Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TABs visibility not restored in Charts

Hello,

In one of my Workspaces I have 6 Charts. Out of these 6 Charts, in 4 Charts I have the "Show Tabs" option unchecked in the context menu of the Chart (and the Properties Dialog of the Chart as well).
    However, on 2 Charts I have the "Show Tabs" option checked. In these 2 Charts, I have 2 Tabs each.

The Workspace is saved. If I go and check the XML file of the Workspace I can clearly see that the corresponding option is correctly saved in the XML file for these 2 Charts. It says:

<AreTabsVisible>true</AreTabsVisible>

whereas for the other 4 Charts it says:

<AreTabsVisible>false</AreTabsVisible>

in the XML file.

However, no matter what I do Tabs are not restored when I open this Workspace. None of the 6 Charts show TABs and in those 2 Charts I have to manually check the "Show tabs" option every single time to see those TABs.

Can you guys confirm that this is a bug?
    This is NT8 8.0.11.0 on Win 10 Pro.

Hello laszlonagy,

Thank you for your post.

Glad to assist. Testing on my end, the Show tabs option does seem to work as expected. To test, please shut down NinjaTrader and navigate to the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 folder.

Rename the "UI" file here as "UI.old" and restart NinjaTrader and test for issue.

We look forward to assisting further.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have the same issue as reported in this thread. "Tabs are not restored when I open this Workspace. None of the 6 Charts show TABs and in those 2 Charts I have to manually check the "Show tabs" option every single time to see those TABs."

All the Best

Comment

Hello Trader2020,

Thank you for your post.

Glad to assist, can you please shut down NinjaTrader and navigate to the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 folder.

Rename the "UI" file here as "UI.old" and restart NinjaTrader and test for issue.

We look forward to assisting further.
        Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Eric,

I did not check whether your solution works because I managed to solve the issue ( by a workaround).
          It seems to me that sometimes the value

<AreTabsVisible>false</AreTabsVisible>

is not always modified to

<AreTabsVisible>true</AreTabsVisible>

for all TABS in a Chart in the workspace XML file. Or maybe it is not properly set internally, and then this incorrect value is written to the XML.

What I noticed is that TABs are visible in a Chart only when the above setting is set to TRUE for all TABS within that specific Chart. If it is set only for one of them, or not all of them, then TABS may not be displayed the next time the Workspace is opened.

Laszlo

Comment

Is this easily reproduced? If so, what exact steps would I take within NinjaTrader to cause the issue you originally reported?

Comment

Hi Patrick,

For me the way this issue happened was like this:

1. I have created a Workspace. In this Workspace I placed 6 Charts, and on each Chart I turned off the "Show Tabs" option. I also had a DOM, where I also turned off Tabs. I also had a Market Analyzer window, in which I also turned off Tabs. So, basically, every item I opened in this Workspace, I turned off Tabs in it. Then I saved the Workspace. (The Control Center still has Tabs shown, but as far as I saw data about that is stored in the "_Workspaces.XML" file, not the XML file of the individual Workspace.)
              2. I have used the Workspace for many days, opened it many times, closed it many times.
              3. One day I felt that I need another Chart, but did not want to rearrange my Windows. Therefore I checked the "Show Tabs" option in one of the Charts, and in its Window I added another Chart in another Tab. Set up everything and saved the Workspace.
              4. Later, when I opened the Workspace, I noticed that the Chart in which I checked the "Show tabs" option does not display the 2 tabs it should. I had to again enable the "Show Tabs" option. However, no matter how many times I did this, and saved it, upon reopening it did not show Tabs in that Chart.

I opened the XML file of the Workspace, and I noticed that the <AreTabsVisible>true</AreTabsVisible> option is not set for both Tabs, as discussed in my previous post.
              So I guess the program opened the Workspace "correctly" based on the info it found in the XML file, I just don't know why the correct information was not set in the program or was not written properly into the XML file.

By the way, after much trial an error, I managed to get the program to write the correct info. This is what I did:

1. Opened the Workspace.
              2. In the Chart, enabled "Show Tabs". Now I saw both Tabs.
              3. In the first Tab, disabled "Show Tabs", then enabled "Show Tabs" again.
              4. Switched to the second Tab, and disabled "Show Tabs", then enabled "Show Tabs" again.
              5. Saved the Workspace. Then checked the XML file and the field was set to "true" for both tabs in the Chart. So I guess, disabling and enabling the "Show tabs" option in EACH Tab was what made the difference, so the program then stored and written the proper data to the XML file.
              Last edited by laszlonagy; 12-20-2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I could not reproduce this behavior after trying many different iterations of adding tabs, disabling show tabs, and saving/closing/opening the workspace.

If you discover steps which reproduce the issue 100% of the time, please let me know as if this is truly a bug we would be very interested in resolving it.

It seems that the xml file may not have saved correctly as you suggested, but I am not certain as to how that could occur.

Comment

Hi Eric,

Before I did your fix, I wanted to see if what laszlonagy described had any effect for me. I have 3 tabbed charts. I looked and sure enough, the last chart was not checked on "Tabs". I checked that, closed and opened NT and it worked correctly. The Tabs showed upon opening.

All the Best

Comment

Patrick,

I think only the programmer can figure out whether there is some part of code which will not correctly save the TRUE flag for Tabs. I had the suspicion that the FALSE value of some Tabs causes it not to be saved properly to the XML file.

Or maybe, when you add a new Tab to a Tabbed Chart, the Flag is not set to TRUE for that last TAB and that is how it is written into the XML, I don't know, there could be many parts of the code influencing this.
                    So that is for the programmers to figure out.

Thanks for looking into this.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                    Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes