Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 8 Crashing - Not Responding

Hello

I am presently running NT 8 version 8.0.17.0 64-bit. About 2-3 times per day my computer system becomes very sluggish with NT8 running. For example, form time to time, I open up a web browser to check market news websites and it takes a long time to load. When this happens, switching from on NT8 workspace to another can take as long as 15-20 mins. Even clicking on a chart to place an order can cause the charting space to turn black, then dim, and become unresponsive for 2-5 mins before I can do anything. I find myself having to shut down NT8 and reload it.

I have rebuilt workspaces, rebuilt charts on those workspaces, thinking something might be corrupted, but nothing is changing. I noticed that when this happens the memory and power usage on my computer system is very high. On this computer I have the entire Office 365 suite, NT8, and a the web browser that comes with windows as well as google chrome.

The charts contain multiple custom indicators. I am trying to figure out were the problem is occurring. I suspect its my system. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be potential causes. Below are some screen shots...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ss3.png
Views:	592
Size:	738.9 KB
ID:	1053499
    Attached Files

Hello MarthaClines,

Thank you for your note.

A performance item like this can have multiple variables, it would be best for us to review your log and trace files to better assist here.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "ATTN CHRIS S 2122296" in the subject line so I may investigate this matter further.
    • Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
    • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
    • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

As a matter of interest, I have the same problem.
      This happens when I stretch my computer when asking Strategy Analyser to optimize too many parameters.
      I get over this by selecting fewer parameters and then helps the computer from struggling.

For me the answer is to upgrade my computer to have a faster processor more cores and more memory, there are for instance computers with 18 cores if you have the money !

Whenever my computer struggles I get the same type of scenario as your screen shot

Comment

Can some one from NT confirm if having more cores would help? I am having the same problem. I have 4 Cores and 8 threads and 32 Gig Memory. I was informed that Ninjatrader uses only 1 core regardless of how many cores you have on your PC.

Comment

Also for using Ninjatrader would having more Cores help? or more memory? which one is better?

Comment

Hello agassi,

Thank you for your note.

NinjaTrader 8 is capable of taking advantage of multiple cores for better performance and so theoretically you should experience better performance with more cores and memory.

Please let us know if we may assist further.

Comment

Can some one respond?

Comment

Originally posted by agassi View Post
                Can some one respond?
                No, throwing more hardware at NT will change nothing. Many threads about it. The problem you are experiencing is from a memory leak that is inherent to NT and has been there for years. The only way to run optimizations, eg, is to do so before you run out of memory. Getting more memory only allows for a few more minutes before that happens. Most optimizations normally take hours. This issue is one of several reasons why I have opted to not upgrade to the full pay version of NT and continue using the free version. As free software, many issues are forgivable. As a $1000 piece of software it isn't even something to consider because it is so broken. The support team is great, but often we are only told "this issue has been logged for a future revision" and then ten years and a whole version goes by and none of those things get fixed. So it is best to limit your expectations. Good luck!
                Last edited by Smoky; 01-02-2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

This is so frustrating. I was told by a platform support rep that having more cores will help. So i was planning to go buy some fancy PC. Right now I have 4 cores and 8 threads with 64 Gig memory and still doesn't help. What are my options with regards to this memory leak?

Comment

Hello agassi,

Thank you for your note and I am sorry to hear about your frustration with this item and that you are still experiencing these symptoms.

Please write into us at PlatformSupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com so that we may investigate your case more thoroughly.

Please also follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to your email so we may investigate this matter further.
                    • Open your NinjaTrader folder under, "Documents" (sometimes called, "My Documents")
                    • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                    • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
                    • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this item.
                    Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                    Started by kulwinder73, Today, 10:31 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes