Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Way to combine orders rather than stack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to combine orders rather than stack?

Hi, for example when dragging a profit taker order on top of another one, the 2 orders do not combine, but rather remain as 2 separate orders.
    This causes me to get charged double commission when the orders are hit.

Can you tell me if there is a built in feature/option/shortcut key to enable combine rather than stack? just want to know before I waste time coding a workaroud.

Thanks

Hello anon84,

Thank you for your note.

Are these profit target orders for the same active ATM strategy?

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Hi there

sometimes and sometimes not, but I can work with it if you say there is a way to merge when using the same ATM.

I need a dozen different ATM strats to control my position size because I need a different stop & share size for every stock (of course). For example I have ATMs named based on gridline sizes : '0.5x 50pt grids' '2.0x 50pts grids' etc. Then I can quickly see from the chart what kind of stop size I need and select the closest ATM that matches it.

When I add to a position (might need a slightly different ATM depending on stop/share size requirements) then NT adds another stop and profit order on the chart. This is expected though I'd love if the stop orders were merged into 1. On the other hand it's handy to have 2 profit taking orders on the chart. Gives more options for how to manage the trade.

The issue is when I decide to add to a winning trade, I now need 1 combined stop to avoid double fees, so I started using a clunky method of manually making a non-ATM stop at my full position size along with 1 or 2 exit orders, then cancelling the ATM orders. Yes it gets annoying to manage when you want to add again or exit half which then requires manually changing the size of the stop order each time.

I have an idea of the logic required to do a workaround via a strategy but wanted to ask first before reinventing the wheel. It's possible there could be a feature like if CTRL is held while dropping one order onto another then they combine into 1 order, or an option somewhere that dictates how you want stacked orders to be managed.

Thanks for the support

Comment

Hello anon84,

Thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify- you are on the latest build of NinjaTrader 8? Version 8.0.17.2?

And when you try to click on a profit target in a SuperDOM for example and click on another target from the same ATM to combine them, they are not combining?

I am asking because I am finding that they do combine when following these steps. I am using an ATM strategy with three profit targets and three stop losses and I'm able to click and drag two of my profit targets and combine them with the third.

What exactly is happening on your end when you attempt this?

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Hi Chris, yes I am on the latest version and I tried your test: ATM with 3 targets/stops and moving the orders to the same price.

Although this ends up with only 1 stop and profit order line shown on the chart, they are still listed as 6 separate orders in the order panel. This would cause triple commissions if any of those blocks of 3 were hit.

Comment

Unfortunately the only way to accomplish what you desire would be to cancel the single quantity orders then resubmit a three quantity order.

I would also recommend that you double-check with your broker that the triple-charge for commissions in this scenario is accurate. With NinjaTrader Brokerage, for example, you are charged commission based on the total quantity. So three separate orders of one quantity would be identical to one order of three quantity regarding commission charges.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
            47 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post aligator  
            Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post jaybedreamin