importing Add-ons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

importing Add-ons

I find importing add-ons quite time consuming and confusing sometimes... may I know,
    1. is there a way that I can select multiple add-ons to install at one time? AND
    2. it's quite painful to decide when to overwrite the newer versions of a function or when should not. Those dialogue boxes do not give too much information. Any chance to improve the dialogue box to include the diff() info?

Hello timko,
    Thanks for your post.

1. is there a way that I can select multiple add-ons to install at one time?
    No, you should only install addons one at a time.

2. it's quite painful to decide when to overwrite the newer versions of a function or when should not. Those dialogue boxes do not give too much information. Any chance to improve the dialogue box to include the diff() info?
    Sometimes programmers will need to make changes to those files or use a different version of those files, so that is why the option is there. As a user you should generally select to keep the old versions unless otherwise instructed.

What do you mean by "diff() info"? Do you mean what the difference is between using the newer version or keeping the older version?
    Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Josh, Thanks for your reply. Yes, displaying the code differences will be nice. Somehow, I think my suggestion was not so thoughtful indeed. I think NT should devise a scheme to allow installation of a function having the same name yet uniquely identifiable to the original indicator script package. anyway, it's very painful right now. just my 2 cents.

Comment

timko,

Thanks for the feedback. I see a similar feature request that would add the ability to leave out NinjaTrader built in indicators inside an export. This would effectively eliminate most cases where you would see the 'existing file' message when you are importing.

Do you agree that this would solve the issue or do you have something more specific in mind?

Comment

leaving out the standard build solves only part of the problem. why not let me suggest to give a serial number to each installation and when a script calls a function, NT first calls the serial numbered version first. If no, then falls back to display a list of versions that a user can choose from. It's sort of a lookup table. It should be great if NT can also provide a "harmonize" feature to eliminate duplications.

Comment

but in the mean time, as an easier implementation, Josh, please add the following two columns to the indicator selection window:
            1. Installer name (ie, the zip file name at time of the add-on import)
            2. the source path (ie, the zip file path at the time of the add-on import)
            It should be nice if right clicking the source path to open the unzipped folder, if the zip file still exists

Comment

timko,

it's quite painful to decide when to overwrite the newer versions of a function or when should not.
              I went ahead and added your vote to SFT-2728 for this one and included your notes on the serial number functionality.

is there a way that I can select multiple add-ons to install at one time?
              I added your vote SFT-1021 for the selection of multiple import files at once.

please add the following two columns to the indicator selection window:
              1. Installer name (ie, the zip file name at time of the add-on import)
              2. the source path (ie, the zip file path at the time of the add-on import)
              It should be nice if right clicking the source path to open the unzipped folder, if the zip file still exists
              Thanks for the suggestion. I have recorded this as a new feature request under the tracking number SFT-3885.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist.

Comment

Josh, thanks a lot!!!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post jclose
                by jclose