Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Indicators disappearing from my workspaces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicators disappearing from my workspaces?

Hi,

I have one basic workspace with two windows where both windows have multiple tiled tabs.

Quite often, it happens that I open NT8 as normal and find that my indicators are gone.

Funny thing is that having two windows, I can have the same indicator gone in window 1, but it's present on all my charts in window 2.

I've seen other people report the same issue.

FWIW, I use 3rd party indicators from TradingCoders.

It's time consuming and annoying to have to keep adding them back on...

Any advice?

Best regards and thanks.

Johnny

We'll need more information to investigate what you're reporting.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.X.X)

Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?

Are you able to reproduce the issue? If so, what steps do you take? Or does it appear to be random intermittent?

Are the indicators which are disappearing only custom indicators? Or do built-in indicators also disappear when this occurs?

Comment

Hi,

I use version 8.0.17.0 64-bit.

No errors on the screen.

No errors on the Log as far as I can see.

I have not tried to reproduce the issue. I can't see why I would attempt that. It does appear to happen rather randomly.

It have happened that after experiencing this I close NT8 without saving my workspaces and re-open to find my indicators back on.

The indicators which are disappearing are custom indicators from TradingCoders. I don't use built-in indicators, so I wouldn't know if this can happen with them also...

I just sent log/trace files to TradingCoders and they will take a look.

I have read other users report of this issue also, so I imagine it's not the first time you hear of it? If so - did you find any solutions on it?

I'm atataching my log/trace files. This time it happened on the 8th of March, but I attached the dates prior and after.

Best regards,

Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
        Hi,

I have one basic workspace with two windows where both windows have multiple tiled tabs.

Quite often, it happens that I open NT8 as normal and find that my indicators are gone.

Funny thing is that having two windows, I can have the same indicator gone in window 1, but it's present on all my charts in window 2.

Any advice?

Best regards and thanks.

Johnny
        Yep, happens to me randomly loads of times too. Too many time to recall over a very long period and multiple versions. Not even the same indicators. One day, a chart will just load with no indicators. Really annoying. At least it happened so many times, I am now in the habit of saving a chart template for each chart in order to easily restore them, and I need to do so pretty frequently (at least once a week). No errors seems to be reported. I am using the latest NT8, but this issue happens from _waaaay_ back.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
          Hi,

Any advice?

Best regards and thanks.

Johnny
          I have experienced a similar issue on a number of occasions but it doesn't appear to be consistently repeatable. I have a workspace with many charts and tabs and sometimes one of the tabs will load a basic chart without the indicators. The indicator list on that chart will be blank even though there were originally several indicators. If I shut down Ninja and restart the issue will generally fix itself. I have looked inside the log and trace files and cannot find anything particularly concerning. It appears to be an initial chart loading problem when a complex workspace is first opened. The same indicators (from a number of different providers) are present and working on other charts in the workspace when this happens.

Comment

Interesting comments, guys. I'm not surprised to hear this. And I've read about other users here who had the same thing happen.

Are you guys also using custom indicators or does this happen to you with NT's native indicators also?

Comment

Johnny, I downloaded then removed the log/trace file you provided here. DO NOT share these files publicly as they may contain sensitive information. There is no obvious reason why this symptom occurred from what I can see in your files on the 8th.

I see that you're using an older version of NinjaTrader 8. To update NinjaTrader, please follow the steps below.
              • First, copy your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
              • Click on the link: http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
              • Enter your license key and press Submit
              • Select 'NinjaTrader 8'
              • Select 'Download'
              • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.
              I would suggest that anyone experiencing this symptom contact me via email/send me their files from within the platform. This will allow me to work with everyone individually instead of trying to apply a blanket fix for a symptom that we do not yet understand the root cause of.
              • You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support
              • Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.
              • Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 2099051 ATTN PatrickG

Comment

Hi, Patrick,

Thanks for taking care of that.

I will update NT8, but I think we can say for sure in advance that this won't solve the issue. The exception would be if you guys know about this issue already and know that it has now been resolved in the latest version. I'm afraid that's not the case.

It would be very interesting if the other guys experiencing this issue can say if it happens with native NT indicators or just custom indicators. If the latter, NT probably can't be blamed or take responsibility for this.

It never happened using custom indicators on NT7 though.

Regards,

Johnny

Comment

I've had sounds like a similar issue dating back to when I moved to NT8 from NT7 years ago

I have been through several fairly lengthy attempts to get NT to fix it, but sorry to say they haven't been able to find anything wrong in the files I've sent, and they haven't been willing to pursue if further unless I can make it perform on demand, which it never would

And they said nobody else was reporting the same issue, so I was surprised to read the above

In the end, I turned off auto-connect and haven't had the problem since
                  I figure it was something to do with trying to connect to a feed that wasn't fully available, since most often it would do it at the end of a trading day if I tried to do some review

Comment

Originally posted by FMtrader View Post

I have experienced a similar issue on a number of occasions but it doesn't appear to be consistently repeatable. I have a workspace with many charts and tabs and sometimes one of the tabs will load a basic chart without the indicators. The indicator list on that chart will be blank even though there were originally several indicators. If I shut down Ninja and restart the issue will generally fix itself. I have looked inside the log and trace files and cannot find anything particularly concerning. It appears to be an initial chart loading problem when a complex workspace is first opened. The same indicators (from a number of different providers) are present and working on other charts in the workspace when this happens.
                    Well after not experiencing this issue for a few weeks I just fired up a workspace with about 10 charts and no indicators loaded on 9 of them!!! One day ago this workspace behaved normally. I now need to work out what has changed to caused this problem. For reasons I don't understand one chart has loaded properly with multiple indicators yet an almost identical chart with just a different time frame has loaded as a blank chart.

Comment

Originally posted by FMtrader View Post

Well after not experiencing this issue for a few weeks I just fired up a workspace with about 10 charts and no indicators loaded on 9 of them!!! One day ago this workspace behaved normally. I now need to work out what has changed to caused this problem. For reasons I don't understand one chart has loaded properly with multiple indicators yet an almost identical chart with just a different time frame has loaded as a blank chart.
                      UPDATE: It appears that the workspace involved had become completely corrupted even though NT8 was shut down normally on the previous occasion. I then restored the previous copy of that workspace and that was also corrupted! When I looked at the various backups of that workspace I noticed that the corrupted version was approximately 25% of the file size of the earlier backup versions. I finally loaded an earlier backup version of the workspace and was able to recover 99% of the current level of the workspace. I am simply unable to explain how the workspace became so corrupted when I did a normal save on exit.

Comment

Hello,

I find myself experiencing the same issue as in this thread.
                        I close NT8 normally and when opened, my indicators are missing from some charts. I am not able to replicate the problem since it happens intermittently.
                        Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have seen many other users have this same issue.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi, Newtrader101,

This haven't been a big problem for me lately, but it actually happened once last week.

Generally, I'm always able to solve this by immediately 1) closing my charts; 2) saving the workspace when asked and launching NT8 again. Usually, that solves it. But not always.

Seeing how others are experiencing it too, there's no doubt that this is some kind of bug.

Comment

Newtrader101 , are you running any firewall, virus protection, or automated backup software on your PC? If so, does the symptom ever persist if you temporarily disable and/or add exceptions for NinjaTrader so that NinjaTrader's files are ignored?

Also, do you notice any messages or errors in your log tab when this occurs? If so, what do they report?

Comment

No errors in the log. No virus protection. I do have a firewall, but NT8 is allowed through.
                              I do have windows set to auto backup. I can exclude NT8 from the selected files from which to backup and see if that helps.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                              Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post chbruno