Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 becomes unresponsive when strategy analysis chart is visible

Hello,

Latest NT8 build. Had this same error lots and lots over last few days, so can confirm it replicable and a repeating issue. Happened about 10 times to me so far today.

NT8 becomes unresponsive when then strategy analysis chart is visible after running a backtest and you enable or disable a strategy in the main command window, or start and stop the playback feed (or a bunch of other stuff). The whole platform is then unresponsive and occasionally, the chart window flashes. Unfortunately, it never recovers, requiring you to 'end task' and start all over again. This only happens if the chart window of the strategy analysis is showing a chart of a back test. It does not happen (I think) on the summary page, for instance.

Yeah, it's not just you. The current version is the pits - keeps hanging if you throw more than a crossing MA strategy spanning three days on it. Horrible....

CAN WE PLEASE ROLL BACK TO THE OLDER VERSION? It was working perfectly. Pretty PLEASE!!!!

Comment

Hello pjsmith,

I'm testing for the behavior you have described with 8.0.11.1 using the SampleMACrossOver but I am not able to reproduce.

Below is a link to a video that demonstrates opening the Strategy Analyzer, performing a backtest, selecting the Analysis from the drop-down, and then opening a new chart and enabling and disabling a strategy.

As well as a video that demonstrates connecting to the Playback connection and enabling a strategy with the Strategy Analysis open in a Strategy Analyzer window.

May I confirm you if take these exact steps as shown in the video with the SampleMACrossOver that you are getting different behavior?

If so, I will want to schedule a call with you so that I may test on your end in a clean NinjaTrader environment with no custom or 3rd party scripts within NinjaTrader.

molecool,

You can find downloads of the previous version from the publicly available link below.
      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
        Hello pjsmith,

I'm testing for the behavior you have described with 8.0.11.1 using the SampleMACrossOver but I am not able to reproduce.

Below is a link to a video that demonstrates opening the Strategy Analyzer, performing a backtest, selecting the Analysis from the drop-down, and then opening a new chart and enabling and disabling a strategy.

As well as a video that demonstrates connecting to the Playback connection and enabling a strategy with the Strategy Analysis open in a Strategy Analyzer window.

May I confirm you if take these exact steps as shown in the video with the SampleMACrossOver that you are getting different behavior?

If so, I will want to schedule a call with you so that I may test on your end in a clean NinjaTrader environment with no custom or 3rd party scripts within NinjaTrader.

molecool,

You can find downloads of the previous version from the publicly available link below.
        https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect

Hi ChelseaB,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, it is exactly the response I expected, and to be to blunt, I think Ninjatrader are missing the point. I am sure the others in this thread will agree.

Yes, if we delete all our work, start in a fresh computer, with a fresh install of NT, and try to run just the MA crossover strat, yes, it'll likely work fine. But you are totally missing the point and have not taken on board the comments in these threads. If this is the way Ninjatrader tests it's products and certify's them as production ready, then this is a huge part of the issue.

We are _trying_ to use the platform as a business tool. As such, we have many, many windows open (I have maybe 25-30 over 5 monitors). I have 2 data feeds. I am LIVE trading. I am trying to run several strategies and lots of fairly simple but custom code. IN THIS ENVIRONMENT, THE ONE NINJATRADER IS EXPECTED TO BE USED IN, it is failing repeatedly to meet our expectations and is unstable.

I would suggest you get people in the above situation who are willing to spend a week/ month with Ninja trader to work with you closely and note all the issues they would experience.

If you wish to attempt to replicate these common issues, I suggest you try to do so in a realistic real-time live environment. That means many windows, lots of action, multiple monitors, running strategies. Do a backtest over 12 months or more generating 1000's of trades. Try this during playback mode also. Actually USE the platform as someone who bought it would be trying to, and see how frustrated you get with it. Me, after all this time with NT8, multiple rebuilds and the same 'wipe it, clean install, if it works with a single window open it's not NT' responses, I'm ready to chuck it out the window and invest my time elsewhere.

Sorry, but that's how I feel. It's how I suspect a lot of Ninjatraders other previously loyal clients feel too. If you cannot get the software right, I'm certainly not going to trust NT brokerage with my cash!

Good luck, and I sincernely hope you help NT to resolve the issues.
        Last edited by pjsmith; 12-18-2017, 03:10 AM.

Comment

I couldn't agree more with your response, in fact it is a textbook example of how NinjaTrader approaches customer service and has been over the past few years. Several traders I know personally have abandoned NinjaTrader for that very reason.

