5" ssd.
          Watercooler: That could be. I'll double check the manufacturer's site. Would you just go with the high air flow case and air cooler instead of watercooling?
          Mobo and CPU: The Epyc and Supermicro look like a great combo, and I didn't know that about the Threadripper. Do you think this would offer faster strategy analyzer optimization times? Also, great catch on the other mobo.
          Memory: Another great point and lesson for me. I'll look into ECC more and rebuild my list around a true workstation setup if you think that would be best to accomplish faster optimization times.

I really appreciate your time on this. Thanks again for the help.
          Last edited by ymrider21; 11-08-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

We do not officially have any specific hardware recommendations outside of the installation guide. In addition to having sufficient hardware power, you'll want to also make sure your NinjaScript code is efficient as well. The strategy's code has the potential to have a bigger performance impact than any specific hardware item would. Here is a link to the NinjaScript best practices section of the help guide for your reference. If you need any assistance with code optimization or other NinjaScript questions, please start a thread on the NinjaScript sub-forum or write into us at PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com

Comment

> main goal is to have faster optimization times in NT8's strategy analyzer, so I may be going about that incorrectly.

You should start by asking how is NT8 bound for what you are trying to do. Is it network-bound, i.e. most of the time it is waiting for data to be downloaded so that a strategy can be run on the data? Is it disk-bound in some way, i.e spending most of the time reading and writing to the disk, which is unlikely. Lastly is it CPU-bound, i.e. it is spending most time during calculations. Once you have answered you can decide where to focus your resources.

> Video card: I'm unfamiliar with workstation cards and am unsure which one to get. I would like support of 4 monitors though. I'll look into this more.

Nvidia Quadro Pxxxx is the latest and even the lowest end P2000 is enough because you are not bound by graphics like a gaming software would be.

> Hard drive: I've setup RAID before but never realized the advantage of fault tolerance. Will look at two m.2's or two 2.5" ssd.

For best performance the disk should go directly to the cpu via pcie lanes. I think NVMe might be overkill if disk is barely used. If your process is disk-bound then why not get some memory and run a disk cache program like this http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/supercache.php. That is better bang for a buck than say RAID 100 NVMe disks.

> Watercooler: That could be. I'll double check the manufacturer's site. Would you just go with the high air flow case and air cooler instead of watercooling?

More parts = more problems. Temperatures will be lower with water cooling but it still needs fans to cool the radiator. As for air cooling, this will do the job: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Ryzen Threadripper Epyc CPU Cooler

> Mobo and CPU: The Epyc and Supermicro look like a great combo, and I didn't know that about the Threadripper. Do you think this would offer faster strategy analyzer optimization times?

The server and workstation market is merging. See ASUS WS C621E SAGE mobo as an example. It uses Xeon chips that were originally for servers but are used on this "WS", for workstation" mobo. I have seen floating point benchmarks on Epyc that are amazing when compared to Xeon with similar cost. That is why both Threadripper and Epyc are doing well, great price-performance. If your software is CPU-bound then you need to find what is it doing. If it is floating point then compare the floating point benchmarks of various CPUs. There is no easy answer.
              Last edited by jjones431; 11-09-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Sounds like overkill.

32gb ram only?

Comment

sledge: Sounds like overkill.

In the hardcore hardware build forums I recently heard a phrase, never ask why but rather how!

As for 32gb ram, I don't know the layout of the mobo but it is quad channel memory and if he using 4x8gb then hopefully he has saturated the memory bus if they are dispersed appropriately in the 8 memory slot mobo.

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback, jjones431. I'm definitely limited by my CPU at the moment. It runs at near 100% and is an i7-7820x with 4x8gb of ram appropriately placed in the mobo per the manual. I'm trying to simplify my strategy's code the best I can right now. This build is my next step. Thanks again.

Comment

Appending a related note here on AMD's 2990WX vs. EPYC memory issues, and the relationship (and potential fix) of speed issues as they relate to the OS...not just the number of channels:
                      A utility can substantially boost top-end Threadripper performance under Windows, possibly due to flaws in the Windows scheduler.

Comment

Adding also: a well-deserved and interesting discussion on the need or no-need for ECC RAM.

On one of my visits to the Computer History Museum [http://www.computerhistory.org/] – and by the way this is an absolute must-visit place if you are ever in the San Francisco bay area – I saw an early Google server rack circa 1999 in the exhibits. Not too fancy, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ymrider21 View Post
                          Thanks for the great feedback, jjones431. I'm definitely limited by my CPU at the moment. It runs at near 100% and is an i7-7820x with 4x8gb of ram appropriately placed in the mobo per the manual. I'm trying to simplify my strategy's code the best I can right now. This build is my next step. Thanks again.
                          How's the build working out?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                          2 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post XXtrader  
                          Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes