Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 not saving lines on RTY charts

Hi,

Since about a week ago, NT8 has problem saving lines on the price chart of RTY. The drawn lines get deleted upon exiting each session (not at end of day). Lines on NQ charts are unaffected and are saved from session to session. While I cannot pinpoint any reason why this is happening, the timing seemed to be about the time when I upgraded NT8 to version 8.0.17.2 (64-bit). I have to re-draw all the support/resistance lines every new session.

Thank you in advance for your help on how to fix this issue.

I cannot reproduce this symptom when I follow these steps:
    • Open NinjaTrader 8
    • Create an RTY 03-19 1minute chart
    • Draw a vertical and horizontal line on the chart
    • Shut down NinjaTrader (choose 'yes to all')
    • Restart NinjaTrader
    You can reproduce this issue 100% of the time by drawing lines on an RTY chart then restarting NinjaTrader? If there are additional steps in order to reproduce the issue, please clarify them in your reply.

Are there any 'RTY xx-xx.xml' files within the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > templates > 'GlobalDrawingObject' folder?

Comment

Hi Patrick,

It seems the issue comes up during or upon exiting Playback rather than on exiting/restarting NT8.

I have tried various combination of steps and am unable to reproduce the same issue consistently.

I have only practiced RTY on Playback but not NQ.

I think part of the issue is that I had two workspaces open during Playback, one RTY 12-18 and the other RTY 03-19. (Prior to upgrading to NT8 about three months ago, I only had one workspace opened at a time during Playback.)

When I added new lines to the RTY 03-19 workspace and saved it, RTY 03-19.xml' was created within the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > templates > 'GlobalDrawingObject' folder.

Similarly, when I added new (different) lines to RTY 12-18 workspace and then saved it, RTY 12-18.xml' was created within the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > templates > 'GlobalDrawingObject' folder.

Upon exiting Playback, sometimes, not consistently, it would erase one or both of the .xml files.

One time, when RTY 03-19 was created, RTY 12-18 got deleted at the same time but it isn't always the case.

One time, not all of the lines were erased, a few remained. Usually, all the lines were erased along with the corresponding .xml file.

NQ 03-19.xml remains unaffected.

Another time, an error message popped up upon exiting Playback and I needed to restart the computer to be able to restart NT8. The error message was "Unable to recover NinjaTrader custom assembly. Please reinstall NInjaTrader. The process cannot access the file "C\Users|username\Documents\NinjaTrader 8 \bin\Custom\NinjaTraderVendor dll" because it is being used by another..."

All the above scenarios happened during the last hour while I was trying different tests.

-------------------------

I tried something differently for another hour.

Here are the steps that I can reproduce consistent results:

- Connect to NinjaTrader Continuum
      - open RTY 03-19 workspace
      - add new lines, some lines were created using the NinjaTrader default line setting (drawing tools/horizontal lines), others using user defined line templates
      - save this workspace and at this time, RTY 03-19.xml' was created within the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > templates > 'GlobalDrawingObject' folder
      - close this workspace
      - then disconnect NinjaTrader Continuum and connect to Playback
      - open RTY 12-18 workspace
      - save RTY 12-18 workspace (without even doing anything to this workspace)
      - as this workspace is being saved, RTY 03-19.xml gets deleted at the same time
      - disconnect Playback
      - re-connect to NinjaTrader Continuum
      - open RTY 03-19 workspace
      - only the lines that were created with the NinjaTrader default line setting remains; the ones created with user defined line templates were deleted.
      (I usually don't have any lines using default settings, and therefore, all the lines would disappear from my charts.)

I don't practice NQ on Playback and that's probably the reason I don't have issues with the drawn lines in the NQ workspace.

I repeated these above steps using only RTY 03-19 workspace for both NinjaTrader Continuum and Playback Connection and the lines and RTY 03-19.xml were okay and not deleted.

-------------------------

Comment

Did you follow the recommendation of the error message to reinstall NinjaTrader?

The fact that in step 4 you observe that a file was created in the 'GlobalDrawingObject' folder indicates that either your Default template or another template for the objects you drew in step 3 have 'Attach to all charts' saved as the default property. This is not the default setting of the 'Attach to' property. Which one of your templates defaults these objects to 'attach to all charts'? If you disable this in your drawing object templates, is any of this reproducible?

There are also a lot of variables involved in your steps that are unclear based on your steps. Namely:
        • What does the 'RTY 12-18' workspace contain?
        • How much market replay data do you have for RTY 12-18? What about RTY 03-19?

Comment

No, I did not reinstall NinjaTrader. Would I lose my custom settings when I uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader?

All of the objects I drew are horizontal lines and they are all attached to RTY 03-19 (All charts).

It seems the issue is with Playback. When RTY 12-18 workspace is open in Playback (the only workspace open) and I save it, RTY 03-19.xml gets deleted at the same time while RTY 12-18 workspace is being saved. This is reproducible 100% of the time.

There is about 60 days of RTY 12-18 market replay data and none for RTY 03-19.

I have not tried to disable "attach to all charts" and test if the issue is reproducible because I have already redrawn all the support/resistance lines and I would rather not have to redo them again. I have not connected to Playback today and everything has been working fine so far.

Comment

I would recommend that you reinstall NinjaTrader. Following the reinstall steps below (and in general) will not cause any loss or change to your custom files or settings:
            • Copy your license key from the Control Center > Help > License Key.
            • Close all running applications.
            • Uninstall NinjaTrader within Windows Control Panel.
            • Navigate to C:\ > Program File (x86) > Delete the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder if it exists
            • Reboot your PC.
            • Once these steps are completed, download and install NT8 from the link below.

I couldn't reproduce the symptom you're reporting after following these steps:
            • Connect to live data
            • Download RTY 12-18 12/9/2018 replay data
            • Workspace1
              • create a RTY 03-19 chart
              • Draw a horizontal and vertical line, set them to attach to all charts
              • save this workspace, close this workspace
            • A new workspace automatically opens (lets call this Workspace2)
            • Disconnect from live data
            • Connect to playback
            • Create an RTY 12-18 chart
            • Save Workspace2
            I observe no removal of the RTY 03-19 global xml file and no creation of the RTY 12-18 global xml file.

If I had to guess, I am suspecting that the start time of the global objects occurs during a time in which you have replay data for RTY 12-18. This is 'converting' the global objects to the prior contract months. Drawing objects created while connected to playback are expected not to persist after a disconnect or rewind in time.

Comment

Thank you, Patrick.

I will reinstall NinjaTrader.

Yes, some of the start time of the global objects in RTY 03-19 occur during a time in which there is replay data for RTY 12-18. So, this is likely the cause of the disappearing lines.

Comment

After further testing, we were able to recreate this issue on our end. The Development Team has already implemented a fix in our internal build of the platform. Look for "13601" in the release notes when a new version of the platform is released.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Comment

Thanks to you and and The Development Team for fixing the issue.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by benmarkal, Yesterday, 12:52 PM
                  3 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                  Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post sarafuenonly123