TOS or NinjaTrader for simulation, internet&computer security, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOS or NinjaTrader for simulation, internet&computer security, etc

Hello newbie-in-training and after so much reading, its paper-trading/simulation time. It was time 2 months ago but I didn't feel like I was ready...a recent post pointed out that nothing beats live practice so....I'm starting.

1) I was going to start with TOS but it occurred to me that maybe I should use the platform that I would be doing my real trading on to cut down on having to learn a new platform all over movies download movies at forum again. Good idea? I'm leaning towards TOS or NinjaTrader since these are the only simulators I've heard of so far. I see a lot of reference to TOS for paper trading but for real trading, I don't see TD brokerage used a lot but I see NinjaTrader(especially for futures)/IB/SureTrader. Which one is better? Does opening an brokerage account cause a hard inquiry?

2) Internet & Computer security : How is everyone handling this? I've always had a Windows desktop/laptop but always done all financial-related activities within a VMWare with Linux installed...having to work directly on my laptop has me a bit nervous. What kind of Internet security software is everyone using? In lieu of the Kaspersky news, I was thinking of switching. What about VPN? Would it be better to get a Mac instead?

3) Equities, Options or futures : What is the general advise on what to start with. I was going with stocks but while studying PATs Price Action, Volume Profile & Market Profile, all of the reading/lessons were centered on Futures and I must say that it is sounding more appealing. The same trading principles apply as per support & resistance, indicators, charting, patterns, mitigating losses, having a plan, etc.
    Last edited by Jasonpaul; 01-03-2019, 11:26 AM.

Hello Jasonpaul,

Thank you for your post.

1) I certainly agree that it would be best to use the same platform for simulated trading as you intend to use for live trading. If you have not already done so, I would invite you to download NinjaTrader for free at the link below. When you download NinjaTrader, you may also request a free two-week market data trial for futures trading. This will allow you to test the platform with a live market data feed:If you have additional questions about the benefits of futures trading with NinjaTrader Brokerage, like commission rates and margin requirements, I would suggest sending an email to our brokerage sales team:
    • brokeragesales[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com
    2) NinjaTrader is a Windows-based application that relies on the .NET Framework. As a result, we would not support running the NinjaTrader platform in a Linux environment. You can review the system requirements for NinjaTrader at the following link:NinjaTrader does not have any specific recommendations for internet security. Our platform will have to be added to the safe list for any firewalls or antivirus applications that you may be using.

3) I would also recommend contacting our pecific information about trading futures versus other asset classes:
    • brokeragesales[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com
    Let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Nothing wrong with experimenting and trying out different platforms. You sometimes see something and then wonder how to do that in another platform.

I use a laptop machine specific for ninjatrader with MS security essentials. Nothing else except driver updates.

you better have a plan. That's up to you. Lots of people will be happy to take your money.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Rapine Heihei, Today, 08:19 PM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
      Started by Rapine Heihei, Today, 08:25 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Rapine Heihei