Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume Bar confusion: NT 8.0.10 & IB data feed

Hi,

I have a question regarding Volume bars. I have a chart of CL 02-18 showing 5000V bars. The Session is set to Energy ETH. Now, one would logically expect that the total number of contracts traded in CL 02-18 on any given day would match the product of: 5000 x number of bars in a Session. However, this is not what I find. For example, on 20DEC the CL front month volume was around 420k contracts, but I am only getting 43 bars x 5000 = 215k contracts. Where did the remaining contracts go?

Any help in understanding this is appreciated....

8.0.10.0 is an older version. Please upgrade to the latest version (8.0.11.1). To upgrade NinjaTrader, please follow the steps below.
    • First get your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
    • Click on the link: http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
    • Enter your license key and press Submit
    • Select 'NinjaTrader 8'
    • Select 'Download'
    • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed
    This may have to do with the source of data - Interactive Brokers. Real-time data sent to NinjaTrader from Interactive Brokers is filtered, while historical data is unfiltered. This is most noticeable on tick based charts like volume.

What do the volume charts look like when compared to Trader Workstation?

Do the volume bars change if you right-click on a your NinjaTrader chart and select 'reload all historical data'?

Comment

Using CQG Continuum and latest NT version here. I use volume charts. The volume totals shown in the Market Analyzer volume column are always substantially more than the volume shown in charts. A few days ago, for RTY, I calculated the chart volume total at 30% of market analyzer volume total for the day. Don't know why.

Comment

Lacer,

Different data feeds are likely to produce different results. Since you're not using the same data feed as ours_solaire, this would technically be a different issue.

While connected to NinjaTrader Continuum (CQG), I was able to get almost exact values when comparing a daily chart with the volume indicator applied with the Daily Volume Market Analyzer column:

I also get 37 1000 volume bars which matches my expectations compared to the 36k shown in the Market Analyzer:

I would suggest starting your own thread or writing into PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com for further assistance so we can work with you and your data feed and keep this thread for Interactive Brokers expectations.

Comment

Hello Lancer,

The second screenshot in my previous post displays a 1000 volume chart coinciding with the Daily Volume Market Analyzer column:

If you add up the volume bars on a chart and this does not match up with the Daily Volume column of the Market Analyzer, this may be expected for a few reasons:

Daily Volume is data supplied by the data provider, and the data is based on the data provider which includes custom sessions. Some providers will include non-last qualifying trades and some will not. In NinjaTrader, this data is loaded in the Time and Sales window and in the Market Analyzer's volume column.

The following is how Daily Volume bars are different which will likely cause different volume results:
          • Trading hours template
          • Break EOD may affect this
          • Volume bars are built purely on last qualifying 'ticks' and historical bars are created solely by historical 'ticks' coming from whichever historical data provider is connected

In conclusion, each data provider may provide different quotes for Daily Volume and Volume Bar, if you're curious about exactly how this is calculated, I recommended that you contact your data provider.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. Regarding comparison with TWS - I wasn't even aware we could get volume bars charts on that platform! Nor can I reload historical since NT is not able to request historical tick data from IB (even though they do offer it - I checked with them on this).

If I could make a feature request for NT to be able to accept this data from IB, it would save me having to save RT data as historical and be constantly connected to record it live...

I still think that the Volume numbers should be closer than what I'm getting - so I have to wonder whether my RT data bears any resemblance to whats really going on in the market??? A nearly 50% difference is way beyond an acceptable amount.

Comment

ours_solaire, the root of what you're experiencing is a combination of what I explained earlier about expected differences regardless of data provider, and mainly due to real-time data from Interactive Brokers being filtered while historical data is not.

Let's say 5 ticks of data come in, each with 1 volume.The real-time data that NinjaTrader uses from Interactive Brokers is filtered. So you may only receive 3 of those ticks and a volume of 3. If you then reload this historical data, this is unfiltered and you will see 5 ticks and 5 volume.

I'll submit a feature request for two items:
              • Pull historical tick data from Interactive Brokers - SFT-2837
              • Pull unfiltered real-time data from Interactive Brokers - SFT-2738

I'll update this post with the tracking numbers when I receive them.
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 12-27-2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Hello please i wish vote Pull unfiltered real-time data from Interactive Brokers - SFT-2738

Regards

Comment

Hello walter739,

Thank you for your post.

Glad to assist. Unfiltered data can now be added a recent update in with the IB adapter in version 8.0.19.1.

See our 8.0.16.3 release note "Updated required version of Traders Workstation for Interactive Brokers to 973 and added the ability to enable additional functionality that is in beta - Interactive Brokers -Feature #13053" for details on what was implemented in 8.0.19.1.

Ensure your TWS setup and version is per our connection guide so the features can be used.

The following link will take you to a page that details the steps required for creating a connection to Interactive Brokers as well as specific connection configuration information:
                  Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello, thanks for answer and your help.

Please if it is possible update this link

My API configuration in TWS have more options of the link.

Regards

Comment

Hello walter739,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team.

Thank you for your followup.
                      Heath R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post CactusMan  
                      Started by giulyko00, Yesterday, 12:03 PM
                      2 responses