Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application is in break mode when attaching to debugger

Hello,

Approximately once a month - or once every few weeks I am getting something corrupted (without any changes to 3rd party indicators) - and I am loosing capability of being able to debug NinjaTrader strategies/indicators from Visual Studio... I don't know what is causing it (maybe version control, maybe resharper, maybe 3rd party indicators, etc...) - and the only way to recover from it that I found is to completely re-install NinjaTrader and all 3rd party indicators - then it works fine for another few weeks...

Is there a workaround to NOT re-install the whole NinjaTrader - but maybe clear something out... or maybe repair installation without having to re-install and re-configure everything every time...?

Please see screenshot with the issue that happens now when I am trying to attach Visual Studio to NinjaTrader 8 64 bit... And once I hit "Stop" in Visual studio - Ninja would crash... Wondering if I have to go through this process again of completely uninstalling NinjaTrader, and re-installing it with all other indicators...

Thanks
    Attached Files

Hello music_p13,

Thanks for your post.

I would suspect that something has changed in the Visual Studio project which brings this issue up. I may suggest creating 2 clean environments (I.E. Documents/NinjaTrader 8/ and Documents/NinjaTrader 8 CLEAN/ where NinjaTrader 8 CLEAN is confirmed to be working as well as your typical NinjaTrader 8 folder.) The platform folders should be identical except for debugging/using Visual Studio with one platform folder. Once the issue happens again, you can close NinjaTrader and rename your clean environment to "NinjaTrader 8" to confirm if debugging in that environment is working.

If the clean environment is working when the other environment is not, this narrows the issue down to something different between these platform folders. I would suggest then to test dropping in the other Visual Studio project file in the affected platform's Documents/NinjaTrader 8/bin/Custom to see if this resolves the issue. If it does, then this would indicate a change in these files that is creating the issue. You may examine that file closer to see what change caused the issue.

Clean environment test:

Creating a clean environment can be done by following the steps below:
    1. Close NinjaTrader 8, and rename the "NinjaTrader 8" folder in My Documents to something like: "NinjaTrader 8 OLD"
    2. Uninstall NinjaTrader from the Windows Control Panel and reinstall using the installer from http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
    If you ever need to switch back to your original platform, you may do so by closing NinjaTrader and swapping the platform folder names.

For example, Close NinjaTrader and rename the new "NinjaTrader 8" folder to "NinjaTrader 8 NEW" and the "NinjaTrader 8 OLD" folder to "NinjaTrader 8." Then restart the platform. Simply put: NinjaTrader 8 will always load the "NinjaTrader 8" folder in My Documents.

It may be helpful for other users to hear your results, so I may encourage you to share your findings after taking these steps.

I look forward to being of any further assistance.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks,

I have isolated which 3rd party indicator with associated Add-On are causing the issue...

It seems that sometimes the Config.xml changes the order of some sections sometimes, and once Re-Compiled - in some instances - it basically changes NinjaTrader.Custom.dll which in some cases fails to load modules in the right order...

I was able to put 3rd party indicator back, re-arranged order and it finally worked...

Kinda hard to isolate the issue, but looks like NinjaTrader sometimes re-arranges <GeneralOptions> and <References> to put them at the end of the file, and I suspect that sometimes causes issues in Visual Studio...
      Last edited by music_p13; 04-09-2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
      4 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post quantismo  
      Started by love2code2trade, 04-17-2024, 01:45 PM
      4 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post love2code2trade