Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot import backup file.

people with ninjatrader,

first of all i want to congratulate you all, the support you provide is magnificent. both by email and on these fora the support you extend is great, i also use other commercially available platforms and it is impossible to get a reply or any measure of assistance from your competitors.

now, i'm having an issue with backups, i downloaded and installed the latest version of nt 8 today. i have tried to import some backup files i have (they were created in february and march of this year with a previous nt 8 version) but i get an error message that says that they couldn't be imported because that would corrupt my installation. i have some nice indicators and strategies i have developed in those backup files and i don't want to have to put that code together again so i really want to be able to restore those backups. ¿is there anything i could do to solve this issue?

thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Sometimes NinjaTrader can have difficulties restoring a backup due to the path name of the imported indicators.
    When this happens, it is still possible to manually restore the scripts.
    To do this:
    • Make a copy of the backup file to keep the original backup safe.
    • Next rename the extension of the backup file to .zip.
    • For example if there was a backup made today the file name would be 2014-12-18.ntbk. Rename this to 2014-12-18.zip.
    • Next, open the .zip file and copy everything from the bin/Custom folder to:
    • (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom
    • Add any missing assembly references.
    • After this compile any script in NinjaTrader
    For any assembly dlls that were restored in the backup, these will need references added only if missing.

To add a reference:
    1. Right-click within the NinjaScript Editor window and select "References".
    2. Click "Add".
    3. Locate the .dll file for the file mentioned in the error.
    4. Click "Open" to add the reference.
    5. Click "OK" and recompile.
    To compile a script:
    • Open NinjaTrader
    • From the Control Center select the New menu--> select NinjaScript Editor
    • Double click on the Indicators folder--> then double click on any of the indicators
    • Once the indicator code is in view right click in the window and select Compile to compile all NinjaScript objects
    • At the bottom of the NinjaScript Editor window, a new section will appear where you can find the error locations
    • You can exclude the file referenced in the editor by double clicking on the appropriate object type on the right of the NinjaScript Editor window. This will expand the object type folder. You can then select the file with a left click--> right click on the object--> then select Open to begin debugging the file, Exclude From Compilation, or Remove to delete the file.

If you are unsure as to what the error is indicating, please send me a screenshot of the NinjaScript File column and Error column fully visible (not to be confused with the Code column)

To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using Window's, Snipping Tool.

Click here for instructions

Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screen shot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.

Click here for detailed instruction

We have also collected more comprehensive steps for resolving NinjaScript programming errors in this tip in our Help Guide:
    Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 11-16-2021, 11:35 AM.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Eric B.,

thanks.

i have restarted my laptop a couple of times since i installed nt 8 and an error message has been generated that reads something with net installation is corrupt.

i will try to download the nt 8 msi file again, remove the program and install again. hopefully this will solve the issues i have had with my backup files. if a clean reinstall does not help i will have to follow your indications, rip open the backup files and restore my code by hand.

very well, thanks, regards.
      Last edited by rtwave; 12-11-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
      11 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post xiinteractive  
      Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred