Platform updates affecting custom add-ons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Platform updates affecting custom add-ons

Hi Could Ninjatrader explain why there are constant upgrades which then leave 3rd party paid indicators useless only having to pay for the 3rd party indicator update again and again and again. This seems like a money grab to me that Ninja trader then use to pay kickbacks to some of these 3rd parties for advertising Ninjatrader. Why can't the code be stable and ensure seamless transition from version to version including 3rd party paid for indicators.

Originally posted by stephan06 View Post
    Hi Could Ninjatrader explain why there are constant upgrades which then leave 3rd party paid indicators useless only having to pay for the 3rd party indicator update again and again and again. This seems like a money grab to me that Ninja trader then use to pay kickbacks to some of these 3rd parties for advertising Ninjatrader. Why can't the code be stable and ensure seamless transition from version to version including 3rd party paid for indicators.
    you should remove that indicator. All my indicators doesn't need any change from version to version.

Comment

Originally posted by stephan06 View Post
      The only time that the machine ID changes for you to need to update your 3rd party indicator is if you upgrade your BIOS or change the motherboard or move it to a different machine. There maybe more but I cant think of any more. The people who you should be angry with are the developers charging you this fee. As stated above remove the indicator no need to change from version to version.

Comment

Well, code breaking changes are another.(that is if the developer is charging).

I've only heard about v6 to v7 to v8 changes where people get charged. I don't see how that's constant. 2nd version of NT in 10 years?

Comment

I must not be typing in English, every significant upgrade since Ninja Trader's inception 6.5 v.. and many version upgrades within 6.5 7.0 and I am sure 8 will be no different, 3rd party paid for indicators that worked in a specific Ninja 7 version won't always work int he next version upgrade of 7.0. The 3rd party indicator worked fine thus the changes that break the indicator is Ninja trader coding in the next version within 7.0 etc.

Comment

I can understand your perspective in that it is very inconvenient if an update affects your custom add-ons, however, I assure you that NinjaTrader only makes changes in order to improve NinjaTrader as a whole and is in no way attempting to make any additional money by providing a better platform to our users.

There are 'code breaking changes' rarely in NinjaTrader updates, but all of this is documented in our release notes and code base so that developers can adjust their code. There has not been a code breaking change in quite some time in either version of the platform. Unfortunately, NinjaTrader has no control over whether or not developers choose to charge for their products in these scenarios.

Final note here - AndyM is correct in that licensing for custom indicators may be affected by your PC updating in some way (not NinjaTrader). If your machine ID has changed, NinjaTrader 8 will automatically remove your license key, username and password, and other sensitive information. This is a purposeful security feature. This feature prevents others from being able to access your personal information simply by stealing your files and loading them onto another PC.

NinjaTrader does not control your machine ID directly. Your machine ID is generated by NinjaTrader based on your PC's fundamental hardware (like RAM, motherboard, etc.) and fundamental software (BIOS/UEFI version, Windows updates, firmware updates, etc.). If any of these items change, your machine ID is likely to change as well. There is no way to manually change your machine ID.

If your machine ID has changed and it is affecting your add-on licensing, you will need to reach out to the add-on vendors with your new machine ID.
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 04-01-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by hazylizard, Today, 08:38 AM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post hazylizard  
            Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post geddyisodin