Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Multiple concurrent Workspaces or Windows Virtual Desktops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple concurrent Workspaces or Windows Virtual Desktops?

Does anyone (Support or Users) have advice (if so, basis for) and/or experience:
    - run more than 1 open Workspace & switch between them
    - run more than 1 Windows Virtual Desktops, with different Workspaces in each & switch between

I have done both before in NT7, & can't recall problems with either nor benefits of one over the other. With multiple Workspaces I used an indicator called Workspace Changer which allowed easy switching from within a chart. I recall other tools available mainly to facilitate laptop trading with limited screen space. One for e.g. put a 'trading chart in a large window, and others in mini ones so could still see them, tab around what went on the 'trading window'. I doubt if similar are available for NT8 and anyhow don't want to use ANY third-party indicators yet.

So, I would run with multiple Workspaces open & switch via the Wkspace Menu, or WindowsCtrlTab for Virtual Desktops.

My objective is not laptop, but to be able to observe multiple Futures markets (currencies, commodities, indices - usual suspects, 15 or so) concurrently, and then switch to a different workspace layout for trading (multiple timeframe charts visible etc, Dom), maybe 3 or 6 instruments per 'trading workspace'.

I'd be grateful for any opinions both from a 'resources & potential technical problems perspective', and user experience - I'm sure I'm not the first to want this.

I'm grappling with what to best use chart and Dom tabs for, instrument & interval linking (I know what they do & use instrument linking) & how they may be used to help me. I expect they can 'cos Ninja built them, just haven't figured out how & haven't found much by way of examples. All suggestions welcome. I'd prefer to do this only once....!

I have 2 X 43" 4k screens solely for trading - I only use charts & Dom, no T&S, Order Flow ladders etc. (separate monitor for Control Panel etc)

Thanks

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you for your post.

You can utilize the Hot Keys in NinjaTrader 8 to switch workspaces. Please go to the Control Center > Tools > Hot Keys menu. Then go to the Global options where you can configure Hot Keys for Next, Previous, Close, and Save Workspace.

For information on Hot Keys please visit the following link: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ey_manager.htm

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Hello Patrick & thanks.
      That is good to know & helpful if I go that route.
      My question though (and it may be implied in your answer), is would you recommend that I run multiple open workspaces in Ninja and switch between them, or open one Ninja Workspace and open several virtual desktops?
      Kind regards

Comment

Oh and you've reminded me of something - when I tried to switch to 8 last time I found ALL the Windows keyboard shortcuts had been stripped in 8. E.g. with CC active, alt+F opens the File drop-down menu, alt+O the Tools menu etc. I logged a 'Feature request' at the time, although it isn't a feature request, it's a feature re-instatement.
        Can you tell me the status please?
        Kind regards
        Bruce

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you for your response.

I would say that comes down to preference. The multiple Workspaces option would mean that not every window was open at all times and any indicator or alert that is set to IsSuspendedWhileInactive will not run while not being in the open workspace and on an open window, so there is a potential performance gain in that regard.

Do you have the SFT ID for the Hot Keys feature request you submitted?

I look forward to your response.

Comment

Hello Patrick,
            Ok I understand, that is helpful. A learning curve trying to think through the ramifications of different ways of implementing. Conversely you're saying an open virtual desktop will effectively be 'live' even when not visible, and hence the workspace in it. So it's a matter of whether multiple live Workspaces cause me performance problems, traded against whether not being live, when not visible, is problematic. And you don't caution against having multiple Workspaces running concurrently in 8, per se.
            Thanks

I don't have an SFT for the Windows keyboard shortcuts. I was gob-smacked to find it so, given that they are a core Windows feature - to check my sanity I just started opening programs on my other PC. Starting from the top alphabetically, from whatever Vendor, from Adobe until I stopped at hotComm they all implement this as did 7, where I use them every day.

Kind regards
            Bruce

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you for your response.

I will forward your request to our development team.

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you for your patience.

This feature request has been assigned the internal tracking number of SFT-575.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

any update? are tabbed workspaces supported in ninjatrader??
                  it exist on tradestation long ago and its mandatory !

Comment

Hello orenytz,

Unfortunately there is no update for SFT-575. It is still on the list of possible future enhancements.

Tabbed workspaces are not supported in NinjaTrader 8. However you can find workspaces at Control Center-->Workspaces. If you see a green icon in front of the workspace, it indicates the workspace is opened and displayed on your monitor. If you see a grey icon, the workspace is opened in the background. You can only display 1 workspace at a time. You can toggle between the workspaces you have opened using Shift + F3. More information regarding workspaces can be found at the link below.

JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ok. hope to see this feature soon
                      thanks

Comment

This is how i setup my virtual desktops and workspaces combined, might help some here https://youtu.be/OnWp-Z9YE4I
                        xabcdtrading
                        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

I know I am late to this thread, but would like to add that instead of switching workspaces between monitoring the market and trading, another option is to have charts from both workspaces up simultaneously. This is especially true if you're already using multiple monitors, and can use remote desktop across all of the monitors.

With a sufficiently powerful VPS, even 50+ charts with indicators is not a problem. A dedicated server for trading will always outperform a similarly spec'd home computer.

To take it further, the CPU of the VPS matters. Many providers use older Intel Xeons, but newer AMD Ryzen CPU have much better performance. One AMD Ryzen core can equate to Multiple Intel Xeon Cores. I'd recommend asking your VPS provider for the CPU hardware details.

We offer multi core AMD Ryzen 3900x CPUs, DDR4 RAM, and NVMe SSD. The lowest tier plan can run dozens of charts, indicators, strategies, etc. without a problem.

So instead of switching workspaces, another option can be to setup all of your monitors to have all of the charts from both workspaces combined and running simultaneously.

Would highly recommend checking out https://www.ninjamobiletrader.com/

Listed on the NinjaTrader ecosystem: https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/sea...biletrader-vps

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
                          Hello Patrick,
                          Ok I understand, that is helpful. A learning curve trying to think through the ramifications of different ways of implementing. Conversely you're saying an open virtual desktop will effectively be 'live' even when not visible, and hence the workspace in it. So it's a matter of whether multiple live Workspaces cause me performance problems, traded against whether not being live, when not visible, is problematic. And you don't caution against having multiple Workspaces running concurrently in 8, per se.
                          Thanks

I don't have an SFT for the Windows keyboard shortcuts. I was gob-smacked to find it so, given that they are a core Windows feature - to check my sanity I just started opening programs on my other PC. Starting from the top alphabetically, from whatever Vendor, from Adobe until I stopped at hotComm they all implement this as did 7, where I use them every day.

Kind regards
                          Bruce

Last edited by Vendor_NT_Mobile; 03-01-2021, 10:27 AM.
                          Vendor_NT_Mobile
                          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Ninja Mobile Trader VPS

Comment

Dear mobile NT vendor. If your going to advertise in every single possible forum post by some how twisting things to make people think they need a vps ... can you at least contribute something useful to the topic?

Originally posted by Vendor_NT_Mobile View Post
                            With a sufficiently powerful VPS, even 50+ charts with indicators is not a problem. A dedicated server for trading will always outperform a similarly spec'd home computer.

To take it further, the CPU of the VPS matters. Many providers use older Intel Xeons, but newer AMD Ryzen CPU have much better performance. One AMD Ryzen core can equate to Multiple Intel Xeon Cores. I'd recommend asking your VPS provider for the CPU hardware details.

We offer multi core AMD Ryzen 3900x CPUs, DDR4 RAM, and NVMe SSD. The lowest tier plan can run dozens of charts, indicators, strategies, etc. without a problem.

So instead of switching workspaces, another option can be to setup all of your monitors to have all of the charts from both workspaces combined and running simultaneously.

Would highly recommend checking out https://www.ninjamobiletrader.com/

Listed on the NinjaTrader ecosystem: https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/sea...biletrader-vps

Comment

Hello, I'm sorry that the comments came off as not useful, that is certainly not the intention.

The reason for the comment was because in the original post, brucerobinson wrote "My objective is not laptop, but to be able to observe multiple Futures markets (currencies, commodities, indices - usual suspects, 15 or so) concurrently, and then switch to a different workspace layout for trading (multiple timeframe charts visible etc, Dom), maybe 3 or 6 instruments per 'trading workspace'." Additionally there was discussion regarding virtual desktops.

Most of the discussion was around how to manage workspaces while reducing the performance impact of multiple live workspaces. Thus our comment for VPS as an option to the performance issue seemed to be on topic. With a our VPS, even running 50+ simultaneous charts with indicators wouldn't be a problem so the issue with workspaces could be solved by merging all the workspaces together. For screen space, you can connect an additional monitor and run the remote connection across all screens. A VPS is not the only way to solve performance, but it is a quick and easy solution that anyone can get started with immediately instead of heavily investing into a new home machine and internet fail safes.

You are correct that not every trader needs a VPS. For example the founder of futures.io, Big Mike, does not use a VPS but instead has multiple home internet connections for redundancy https://futures.io/tech-support/3766...edundancy.html. As traders become more serious about trading as their primary income, redundancy is critical. This is even more true when it comes to running automated strategies, but also true for discretionary chart trading. Some traders prefer running their own servers out of their homes. Others prefer the VPS route so that they can focus 100% of their efforts on trading.

Again, apologies for the comment not coming off as useful.

User1104, I see that in your past posts, specifically https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...rt#post1084212, you advertise the youtube video https://youtu.be/OnWp-Z9YE4I, by a Vendor named XABCD Trading.

You also have several posts linking to other xabcd material/blog posts, leading me to think User1104 is an alt account for xabcdtrading? https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...9-xabcdtrading.

You provide a valuable service to the community through your indicators and education. We hope we can work together to educate traders on options available to them. We agree with you that the same VPS message in irrelevant topics is not useful, and we target our messaging to only the topics where VPS can be a useful solution.

We pride ourselves on our high performance servers, and are located in reliable Chicago data centers with <1 ms connections in Chicago. The attached screenshot shows a speed test run over a Windows Server with <1 ms Ping to Chicago.

Traders not located in the USA, especially international traders that trade CME instruments would be well served with our VPS and a Chicago based broker like NinjaTrader Broker.

Additionally, here is a PING to CQG server in Chicago showing 1 ms latency. (IP from http://www.cqgtrader.com/SCHelp/CQG/...ifications.htm)

Click image for larger version  Name:	1 ms Ping CQG.PNG Views:	0 Size:	6.4 KB ID:	1144273

Originally posted by User1104 View Post
                              Dear mobile NT vendor. If your going to advertise in every single possible forum post by some how twisting things to make people think they need a vps ... can you at least contribute something useful to the topic?

Last edited by Vendor_NT_Mobile; 03-01-2021, 02:31 PM.
                              Vendor_NT_Mobile
                              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Ninja Mobile Trader VPS

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                              Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post adeelshahzad