Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What exactly is saved as part of a workspace and backup workspace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly is saved as part of a workspace and backup workspace?

What exactly is saved as part of a workspace and backup workspace (XML file)? Does it include indicators, strategies, draw objects, add-ons, control center, and all windows opened from the control center?

Looking at the workspace and backup workspace, I can't find any reference to strategies, so how are they saved as part of the workspace?

Is there another file I can inspect like a workspace XML to view the strategies saved to each workspace? If not, I would like to submit a feature request so that strategies are saved in a similar fashion as indicators (i.e. in the workspace file)--is there a reason this is not possible?

Also, when saving a chart template, why is a strategy not considered part of the chart and saved in that template? I'd also like to submit a feature request that strategies are saved as part of the chart template.

I haven't been able to find any clear answers in the help guide.

Hello Jack22,

The workspace saves all open NinjaTrader windows. On charts all NinjaScript Strategies, Indicators, and drawing objects are saved with that chart in the workspace. Addon windows are saved with the workspace only if the developer implements the IWorkspacePersistence interface.

While I can provide a video that demonstrates a instance strategy saved in a workspace will be removed from the Strategies tab of the Control Center when the workspace is closed, I am not able to provide the inner workings of how NinjaTrader saves that information.

Workspace and template .xml files are not intended to be opened in a text editor and read or modified by clients.

Chart templates do not include drawing objects or NinjaScript strategies as these need to be setup manually and be specific to that chart.

I will submit a feature request on your behalf for Chart Templates to also save NinjaScript Strategies. Once I have a tracking ID for this request I will forward this to you for future reference.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks--everytime I've reviewed a workspace xml I can never find the reference to any startegy, so a video would be great showing that. Sometimes it's easier to pull settings from these files, especially across computers.

Comment

Hello Jack22,

Below is a public link to a video that demonstrates that when a workspace is closed all associated strategies are removed from the Strategies tab of the Control Center, and when the workspace is re-opened the workspaces re-appear.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/137S...w?usp=drivesdk

As reading or modifying these files is not supported by NinjaTrader Support I will not be able to assist with this.

Comment

I get that part of adding and removing from the grid, but the strategy logic doesn't really follow the rest of the indicator / chart logic and it's rather confusing. Example, if a strategy has an error, it will be removed from the strategy grid and chart. If you then shutdown and don't save a workspace, NT doesn't reload that strategy on the next reboot. So if you get into that situation, what I am getting from NT is there is no way to recover that strategy / strategy settings. In contrast, a indicator will continually be loaded, you will just get errors in the log, but you can tell the workspace not to save and never run the risk of losing that indicator on a chart. You also have the option of looking at the recovery, or installing the recovery workspace to restore those indicators. You don't have any of those options for strategies.

Comment

Hello Jack22,

I am not able to reproduce this behavior.

If a strategy encounters an error while it is running, it will be disabled but will not be removed from the chart and will not be removed from the strategies tab of the Control Center.

It will also still be saved with the workspace.

Are you able to reproduce this behavior?

May I have a short video that demonstrates?

A free tool you can use is Jing by techsmith which I am including a public link to below.
            TechSmith Capture is a simple, free way to create basic screenshots and screen recordings and share them with others.

Comment

Hello Jack22,

I've received tracking ID# SFT-2924 for your request to save NinjaScript Strategies with Chart Templates.

Please note it is up to the NinjaTrader Development to decide if or when any request will be implemented.

We appreciate your request on this.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by rtwave, 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post rtwave
              by rtwave

Started by yertle, Yesterday, 08:38 AM