Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Alt+Tab to switch window

Hello everyone,

I am using Ninja Trader 8 and MS Excel. As I use single monitor, it is required to switch between these two task windows constantly. But I met a problem with the hot key of Alt + Tab.

You can see the attached screenshot. Every time I press the hot key, it appears that there is a mysterious blank window in between (I put 3 question marks there). This stops me from switching the Ninja Trader chart and Excel smoothly.

Has anyone met the same issue? and how can we fix this?

Thank you
    Ray

Hello dryfish,

Thank you for your note.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you currently running? You can check this via Help > About in the Control Center.

Do you currently have any additional workspaces running at the same time? You can check this via the Workspaces tab.

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Hello Chris,

I checked it and my version is "8.0.17.2 64-bit". And I only have one workspace as always.

Looking forward to your help,

Thanks; Ray

Comment

Hello dryfish,

Thank you for your note.

When hovering over your Task Tray icon for NinjaTrader does this additional window appear in the preview menu? If so are you able to hover your mouse over the window in question and right click and then select close? If that does not work, it may be a corrupt workspace due to that additional window and you may have to recreate a new workspace if you're unable to manually close that window.

Please let me know how this test works and if it does not, I'd like to bring this conversation over to our ticketing system so we may better track it and assist by setting up a remote call.

Please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com. In the email please reference this ticket number 2139975 in the subject line and provide the information requested below in the body of the email.
        • A phone number where you can be reached
        • A time window where I can call you (please include a time zone) our regular support hours are 8:30am to 6pm US Eastern, Monday through Friday.
        • Shortly before our call, please launch our remote support application (TeamViewer). There are 2 ways you can do this.
        I look forward to our support call if needed.
        Steven R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Steven,

No I can not see that additional window in my task bar preview.

If I have two chart windows open, there will be two such additional blank windows appearing in my Alt+Tab - one after each. This problem only exists with the "Chart" function - if I create something new like "FX Board" or "Alert log" etc., they will have no blank windows attached after them. When I create a brand new workspace, the problem still exists for new charts.

Is a remote call the only way you can fix this? I am now based in Asia and we have very different time zone.

Ray

Comment

dryfish,

Thank you for your note.

If you would be willing to test out a new installation of the platform we can eliminate if this is the platform or the computer causing this mirror chart complication.

Please follow the steps listed below to completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader.
            • If possible, copy your license key from the Control Center > Help > License Key.
            • Close all running applications.
            • Navigate to your Documents folder > Right click on the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder > Rename > rename the folder to 'NinjaTrader 8 OLD'. DO NOT delete this folder.
            • Uninstall NinjaTrader within Windows Control Panel.
            • Navigate to C:\ > Program File (x86) > Delete the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder if it exists
            • Reboot your PC.
            • Once these steps are completed, download and install NT8 from the link below.
            When you restart NinjaTrader it will be blank with no saved information. However, we will be able to revert back to your other instance after conducting this test. Please open new charts and see if you encounter the same mirroring.

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Steven,

I followed your steps but the problem still exists with the freshly installed Ninjatrader (screenshot attached).

My current license key doesn't work in your link though (http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect), with saying "The license key entered appears to be invalid or was entered incorrectly. Please try again or contact us at [email protected]", but I have my previous installation file (NinjaTrader.Install.msi) saved in my PC. I don't think the license key can be the the cause of my issue..

Ray

Comment

I have this same issue but on Windows 7 running NT 8.0.17.2 64-bit

Comment

Hello dryfish and hurleydood,

Thank you for your notes.

I reached out to our developers to get some clarification of this complication. I've been informed that this is a known limitation between WPF, which is a graphical subsystem by Microsoft for rendering user interfaces in Windows-based applications, and NInjaTrader. This is on the roadmap to be resolved in future releases of NinjaTrader 8 but I've been told this is no easy fix as it will require an entire overhaul of the charting code. Know that your voices have been heard and have been added to the report for development. We only ask for your continued patience at this time.

Thank you, and please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Hi, is there any progress on this topic? I am experiencing still the same issue.
                    thanks

Comment

There is no update on the state/progress of the fundamental change to how NinjaTrader 8 charts are built to eliminate this symptom.

Comment

Hey. Any progress on the topic? Same issue here years later...

Comment

Hello leonardomocci,

Thanks for your notes and welcome to the NinjaTrader Forums.

What version of Windows are you using? (Windows 10, Windows 11, etc)

What version of NinjaTrader are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.?.?.?)

To clarify, are you seeing a window with a loading circle when selecting Alt+Tab as mentioned in post # 1 of this forum thread?

If not, please provide a brief description showing the behavior you are seeing. If possible, also share a screenshot of the behavior you are reporting so we may see what you are seeing.
                          • To send a screenshot with Windows 10 or newer I would recommend using the Windows Snipping Tool.
                          • Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save it as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
                          ​We look forward to assisting further.
                          Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hey. Thanks for the quick answer.

I'm using Windows 10, and NinjaTrader version is 8.1.2.1 64-bit.

Yes, I'm seeing a window with a loading circle when selecting Alt+Tab. And it's one window like that to every chart open (I have two at the moment).

​​

Comment

Hello leonardomocci,

Thanks for that information.

There are no updates regarding this behavior at this time.

The Development team has been informed of this behavior and I have added your notes as impact to the reported behavior so that the Development team may use it to investigate further.

Thanks for using NinjaTrader!
                              Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
                              Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                              4 responses