Ninjatrader 8 freeze after indicator import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninjatrader 8 freeze after indicator import

Sometimes after indicator import NT8 freezes.
    I end at the message box from the screenshot attached.
    I pressed OK but it froze and didn't disappear. Now whole NT doesn't respond as I cannot close this message.
    That forces me kill NT8 process but I cannot even save workspace ...

Hello dariuszszyc,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please send the log and trace from your platform to look further into this inquiry.

To send me your log and trace files from within NinjaTrader. Go to Control Center-->Help-->Email Support in NinjaTrader. Put '2076292, Att Shawn', in the subject field and enable 'Log and trace files'. Also, give a reference of this thread in the body of the email.

We look forward to assisting you further.
    Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I never used that option so I hope I did it right. E-mail sent

Comment

Hello dariuszszyc,

Thank you for your patience.

I am seeing your DirectX hardware device lose detection and then NinjaTrader report several unhandled exceptions in your Trace files.

The DirectX hardware device would be your GPU/Video Card. Do you have any power management settings enabled that would put your PC in a Sleep or Hibernate state?

If you have 'PCI Express --> Link state power management' enabled in the Advanced Power settings of your Power Plan then please disable it.

NinjaTrader is not designed to run in Sleep or Hibernate states and you should not any of your Hardware shut off when running NinjaTrader.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Hello Patrick,

First thing is that I have 2 GPU - an integrated one Intel and one NVidia.
          Next, I don't have set any power saving - all time running on max settings in my power plan.
          However I don't turn off NinjaTrader when I enter Sleep Mode.

Didn't know that could be the problem but I'm not sure if I didn't restart NinjaTrader before trying to import an indicator.

Regards,
          Darek

Comment

Hello dariuszszyc,

Thank you for your response.

Please let me know if the behavior continues if you don't run NinjaTrader while in a suspended state on your PC.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
              Hello dariuszszyc,

Thank you for your response.

Please let me know if the behavior continues if you don't run NinjaTrader while in a suspended state on your PC.
              I am getting a similar error upon trying to import a couple different indicators. (The screen shot is provided.) The latest indicator that this unhandled exception error is happening on in the repeater indicator
              it was also happening when i tried to import the fvg indicator

After I see this prompt on screen for 5 or so seconds, Ninja Trader abruptly shuts down.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by sashol3; 08-06-2023, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Hello sashol3,

Thank you very much for your post.

This error most commonly occurs if the "Controlled Folder Access" is enabled. This limits which application is able to access your Documents folder. It is possible this was enabled during a recent Windows Update and now blocks NinjaTrader.

For information on how to either disable this Windows feature or add NinjaTrader to the exception list, please see Microsoft's publicly available website below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-7e51e912b034

Please don't hesitate to let me know, should you have any further questions or if this does not resolve the error!
                Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Manfred View Post
                  Hello sashol3,

Thank you very much for your post.

This error most commonly occurs if the "Controlled Folder Access" is enabled. This limits which application is able to access your Documents folder. It is possible this was enabled during a recent Windows Update and now blocks NinjaTrader.

For information on how to either disable this Windows feature or add NinjaTrader to the exception list, please see Microsoft's publicly available website below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-7e51e912b034

Please don't hesitate to let me know, should you have any further questions or if this does not resolve the error!
                  thank you. My controlled folder access is set to off and I am still having issue. I frequently notice that when I make any sort of change in Ninja trader I get a notification from google drive that a file gets moved to the trash. The path is located in my documents folder which google drive has access to. The only way I know how to change this is by moving the folder outside of my documents folder and putting it somewhere else. However, if I do this how do i tell ninja trader where to find the relocated folder?......do you thiink this could be causing the problem? The google drive notication will often look similar to the one I have attached below.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by sashol3; 08-07-2023, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Hello sashol3,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to move NinjaTrader's data folder. This is always stored in your PC's local Documents folder.

While it is possible to move this folder as a whole, it would also move all other files therein.

Based on my research it is also not possible to exclude subfolders from a Google Backup-covered folder.

This means as long as the Documents folder is being backed up, it is not possible to exclude the NinjaTrader folder therein.

My suggestion would be to disable the Google Backup for the Documents folder and instead apply it to the specific folders therein that you would like to see backed up.

Please don't hesitate to let me know, should you have any further questions!

Comment

Hello sashol3,

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to move NinjaTrader's data folder. This is always stored in your PC's local Documents folder.

While it is possible to move this folder as a whole, it would also move all other files therein.

Based on my research it is also not possible to exclude subfolders from a Google Backup-covered folder.

This means as long as the Documents folder is being backed up, it is not possible to exclude the NinjaTrader folder therein.

My suggestion would be to disable the Google Backup for the Documents folder and instead apply it to the specific folders therein that you would like to see backed up.

yeah, but do you think this is what is preventing me from importing scripts and ninja trader abruptly shutting down?

Comment

Hello sashol3,

If Google Backup reports errors, it would be quite possible that e.g. limited storage or deleted files result in these errors.

The errors you've experienced are what we expect to see when OneDrive blocks access or uploads files. OneDrive temporarily blocks write access to files while uploading them. If NinjaTrader attempts to write to these files during this time, errors occur.

I suspect that Google Drive might exhibit the same behavior. This would explain the errors.

Comment

Hello sashol3,

If Google Backup reports errors, it would be quite possible that e.g. limited storage or deleted files result in these errors.

The errors you've experienced are what we expect to see when OneDrive blocks access or uploads files. OneDrive temporarily blocks write access to files while uploading them. If NinjaTrader attempts to write to these files during this time, errors occur.

I suspect that Google Drive might exhibit the same behavior. This would explain the errors.

OK. Thanks. Frustrating and short sighted on NJT.

Comment

Hello sashol3,

I opened the google drive app in windows and i deselected to stop syncing the aforementioned documents folder that ninja trader resides in. Howver, I tried to import a couple of ninja scripts>indicators and I continue to get the same mishandled excetpion message

Comment

Hello sashol3,

Please reach out to us at support (at) ninjatrader (dot) com, referring to this post. One of our technicians could then schedule a call with you to take a closer look at these errors.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to your email!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                              16 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Leafcutter  
                              Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes