getting a few NT7 indicators into NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting a few NT7 indicators into NT8

I use only a few indicators--a couple I had written for me in NT7 and couple from the Indicator Forum. As begin transition to NT8, I have to find a way to use these. what are the options?
    can they be imported or do they have to be rewritten? any general advice/direction is much appreciated. TY

Hello JImJinNJ,
    Thanks for your post.

There are a few key items to look for when converting your scripts from NinjaTrader 7 format to NinjaTrader 8, and we keep a Code Breaking Changes table updated in the NinjaTrader 8 Help Guide to assist in identifying changes or new implementations of familiar methods and properties from NinjaTrader 7: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ng_changes.htm

Some notable items to consider when converting your code will be the following:

Initialization has changed significantly. Initialize() has been replaced with OnStateChange(), which can be used to filter out different stages of the entire life cycle of a script (SetDefaults, Configure, Historical, Realtime, Terminated, etc.) OnStateChange() is fully covered in the Help Guide.

The names of many methods and properties have changed slightly, so you will need to refactor these in your code. The Code Breaking Changes table can make this task much easier, and there is also an alphabetical reference in the Help Guide that can help to find new method/property names: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG..._reference.htm

In numerous instances, you now have direct access to objects, where in NinjaTrader 7 you had to work with interfaces. For example, rather than the IOrder interface, you now have direct access to an Order object and its related fields. This will require a change in the way items like this are handled in your code.

What we recommend is that you use the indicator wizard or strategy wizard to create the basic structure of the NinjaScript. From the help guide, "The NinjaScript Wizard is used to generate the minimum code to get started programming any supported NinjaScript type. This wizard will allow you to define any default properties, add custom input parameters, add additional data series, and add any relevant event methods. There are a number of different properties and options available in the NinjaScript Wizard depending on the type of NinjaScript object you are creating." Reference: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...?ns_wizard.htm

Please let me know if any questions come up.
    Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by PhillT, Today, 02:16 PM
    1 response
    1 view
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
    Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
    3 responses