Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NInjaTrader 8 Lagging

Hello,

I always experience Ninja Trader 8 Lagging and I wonder whether the following are possible :-

1) Can I run 2 Ninja Trader 8 on the same Machine ?
    2) Can I pin Ninja Trader 8 chart to specific CPU ?

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Simjs

1. There is no supported way to run two instances of NinjaTrader 8 on the same PC.
    2. Assigning certain elements of NinjaTrader to specific CPUs may technically be possible, but we have no resources or support for this, nor do I think this would necessarily resolve what you're reporting. NinjaTrader is multi-threaded and by design should spread the load across all available cores.
    I think what we should focus on is trying to isolate potential root causes to the symptoms you're experiencing. Can you go into further detail about what 'lagging' means? For example, does the platform generally feel sluggish? Do certain actions take longer than expected to complete? Please elaborate.

Some general troubleshooting would be to test with a workspace that has no custom add-ons or templates. Does the issue persist? I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over performance tips:Ultimately this troubleshooting may be faster and more accurate if I had specific information about your NinjaTrader. This information is contained in the log/trace files. Since you should not share these files publicly, you can send me the files from within the platform:
    • You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support
    • Expand 'Other files' and enable 'Workspace files and UI settings'.
    • Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 2024523 ATTN PatrickG

Comment

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for the message.

I think Ninjatrader should look into this and program every chart to have independent processes.

As you potentially aware when I load indicators with multi weeks or months of data, Ninjatrader chart will start to lag on the live market.

Your troubleshooting methods of unloading all custom add-on don't solve fundamental issues. You just want to prove that, this is not a Ninjatrader issue.

As Ninjatrader is a platform provider, Ninjatrader should provide a solid n scalable platform and with the program to guide or certify Ninjatrader indicator providers.

I hope Ninjatrader look into this ASAP.

Thanks.

Comment

• I figure I'll post a reply here, as this fits the issue described, rather than start a new thread.
        • There sure is a memory dump/cache issue with NT8, when running strategies or optimization. I went from 32 GB to 64 GB ram, and it doesn't matter - it will fill to 100% and slow computer to a crawl - or crash if you try to be "fast" - HOWEVER, it takes longer to get to that point (so that indicated to me that there's a "build up"). At 16 GB NT8 used to crash pretty fast.

What I did was to sync my NT8 folder, and AFTER I closed NT8, I noticed hundreds of files created in my synced google drive folder. Upon closure, NT8 deletes all those files on the main drive; and so it seems like it just keeps creating and opening more and more files forever in the background, without closing them.

My theory is that WHILE NT8 is running all those files (let's say a strategy for 500+ stocks) continually update minute data, but rather than adding data to the old file, it keeps the previous file open, and also opens a new file to collect information. It's a single stock, it should have ONE file that updates, and instead, it creates a new file for every data point it seems - and they must be all being accessed. Is this a fixable programming issue?
        • These files are created in this folder:

DRIVE:\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache\US Equities RTH.Eastern Standard Time\MINUTE

Open any ticker, and you will see the insanity that ensues, as the program runs longer, until tons of files are populated for each ticker in your strategy and more are being created and left open.

Adding some screenshots to make it easier to see, especially the side by side of the synced folder, versus NT8 folder once it is closed.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello lmatiukas,

Thanks for the info you shared and the inside.

I have a few times with cache issues and it required me to remove and reload all cache data.

I have high expectation when Ninjatrader 8 released but I am disappointed after using it for a while as Ninjatrader 8 improved some of the Ninjatrader 7 features but it created even more problematic.

My issue of real-time chart lagging is caused by one of my charts which use Orderflow indicator with daily tick data. I only loaded 7 days of daily tick data.

This caused lagging on a real-time chart and to my surprise, my computer still has plenty of resources with memory and CPU utilization below 30%.

Thanks.

Comment

This symptom typically occurs due to a combination of the following factors:
            • PC performance
              • e.g. — Is your PC's CPU powerful enough to handle the calculations?
            • Workspace complexity
              • e.g. — many charts with many custom indicators
            • Market volatility
              • e.g. — the volume is 4x what is was last week

To see what (if any) NinjaScript items may be contributing to the symptoms, please open the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor:
            • Control Center > New > NinjaScript Output
            • Right-click within the NinjaScript output window > Select 'NinjaScript Utilization Monitor...
            • This window will begin to populate with NinjaScript items in order of time spent processing
            • Let this window populate for at least a few minutes then send me a screenshot of it's contents
              • To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using Window's Snipping Tool.
              • Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by junkone, Today, 11:37 AM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post junkone
            by junkone

Started by frankthearm, Yesterday, 09:08 AM
            12 responses
            0 likes