Strange grid problem today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange grid problem today

I've observed a strange problem with my charts this morning. I use a custom trading hours template that excludes the Asian trading hours from my charts. The trading hours is 7am - 10pm GMT daily.

For some reason today all my 5 minute charts are showing the vertical grid at 2 hour intervals. If I switch to a trading hours template that shows overnight hours, I get the usual behavior on the 5 min chart of gridlines at 30 minute intervals.

I've spent the last hour fiddling with various things trying to fix this, but I can't work out what the problem is. I've attached a screenshot showing the chart with and without overnight hours shown, and a screenshot of my trading hours template that's in use. My time zone is GMT+0.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.X.X)

When the issue is occurring, right-click on your chart window > Properties > Expand 'Grid line - vertical' > Is 'visible' enabled? If not, does enabling 'visible' then pressing OK resolve the issue?

Comment

I'm using 8.0.17.0 Grid lines Vertical are enabled and visible

Comment

I see that you're using an older version of NinjaTrader 8. To update NinjaTrader, please follow the steps below.
        • First, copy your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
        • Click on the link: http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
        • Enter your license key and press Submit
        • Select 'NinjaTrader 8'
        • Select 'Download'
        • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.
        Can you reproduce this issue after clearing your cache? To delete the cache, follow the steps below.
        • Shut down NinjaTrader.
        • Open the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > db folder.
        • Delete the sub-folder named 'cache'.
        • Restart NinjaTrader and test.
        If so, can you reproduce this issue in safe mode? So we can further diagnose your system, please start NinjaTrader in Safe Mode.

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
        • Loading workspaces.
        • Connecting on start-up.
        • Loading custom assemblies.
        • Getting instrument updates from the server.
        To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
        • Exit NinjaTrader.
        • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
        • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
        • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.
        Once in safe mode, attempt to recreate the issue.

If this is possible in safe mode. can you attach the trading hours template file so I may test it on my end? You'll find it in Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > templates > TradingHours folder.

Comment

I will upgrade and try these suggestions.

By the way what is the best way to find out if there is a new version of Ninjatrader available? Is there a mailing list or anything similar?

Comment

You can monitor the News and Announcements subforums or check the release notes.

Comment

I've upgraded, cleared the cache, and started in safe mode. Still getting massive vertical grids on my custom trading hours template.

This is very strange, I use this trading hours template every day. I've never seen this before.

Comment

Here's my trading hours template. Could you try it and see if you've got the same problem? It seems to only occur when today's session split is visible. If I scroll the chart to the right so that the session split is off screen the grid goes back to 30 minute intervals as expected.
                Attached Files

Comment

I do not experience this issue on my end when I set NinjaTrader's timezone to UTC and implement your trading hours template:

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Please send me your templates, workspaces, log, and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.
                  • You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support
                  • Expand 'Other files' and enable 'Workspace files and UI settings' and 'Template files'
                  • Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 2102948 ATTN PatrickG

Comment

Would you mind trying again, with the session break in view? I've made a video of what I'm seeing...

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Comment

Here is what I get when I make a similar video:

At the end of my video, I right-click on the vertical price margin and select 'properties'. Is your 'horizontal grid lines' property set to automatic? If not, does setting it to automatic change the behavior?

Comment

It doesn't look like you're using the trading hours template in that video. The point of the template is to exclude the Asian session from my chart. I expect the hours 9pm - 7am to not appear on the chart, but they are clearly showing on yours in that video.

Comment

Disregard that - I see you flip the trading hours half-way through. You can see the grid jumps to 2 hour intervals when you flip the trading hours. Could you do this on a 1 minute chart please?

Comment

I've sorted out the root cause, which is a combination of a few things:
                            • The specific hours you've chosen to restrict the template to
                            • The volume at the times that are visible within this restriction
                            • 'Equidistant bar spacing' being enabled in your chart properties
                            6E has relatively low volume during some of the hours you've specified in your template. By default, NinjaTrader tried to create a smooth/gap-less chart. These in combination are forcing the change of the vertical grid lines since there is not a equal amount of time between bars anymore during the low volume times:

Right-clicking on your chart > Properties > Disabling 'Equidistant bar spacing' will resolve this.

Comment

Aha this makes sense now. The reason that this issue has come up for me this week is the USA has entered Summer time, but the Europe doesn't until the last Sunday in march - another 2 weeks. So my hours of 7am - 10pm actually extend 1 hour beyond the close at the moment.

Deselecting the equidistant bar option fixes the problem. So does using 7am-9pm trading hours for the next two weeks until our time zones sync up again. Both work.

Thanks for your help getting to the bottom of this!!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by MacDad, 02-25-2024, 11:48 PM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post loganjarosz123  
                              Started by Belfortbucks, Today, 09:29 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Belfortbucks