Market Analyzer Alert page not allowing entry in 'Look back period'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market Analyzer Alert page not allowing entry in 'Look back period'

The Look Back period field is always protected from entry. I'm following the NT8 documentation. I've tried using different columns, and none work.

The screenshot is from Market Analyzer - right-click - Alert page. NT8 v.8.0.17.1 64-bit

The Market Analyzer does not inherently have a concept of historical data. It is a real-time data window unless other columns are added which do account for historical data (like an SMA indicator column).

Your screenshot is not appearing correctly. Could you re-upload using a different method, or describe in greater detail your exact Market Analyzer and alert setup?

Comment

Attached screenshot #1 shows SMA20 indicator added thru 'Market Analyzer / right-click / Columns'
      2nd screenshot shows an Alert Condition refrencing SMA20, with look back period protected.

Attached Files

Comment

This is expected when configuring alerts on the Market Analyzer. The Market Analyzer does not factor on bar closes like a chart. The Market Analyzer focuses on the price and the price right before this update. "Look back" technically refers to Data Series and Indicator. They both have a "series" of values that each index is based on the bar.

Comment

Thanks Patrick. In reading your response, I don't understand the utility of Look back period' on Market Analyzer Alerts.

I get that you're saying that it's not looking back 1 bar/candle (in my case 3-min bar), but instead something else - but I don't understand what that would be.

I know what a Data Series and an Indicator are - just not understanding how they apply here.

Even if it's looking at some other measure besides completed bars, why is the Look back period protected when I'm using an SMA column?

Comment

It seems that you're focusing on the fact that lookback period is there, locked, and set to 1. Ideally, this would not even be visible when configuring alerts in the Market Analyzer since there is no concept of lookback period when using the Market Analyzer. Lookback period is not used in the context of bars and is instead used to compare the current value to the last value update - thus it is '1' but really is not used.

Comment

Thank You Patrick. I understand now. when i reviewed the 'Alerts' documentation example, it was creating an alert from a chart - not from the Market Analyzer. The documentation is correct.

You are right that the fact the Look Back Period was visible (but protected) had me confused.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by kujista, Yesterday, 12:39 AM
              5 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by nleitman, Yesterday, 11:46 AM
              9 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB