Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

what are tickers in NinjaTrader for micro E-mini futures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are tickers in NinjaTrader for micro E-mini futures?

reference:

Get answers to frequently asked questions about Micro E-mini Index futures, including details about the launch of the product and more.

Or do we need to set up from scratch? Could you give guide to set it up assuming continuum is the data provider?

You should not have to configure these manually. The symbols will be added to the NinjaTrader 8 database once we receive the final information regarding these products from the CME.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
      You should not have to configure these manually. The symbols will be added to the NinjaTrader 8 database once we receive the final information regarding these products from the CME.
      What about NT7?

Comment

NinjaTrader 7 cannot be updated on-the-fly like NinjaTrader 8, so another solution will need to occur for NinjaTrader 7 users. Since we do not have any details from the CME, we also do not have any definitive plans, but when we do have more information we'll have clear instructions for all users on how to get these new symbols.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
          NinjaTrader 7 cannot be updated on-the-fly like NinjaTrader 8, so another solution will need to occur for NinjaTrader 7 users.
          By "another solution", I presume you mean a new "point" release of NT7 ?

Which means NT7 users will need to download and upgrade to the new NT7 version, as soon as you release it ...

Is this correct?

When will this new "point" release for NT7 be ready?

Comment

NinjaTrader has added the new micro e-mini futures instruments into the NinjaTrader database. The symbols are as follows:
            • M2K = Micro E-mini Russell 2000 Futures
            • MES = Micro E-mini S&P 500 Futures
            • MNQ = Micro E-mini Nasdaq-100 futures
            • MYM = Micro E-mini Dow futures

An uninstall, reinstall, and instrument reset is necessary to receive these new symbols. This is required even if you're using the latest version of NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.40. Please follow the following steps (this will not affect or remove your custom files or settings):
            • Copy your license key from the Control Center > Help > License Key window.
            • Close all running applications.
            • Uninstall NinjaTrader within Windows Control Panel.
            • Reboot your machine.
            • Once these steps are completed, download and install NT7 from the link below.
            Once installed, reset your instruments:
            • Disconnect from your data feed: NinjaTrader Control Center> File> Disconnect> Select your data feed.
            • Reset your Instruments: NinjaTrader Control Center> Tools> Options> Data tab> Reset Instruments> OK.
            • Restart NinjaTrader
            After the instrument reset, you should find these new instruments within the NinjaTrader Instrument Manager.

Comment

Thanks, Patrick.

Why isn't the NT7 database upgrade being rolled out as a new version, such as 7.0.1000.41?

I'm just curious, but wouldn't a new NT7 version work to alleviate confusion amongst the masses?

I mean, it would make release notes easier, upgrade instructions simpler, etc ... right?

Comment

The 7.0.1000.40 installer was updated with the new instruments. This minor change did not warrant a full new version release. Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass this on to the Development Team.

Comment

Thanks, the upgrade from the old 7.0.1000.40 to the new 7.0.1000.40 worked fine, I can now see the micro e-mini's in Instrument Manager.

Comment

Hi, not sure I've posted to this forum before so not sure how it works exactly but I am curious about the uninstall/reinstall idea above. Won't I lose all my Workspaces, ATM's etc. I'd like to get the new instruments but I'm not willing to redo all that stuff. Any help would be appreciated.
                    Thanks, Craig

Comment

Originally posted by CraigMcg View Post
                      Hi, not sure I've posted to this forum before so not sure how it works exactly but I am curious about the uninstall/reinstall idea above. Won't I lose all my Workspaces, ATM's etc. I'd like to get the new instruments but I'm not willing to redo all that stuff. Any help would be appreciated.
                      Welcome to the forum!

No, re-installing won't affect the "user" parts of NinjaTrader.

Why?
                      Re-install does not touch your "<USER>/Documents/NinjaTrader 7" folder -- since all your templates,
                      workspaces, historical data, ATMs, etc are stored under this folder, none of these items will be affected.
                      All your custom Indicators, Strategies, BarTypes, etc, will be preserved (because they, too, are stored
                      under this folder).

[EDIT: In other words, and just to be super clear, neither the un-install process nor the re-install process
                      affect the "user" parts of NinjaTrader. Of course, setup.exe is the "installer" program but it is able to easily
                      infer whether a fresh-install or a re-install is needed based upon which user files and subfolders already
                      exist. The end result is pretty simple: If any of the required subfolders and files are missing inside your
                      "user" folder then the setup.exe copies or creates a fresh version of that file or subfolder. If all user files
                      and subfolders are missing, then it's a completely fresh-install, just like a first-time installation. But if all
                      the necessary user folders and files already exist (remember, un-install never deletes these) the setup.exe
                      installer process (er, I mean, re-installer) never affects these pre-existing user subfolders and files.]

[EDIT2: I think setup.exe does replace the standard @ prefixed files, such as '@EMA.cs', because
                      it assumes it owns these files and does a CRC check (I think) and replaces the file if the CRC check
                      fails. This explains how my optimized @EMA.cs (from user named Zondor on futures.io) was (I think)
                      over written by an upgrade to a newer version of NT7. Patrick, can you confirm that setup.exe follows
                      this practice?
                      This practice arguably violates the "don't touch anything in user folders" principle when
                      setup.exe does the re-install, or an upgrade. I never bothered to investigate, but it makes sense that
                      setup.exe might do this, since a failed CRC check might arguably indicate a "damaged" file and thus
                      that specific file needs "repair", so it gets overwritten.]

In summary,
                      Only the "C:/Program Files/NinjaTrader 7" folder is affected by the re-install.

As a precaution, however, a full backup is a wise and prudent decision.
                      Last edited by bltdavid; 05-29-2019, 11:19 AM. Reason: Distringuish between un-install, re-install, and fresh-install ...

Comment

Except user defined instruments and template settings on instruments.

Comment

bitdavid is correct.

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                          Except user defined instruments and template settings on instruments.
                          sledge, I would not expect an uninstall/reinstall via Windows to affect these items. If you can reproduce this behavior, please contact me via email at PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com

Comment

Wow!! I was expecting to have to deal with some hick ups with this process but it was seamless. Appreciate the good advice.
                            Craig

Comment

You're welcome!

NinjaTrader_PatrickG When you get a chance, could you address my question (highlighted in red) in post #11?

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by TraderBCL, Today, 04:38 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                              Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                              11 responses
                              0 likes