I personally believe this is due to the fact that nobody at NinjaTrader actually trades for a living and, although technically competent, are unable to appreciate the daily reality of a system trader. What it means to have tens of thousands of Dollars or more tied up in a campaign while NinjaTrader is either crashing, slowing to a crawl, or throwing exotic exceptions. To be told to reinstall and reset everything when real money is on the line.

And you are absolutely right. To respond with 'well, it's not happening with my MA cross over strategy' is absolutely ludicrous and exactly confirms the issue at hand, which is that the QA process at NinjaTrader is either faulty or broken. Otherwise I cannot wrap my mind around how many of the buggy releases over the past few years have made it out of the door.

Originally posted by pjsmith View Post
          Hi ChelseaB,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, it is exactly the response I expected, and to be to blunt, I think Ninjatrader are missing the point. I am sure the others in this thread will agree.

Yes, if we delete all our work, start in a fresh computer, with a fresh install of NT, and try to run just the MA crossover strat, yes, it'll likely work fine. But you are totally missing the point and have not taken on board the comments in these threads. If this is the way Ninjatrader tests it's products and certify's them as production ready, then this is a huge part of the issue.

We are _trying_ to use the platform as a business tool. As such, we have many, many windows open (I have maybe 25-30 over 5 monitors). I have 2 data feeds. I am LIVE trading. I am trying to run several strategies and lots of fairly simple but custom code. IN THIS ENVIRONMENT, THE ONE NINJATRADER IS EXPECTED TO BE USED IN, it is failing repeatedly to meet our expectations and is unstable.

I would suggest you get people in the above situation who are willing to spend a week/ month with Ninja trader to work with you closely and note all the issues they would experience.

If you wish to attempt to replicate these common issues, I suggest you try to do so in a realistic real-time live environment. That means many windows, lots of action, multiple monitors, running strategies. Do a backtest over 12 months or more generating 1000's of trades. Try this during playback mode also. Actually USE the platform as someone who bought it would be trying to, and see how frustrated you get with it. Me, after all this time with NT8, multiple rebuilds and the same 'wipe it, clean install, if it works with a single window open it's not NT' responses, I'm ready to chuck it out the window and invest my time elsewhere.

Sorry, but that's how I feel. It's how I suspect a lot of Ninjatraders other previously loyal clients feel too. If you cannot get the software right, I'm certainly not going to trust NT brokerage with my cash!

Good luck, and I sincernely hope you help NT to resolve the issues.

Comment

Hello pjsmith,

Thank you for your response.

Your feedback is appreciated and we would like to investigate this matter further.

Would you be able to provide log and trace files?
            Can you confirm that the video provided from my colleague Chelsea shows the same steps you took or do we need to take different steps?

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support. Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default. Please list 'ATTN: Patrick H' in the subject line and reference this thread.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

I had the same problem this morning on the first Strategy Analyzer I ran with the latest NT update. The platform became unresponsive, but it worked itself out in a couple of minutes after I told the Microsoft dialog to wait for the program to respond. I was not in Chart view at the time, which seemed to occasionally cause problems in the previous version. I haven't run the analyzer since.

In the previous version, this problem happened occasionally, and it seemed to be stable as long as I did not leave the window on Chart view. Although it seemed to happen more after I added a OnMarketData section to my code.

Also, the previous version had a consistent problem with a dual monitor configuration on my Surface Pro. It would take me many attempts to drag the analyzer window to the external monitor without it "disappearing"...the window showed up in the task bar, but was jumping off the screen of the second monitor to somewhere that I could not get to it. The workaround was to disable the external monitor, start the analyzer on the Surface Pro monitor, then re-enable the external monitor.

Note that I am running a SIM Continuum demo account.

Comment

Hello Zigfried,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

We appreciate your report on this matter. We are investigating this matter further on our end with the details and steps from the reports we have received. If you have any additional details please let us know.

Comment

I just revisited this and repeated the problem following similar steps as pjsmith.

I had a Strategy running. Called up a new Strategy Analyzer window. Ran a backest on that same Strategy. Then, enabling or disabling the running Strategy starts causing the unresponsiveness.

I am running Windows 10 with a Ryzen 1800x processor, and 16GB RAM.

Comment

Hello,

To everyone who is seeing this occur can you provide the following information in an email to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with 'ATTN: Patrick H' in the subject line and a reference to this thread?

Please go to the Windows Start Menu > type 'Control Panel' > select Control Panel and then System. Please attach a screenshot of this window to your email.

Please go to the Windows Start Menu > type 'dxdiag' > select dxdiag > ensure you have selected the 'System' tab. Please attach a screenshot of this window to your email.

To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using Window's Snipping Tool.

Click here for instructions

Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.

Click here for detailed instruction

We look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by junkone, 04-21-2024, 07:17 AM
                    9 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post jeronymite  
                    Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post trilliantrader