Chart zoom being restricted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart zoom being restricted

I am running into a strange situation where I cannot zoom out very far on the chart. Normally I can compress the chart super small and see a huge number of candles, but sometimes the zoom tops out very early, letting me only see perhaps 200 candles, whereas normally I can zoom out to over 1000 candles. This is on the exact same chart, in the exact same area. It's like the zoom gets bugged.

I found a way to fix it, however having to do it over and over is a hassle. In my properties, I have "equidistant bar spacing" unchecked, by default. If I go into properties and check that box and apply it, and then go back and uncheck it (putting me back to how I started, with it unchecked), things seem to reset, allowing me to zoom freely.

Can you think of what sort of bug would be causing this? To be clear, I am not changing the "equidistant bar spacing' to solve this problem. I am temporarily checking it and applying it, and then unchecking it again. Nothing is changing, but the zoom somehow gets fixed when I do this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Can this be reproduced in safe mode? So we can further diagnose your system, please start NinjaTrader in Safe Mode.

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
    • Loading workspaces.
    • Connecting on start-up.
    • Loading custom assemblies.
    • Getting instrument updates from the server.
    To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
    • Exit NinjaTrader.
    • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
    • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
    • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.
    Once in safe mode, try to reproduce the issue.

If so, can you provide me with exact steps on how I might reproduce this issue?

Comment

Hello, it does indeed still occur even in safe mode. I've been able to further identify that this occurs when dealing with charts that have their windows shrunk on the screen...for example, I found that if I reload all historical data, the problem is fixed for any of my chart windows that are maximized to the size of my monitor. But for chart windows that are shrunk (meaning I have them off in the corner since I am not using them...I have a multi monitor setup by the way), the problem persists even after reloading historical data. So the only workaround is to maximize every single one of my charts, and then reload historical data.

So it seems likely that the issue is Ninja incorrectly reading the resolution of the "shrunk" chart windows.

Does this explanation make sense, given how Ninja handles max zoom size? I don't see a setting for it anywhere, so I assume it is based on resolution of the chart window.

So this is how the problem could be reproduced...open up a couple charts, have one of them maximized, and the other shrunk down, reload all historical data, and then check out the shrunk chart, see how far out you can zoom (obviously you can maximize it when doing this). Is it identical to the amount of zoom you can get on the chart that was already maximized at the time of reloading all historical data?

Thanks!
      Last edited by ra1den; 05-04-2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I could not reproduce this issue following these steps:
        • Open NinjaTrader
        • Connect to live data
        • Create a 1 min ES 06-19 chart with 1000 days to load
        • Duplicate this chart in a new window
        • Move one chart to the bottom right corner of your screen so that most of the chart is outside the viewable area (just the red 'Chart' visible)
        • Maximize the remaining chart window
        • Right-click on the chart > Reload all historical data
        • Left click and drag to the right on the maximized chart
        • Drag the 'hidden' chart back into view
        • Left click and drag to the right on this chart
        Both charts behaved identically with chart data compression after following these steps. First, would you agree with my interpretation of your "shrunk" windows? If not, what steps would you recommend?

Comment

Hi Patrick, thanks. Just so I understand correctly, at the time of you reloading all historical data, was only one chart maximized? Meaning that the chart in the right corner had a small window, but the other chart was maximized to full screen?

The issue isn't whether the chart is visible or not, but purely the size of the chart window at the time of reloading historical data.

Comment

No charts were 'minimized'. I may have misinterpreted your phrasing of 'shrunk'. Even with one window minimized during reload, I get the following:

Each chart has the same bar width/size, but I see less historical data in my smaller chart due to the physical restriction of the window.

Comment

Hi Patrick, yes so the issue is, even after maximizing that smaller chart, the zoom will be messed up and wont let me go far. If you maximize that smaller chart (AFTER reloading all historical data), do you get the same max zoom as on your chart that was already maximized?

Comment

Yes, my charts behave the same without any limitation is ability to compress data after these steps.

There is something unique on your end that I cannot reproduce. Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.
                • You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support
                • Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.
                • Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 2145283 ATTN Patrick G

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
                5 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary