Using ATM with ThinkorSwim account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using ATM with ThinkorSwim account

I am trying to use an ATM Strategy when trading my Thinkorswim account with Ninjatrader 8. None of the tutorials have examples of STOCK trades only FUTURES. What happens is the as soon as I enter a trade it immediately executes the Stop Loss or Profit target (I cannot tell which it is).

I have attached a screenshot of the ATM Strategy parameters that I am attempting to use. Also, note that I am doing this in Sim mode as a test before going Live.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Steve R.

Hello SteveR,
    Thanks for your post.

You can verify which order it was by looking at the Orders tab of your Control Center

Do you see any errors on the Logs tab of the Control Center? If so, what do they report?
    Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Josh:

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am not sure what to look for, but here are screenshots of the Orders and Log tabs. As you can see from the time stamps the closeouts were almost instantaneous as if I met the targets. Did I set the Parameters incorrectly? I was using Penny increments.

Comment

SteveR,

These orders were closed out because the targets filled. What are you trying to get the ATM to do?

Comment

That is what I was trying to say in the original post. All of the examples of how to create an ATM Strategy talk about Futures and not Stocks. Please look at my ATM Strategy parameters to see if I have entered the data correctly. If not, what should it be to have a $0.50 Stop Loss and Targets of $0.75 and $1.50?

If I have entered the data correctly, does NT8's ATM work with ThinkorSwim in Sim mode?

Comment

SteveR,

I don't see anything specifically wrong with your settings. You should note that the "Currency" type for stop loss is calculated by the dollar per tick value for the order quantity used. It is possible that the tick value is not what you expect, and you need to set a higher value for the "Currency" type.

Have you reviewed the help guide article on how to set your stop loss in an ATM?
            https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ndTargetValues

Comment

Yes, I went thru the tutorials before posting my original help request; however, none of the tutorials that I saw have examples of STOCK trades only FUTURES. Can you explain what you mean by TICK VALUE when I am trading Stocks vs Futures? Also, I did try to trade SDS using an ATM, but I got these error messages (see attached). It appears that I can enter Targets and Stops manually without any issues.

Comment

SteveR,

The difference between Stocks and Futures Tick values is not something I know about. To my knowledge it has to do with the size of the asset being traded, not the type of asset. To look at the Tick value of a specific instrument you will need to search for it.

These errors are directly related to the values set for Parameter type and Quantity. You are going to need a much larger number for the Stop Loss if you want to use the Currency Parameter type and have a quantity of 200 contracts. I suggest starting with a single contract and then increasing the quantity as you test, so that you can get an idea of how to set the stop loss.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                47 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post aligator  
                Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes