Multicore processing with NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multicore processing with NT8

I'm converting from NT7 to NT8, and have just purchased a new computer with 18 cores. I'm curious how multiple cores interact with NT8 and the speed difference that would be expected, as I load several charts at once that can take up to 2-3 hours to load. Is it that each core would be allocated to one chart, or all the cores would be utilised to load a single chart?

Hello Bonzai78,

Thank you for your note.

The way that applications interact with your CPU is completely determined by your operating system. You may utilize the resource monitor to check each individual core. It will show you a graph of each CPU core as well as tell you which core each process is using. The multithreading code for NinjaTrader is abstracted to be independent of your computers hardware architecture. The code that is written communicates with Windows, then Windows will decide which core to use.

Please let us know if we may assist further.

Comment

Thanks for responding. I'm still a little confused though. For example, NT7 only uses one core, despite having 18 to work with. That isn't Windows' fault, it's NT7 not being able to utilize multiple cores. So is there a certain limit on how many cores NT8 can use, despite Windows, like with NT7? Does NT8 also only use one core??

Comment

Hello Bonzai78,

Thank you for the reply.

To clarify, yes NinjaTrader 7 is programmatically limited to only utilizing a single core. It is fundamentally a single threaded/single core application.

In NinjaTrader 8, there is no hard cap on how many cores it may access. Each instrument is assigned its own unique thread and there is no "limit" to how many threads can be utilized in the platform.

Please let us know if further questions come up.

Comment

Hi,
          Can you please clarify on this point for NT8 & CPU cores, I am trialing a strategy across 28 different instruments on the 240 minute timeframe, the strategy places hundreds of orders across these charts. Would the NT8 application benefit from a CPU with 64 cores over a CPU with 32 cores?

Comment

Based on your description of what you're strategy is doing, more cores would likely not improve performance since only 28 threads would be needed. Better single-core performance across your 32 available cores/threads may improve performance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post DynamicTest  
            Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post ScottWalsh