EMA Alert Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMA Alert Issue

I'm using an EMA indicator, "EMASlopeColor".

My goal is to get an alert when the plot gets within one tick of the instrument value. I've been able to create an alert (please see attached) which fires when the indicator crosses above or below the instrument, but it doesn't fire when I set the condition to equal. Separately, I don't know how to set it to one tick away.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NT Alert.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1043664 ​​​​​​​

Hello,

Thank you for your post. Is is possible to set Alerts can be on a ticks off set. To accomplish this, double click on the condition again to open the properties. At the lower right, set Offset type to Ticks and enter the plus/minus value.

See below for more on alert properties settings.

Let us know if we may assist further.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you, Eric.
      I was also wondering if there has to be a "cross." What I'm looking for is the EMA to touch the ticker price, or be one tick away from it, not to cross it. Is there a way to get that?

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

This can be accomplished by applying an offset to the condition. See below for steps on adding an offset.

Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm sorry to keep troubling you, but I can't get this to consistently work.

The goal is to get the alert to fire if the EMA approaches within one tick of the ticker (maybe, I have the offset +/- wrong). I also don't want to wait until the end of the 5 minute bar, but get it immediately.

I've attached three charts: 1) The Alert, 2) the Cross Over, and 3) the Cross Below. Can you tell me what, if anything, I'm doing wrong? The alerts seem to fire inconsistently.

It also seems to me that there ought to be a more elegant way of doing this with just one condition instead of two: One can't use an indicator "equal" ticker because, when the touch happens, the EMA might not equal an exact tick value. I also can't tell if setting it within one tick of the ticker works because there might be the same problem of the indicator not being exactly one tick away. I think that what I would really need is "within one tick."

Any guidance, would be appreciated.

Stephen

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alert.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1043745

Comment

Remember, an EMA plot is generally not on full tick prices but are on portions of ticks out to 15 or something decimal places. So, it may look like the EMA line is one tick from price, it may not be mathematically. That is why it may seem inconsistent.
            eDanny
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by love2code2trade, 04-17-2024, 01:45 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post love2code2trade  
            Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
            2 responses