Editor: Highlighting Braces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editor: Highlighting Braces

The editor for strategies and indicators in NT 7 has a nice feature in that when you click on the line that contains the brace symbol (i.e., "{" or "}", such as when starting or ending an "if" statement) it automatically illuminates that brace as well as its pair. This is quite convenient when debugging code. Unfortunately NT 8 doesn't have this. So, is there any way to enable that ?

Hello spottysallrite,

Attached is a screenshot on how this appears in NinjaTrader 8.

There are no properties or options to disable this.
    Attached Files
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Right. That happens only if you hover over the brace then click on it, or if you use the cursor left/ right key to highlight the brace. In NT 7 you just have to click any where on the row that ends with a brace -- much easier/ faster/ convenient/ less tedious.

Comment

Hello spottysallrite,

I have created a short video to demonstrate to you that all you need to do is place the cursor on the outside of the curly brace and this will automatically highlight the opposing curly brace.

The behavior is exactly the same in NinjaTrader 7.

Hovering over the curly brace will not cause the opposing curly brace to be highlighted.

Selecting text will not cause the opposing curly brace to be highlighted.

Comment

Yes, if you click on the closing brace or if you drag the cursor over the opening brace, then both the open and close braces are highlighted. Those with compromised motor skills would not find clicking on exactly one character easy. This is not the same as 7.

Comment

Hello spottysallrite,

As demonstrated in the video I have provided you, selecting text does not cause the opposing curly brace to be highlighted. Also, you would not want to click on the curly brace in either NinjaTrader 7 or NinjaTrader 8.

Instead, the cursor must be placed on the outside of the curly brace.

Attached is another video that demonstrates the behavior is the same in NinjaTrader 7.

Comment

I'm not sure what your point was here. Try clicking two or more characters to the right of the opening brace in 8 (ie, don't click on the brace itself).

Comment

Hello spottysallrite,

When you have mentioned:
                Originally posted by spottysallrite View Post
                Yes, if you click on the closing brace or if you drag the cursor over the opening brace, then both the open and close braces are highlighted. Those with compromised motor skills would not find clicking on exactly one character easy. This is not the same as 7.
                This is incorrect. I have created a video to demonstrate that the curly brace highlighting appears when placing the cursor on the outside of a curly brace in both NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8 and that the behavior is the same. (This means to the left of an opening curly brace or to the right of a closing curly brace)

I have also demonstrated that selecting the text of curly brace will not necessarily cause the brace highlighting to appear.

Comment

My point still is that the editor in 8 doesn't behave the same as 7. (Chelsea, please don't misrepresent what I say; you've done that at least twice during this discussion.) As such, it isn't as easy to use as 7. In 7, clicking to the right of either the opening or closing brace highlights both the opening and closing brace. This is very convenient and would be nice to have in 8.

Comment

Hello spottysallrite,

Thank you for the reply.

I have put in a feature request to have highlighting when selecting to the right of an opening bracket, an/or to just more closely match the brace matching in 7 in general.

I look forward to being of further assistance.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Excellent ! Thanks much ! (This feature might seem trivial to some, but it's very valuable to me.)

Comment

Hello spottysallrite,

I just wanted to quickly reply, the tracking id is: SFT-3758

I look forward to being of further assistance.
                        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post gentlebenthebear  
                        Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes