Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to superimpose indicators in a higher time frame to a chart in lower time frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to superimpose indicators in a higher time frame to a chart in lower time frame?

Hi, if I have a EMA20 curve calculated in a weekly chart, how can I superimpose this curve (EMA20, weekly) into the daily chart? Thanks!

Hello simonhy,

Thank you for posting in the NinjaTrader support forums.

Before we continue, I wanted to check are you trying to program an indicator to do this specific situation or are you asking how to generally apply indicators in this way from the user interface?

If you are programming this, your indicator will need to add weekly data and utilize that in its logic in order to be able to apply to any type and display this. If you mean from the chart and not in terms of programming, you can add a second data series to the chart to base the indicator on.

Can you clarify if you are trying to program this or do this manually?

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

take the weekly information and put the EMA 20 double data in a variable. In barsInProgress == 0; write that variable in a plot

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
        Hello simonhy,

Thank you for posting in the NinjaTrader support forums.

Before we continue, I wanted to check are you trying to program an indicator to do this specific situation or are you asking how to generally apply indicators in this way from the user interface?

If you are programming this, your indicator will need to add weekly data and utilize that in its logic in order to be able to apply to any type and display this. If you mean from the chart and not in terms of programming, you can add a second data series to the chart to base the indicator on.

Can you clarify if you are trying to program this or do this manually?

Hi Jesse, thanks for your prompt reply! I meant not by coding but by from chart. can u help tell what are the procedures? thanks!

Comment

Hello simonhy,

Thanks for the clarification, I have moved this post from the programming forums to the Technical support forums.

To do this, you would create a second data series in the chart and then use that for the indicators input series. You can use the following steps:
          1. From a chart, right click and choose Data Series
          2. Add the two series, so daily and weekly.
          3. Click OK and now right click and choose Indicators
          4. Add the indicator to the weekly series
          5. Once you click apply, you will see two series and one indicator calculating off of the weekly.
          6. To overlay it on the daily, you can click and drag the indicators plot and drop it over the primary series, you can also use the indicator's menu to change the Panel that the indicator is set to use to move it.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
            Hello simonhy,

Thanks for the clarification, I have moved this post from the programming forums to the Technical support forums.

To do this, you would create a second data series in the chart and then use that for the indicators input series. You can use the following steps:
            1. From a chart, right click and choose Data Series
            2. Add the two series, so daily and weekly.
            3. Click OK and now right click and choose Indicators
            4. Add the indicator to the weekly series
            5. Once you click apply, you will see two series and one indicator calculating off of the weekly.
            6. To overlay it on the daily, you can click and drag the indicators plot and drop it over the primary series, you can also use the indicator's menu to change the Panel that the indicator is set to use to move it.

Thx Jesse! It works! Would you mind sharing with me how to do this using coding too? thx!

Comment

Hello simonhy,

In coding, this is going to relate to what type is being used. A Strategy by nature will have an easier way to display this than an indicator would but you can do this in either type.

The general approach from an Indicator would be to replot this value. This entails that you use AddDataSeries in the script and add your weekly series. Then from the primary series BarsInProgress you could Plot the value of the indicator from the second series or:

Code:
              if(BarsInProgress == 0)
              {
                  Value[0] = EMA(BarsArray[1], 20)[0]; 
              }
              From a strategy, rather than re-plotting the value you can just use AddChartIndciator if you wanted to just add this visually. You would still need AddDataSeries as well:

Code:
              AddChartIndciator(EMA(BarsArray[1], 20));

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes