Synthetic Instruments in NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic Instruments in NT8

Is it possible to create a synthetic instrument with real time data? The only post that I found on this subject was back from 2011 so I didnt know if there were any advancements with NT8.

Hello cutzpr,

This would not be possible internally in NinjaTrader.

With an external program you can create synthetic data push the data to the External Data Feed in Ninja to a new instrument or any instrument to use that data. But you will not be able to connect to any other connections at the same time.

Internally in NinjaTrader 8, you could create an indicator with the values instead similar to how the HeikenAshi indicator works.

I will submit a feature request on your behalf for development to consider allowing for synthetic real-time data. Once I have a tracking ID for this request I will forward this to you for future reference.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 02-14-2019, 11:21 AM.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello cutzpr,

Our development would like to ensure that you are not able to accomplish this with an indicator.

May we have a use case for why this would be needed?

Are you trying to create a chart based on a calculation of one or more instruments similar to how the Spread indicator works?
      This is a conversion of the Spread Indicator with Candlesticks. Please contact the original author for any questions or comments.

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

Comment

Ok, lets say I am trying to make my own basket or index of instruments which i could trade automatically depending on the allotment I specify. An example would be I create my own basket or index and call it EUROPE. I would specify a certain certain allotment of each member of the synthetic instrument. To keep it simple I will just use FOREX with nice round numbers. (EUR/USD - 50%) (USD/CHF - 30%), (GBP/USD - 15%), (USD/SEK -15%)

So If I go long one EUROPE for a lot size of 100k. It will essentially go long 50k EUR/USD, 15k GBPUSD, and go short 30k USD/CHF and 15k USD/SEK..

This can easily be down from within a strategy.

Being able to compile and create the index for charting is possible using an indicator. But not directly trading it, you would have to manually do it.
        Last edited by cutzpr; 02-19-2019, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Hello cutzpr,

If you made a synthetic instrument you wouldn't be able to trade it. No broker would accept an order for a synthetic instrument.

But if you made an addon that places trades to multiple instruments that would work fine. You can use addon methods in an indicator to place orders to multiple instruments.

Can you clarify what the synthetic instrument is necessary for?

Comment

Yes, I know the broker wouldn't understand nor accept that synthetic instrument, it would be local to me. But my local machine would automatically place the trades I have specified as mentioned above. Could you please give me an example of an addon that would be able to do that?

Comment

Hello cutzpr,

I can provide an example of addons that place orders. You can choose what accounts the orders are placed to in your custom logic. The logic for placing orders will also work in an indicator. (Addon code works in any type of script basically anywhere)

https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...082#post536082
              http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...555#post515555

I still am not understanding any need for a synthetic instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
                Hello cutzpr,

Our development would like to ensure that you are not able to accomplish this with an indicator.

Are you trying to create a chart based on a calculation of one or more instruments similar to how the Spread indicator works?
                This is a conversion of the Spread Indicator with Candlesticks. Please contact the original author for any questions or comments.

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.
                Yes I would like to create a symbol based on how the instrument indicator works or reference the spread output as an input for another indicator.

Comment

Hello heikenashi1,

With the spread indicator call:
                  Spread(double qty1, double qty2, bool useMultiplier, string symbol)
                  Plots the Spread of two instruments The first instrument is the primary chart data series. The secondary instrument is specified by the parameter "Symbol2". The Parameters "Qty1" and "Qty2" are multipliers which are applied to each instrument's price before adding the two; default values are "Qty1=1" and "Qty2=‐1" which will simply plot the difference between […]

For example:
                  Print(Spread(1, -1, true, "ES 06-20"));

Or you can use the plot series as the input series for any indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post

You can create a new indicator like the Spread indicator that creates and plots(as candlesticks) new High\Low\Open\Close series.
                    It's not ideal, because you basically have to re-implement the candle rendering code in the indicators OnRender().
                    If you want to draw OHLC bars, got to re-implement that also, on and on for different bar plot types.
                    It's workable, but wouldn't it be better to be able to feed the custom spreads custom High\Low\Open\Close into a chart as the price series and let the chart draw render the data?

Also, what if I want to use the "@Pivots" or @PriorDayOHLC indicators against Spread indicators calculated HLOC. There is no way to feed all 4 calculated series into pivot........

Implementing this use case would add a tremendous amount of flexibility to Ninjatrader, and it seems like most of the pieces are in place.

Basically the same issue Here:

http://<a href="https://ninjatrader....dataseries</a>

Comment

Hello michelm,

As this is possible with an indicator it is something you can have now, similar to the Spread with candlesticks indicator.

I am happy to tell our developers a client insists on the feature request so a custom indicator does not have to be created if you would like.

Comment

I believe we should dig this up to make sure there is a feature request for this. It is true that you can chart a synthetic instrument using an indicator. However, creating synthetic instruments would allow a lot more flexibility. For instance, I would like to display my synthetic instrument in the market analyzer. With it as an indicator I can just get one column of the analyzer to show the price for that thing, and it will add it to every row. If I can make a synthetic instrument I can just add it like any other instrument to my list, and still have the market analyzer columns that are relevant show like any other instrument (IE volume might not display but Net change would).

Comment

Hello TheWhiteDragon,

I've submitted this is a feature request. This request is being tracked with ID# SFT-2260.

Please note, we receive many requests and cannot reasonably implement all requested features or changes. Interest is tracked internally and if enough interest is tracked, it would be weighed against how feasible it would be to make those changes to consider implementing, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment.

When new features are implemented, they will be listed in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide. The ID number may be different than the internal feature request tracking ID, but the description of the feature will let you know if that feature has been implemented.

Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Dear, Ninjatrader we need this!

Comment

Hello heikenashi1,

I have added your vote to SFT-2260.

Thank you for your voice on this.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post