Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Just installed Ninjatrader 8.0.18.0, "failed to find visual studio installation"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed Ninjatrader 8.0.18.0, "failed to find visual studio installation"

Just installed Ninjatrader 8.0.18.0, "failed to find visual studio installation" message appears when I click on the Ms Visual Studio icon, what should I do?

Prior to upgrading, I did not have an issue with launching the Visual Studio editor from within Ninjatrader 8.

Comment

I have the Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017 edition version 15.9.11 installed. It is the only version. And yes, the .NET desktop development is selected in the installer. Tried modifying various options as part of the visual studio reinstall, did not help with the 'missing' notification. Reinstalling NT8 also didn't help.

Comment

Hello bkinvent,

I am not having an issue using Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition with release 18. I will spend some time testing with a new installation tomorrow, but in the meantime, can you confirm if you see this issue after completely uninstalling Visual Studio and reinstalling (making sure .NET Desktop Development is included?)

I look forward to being of further assistance.
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Problem is resolved after installing visual studio to default locations.

Is there a way of recognizing/linking visual studio without installing to default locations? System drive capacity is limited, I'd rather visual studio can be installed to an alternative drive.But it seems that NT8 is unable to link to it, once it is installed in another location, or can it?

Comment

Hello bkinvent,

NinjaTrader uses vswhere.exe to find Visual Studio. NinjaTrader expects this file to be located in the following folder: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer. You can open your Windows command prompt and cd to this directory and run the application to check the path assigned.

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\
            vswhere.exe

This will show where Visual Studio is installed. For example:

installationPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

Issues that could cause Visual Studio not to come up would include:

a) vswhere is not in the proper location
            b) the IDE is not located in the designated folder.

I found the following resource for further direction on customizing Visual Studio's location. This resource is publicly available.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vis...s?view=vs-2019

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jim; 02-07-2022, 04:10 PM. Reason: Corrected advise to use installationPath over productPath

Comment

Thank you. I'll try it out at the next visual studio re-install!

Comment

Hi Jim, I'm also getting a "could not locate Visual Studio" error. any ideas?

productPath is valid, IDE is in the designated folder, and .net desktop development is included.

I Guessed it was a permissions issue, but the account i'm using has full control permissions on both the Visual Studio parent folder and subfolders, aswell as the same for NT8.

Is this action logged anywhere?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer>vswhere.exe
                Visual Studio Locator version 2.6.7+91f4c1d09e [query version 2.1.1046.44959]
                Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

instanceId: 1365dad7
                installDate: 01/07/2019 13:18:03
                installationName: VisualStudio/16.1.4+29020.237
                installationPath: E:\Visual Studio 2019\Visual Studio IDE
                installationVersion: 16.1.29020.237
                productId: Microsoft.VisualStudio.Product.Community
                productPath: E:\Visual Studio 2019\Visual Studio IDE\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
                state: 4294967295
                isComplete: 1
                isLaunchable: 1
                isPrerelease: 0
                isRebootRequired: 0
                displayName: Visual Studio Community 2019
                description: Free, fully-featured IDE for students, open-source and individual developers
                channelId: VisualStudio.16.Release
                channelUri: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/channel
                enginePath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\ServiceHub\Services \Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Service
                releaseNotes: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=660893#16.1.4
                thirdPartyNotices: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=660909
                updateDate: 2019-07-01T12:18:03.3338607Z
                catalog_buildBranch: d16.1
                catalog_buildVersion: 16.1.29020.237
                catalog_id: VisualStudio/16.1.4+29020.237
                catalog_localBuild: build-lab
                catalog_manifestName: VisualStudio
                catalog_manifestType: installer
                catalog_productDisplayVersion: 16.1.4
                catalog_productLine: Dev16
                catalog_productLineVersion: 2019

Comment

Hello Conall,

Thanks for your message.

The productPath is pointing to a location on your E drive, but the vswhere location is where NinjaTrader expects it. I may suggest ensuring that Visual Studio exists on this path or to attempt reinstalling Visual Studio, either to the default C:\Program Files\ folder or agin to the E drive to ensure that the paths are correct for vswhere.

I look forward to being of further assistance.

Comment

I have got the same issue "can't find visual studio installation"
                    I guess the reason is that I have the professional version. Therefore it isn't in ...\Community\... but in ...\Professional\....

How can I tell NinjaTrader where my visual studio is located?
                    I tried to make a shortcut link and place it in the correct location, but NT doesn't take it.
                    I could open Visual Basic manually, which is no problem, but this way I am missing all the suggestions like required arguments for Draw.XXX(

Thanks
                    Greetings

Comment

Hello seykool,

Could you post the output from vswhere?

We want to be sure that:

1. vswhere exists in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\
                      Visual Studio is actually located in the path reported byproductPath when running vswhere.

Reinstalling Visual Studio may be required if it is not located in the productPath directory.

Comment

Hi Jim,

1) I can't find vswhere on my disk
                        2) This is the program exe file path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE

Now I simply installed the community version. The problem remains the same, however.

1) There is no vswhere.exe
                        2) The path is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\Common7\IDE

At least NT recognizes now when VB is open and asks me to shut it down.

Regards

Comment

Hello seykool,

vswhere.exe must exist in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\ directory.

Do you you see this after uninstalling and reinstalling Visual Studio?

Please also try Visual Studio 2019 Community Edition. (This is the latest version we officially support through the NinjaScript Editor Ref)
                          After we confirm vswhere.exe is in the folder NinjaTrader expects it to be, please restart NinjaTrader and try the button again.

If we can confirm vswhere is where it should be, and there are still issues, we will want to see the vswhere output and make sure the productPath is pointing to the right location.

Comment

Hello Jim,

actually, vswhere, is there. I just looked into \Programm Files\ and not into \Program Files (x86)\

Therefore:
                            1) vswhere is where it should be, and
                            2) the product path is correct
                            but it doesn't work
                            3) with the 2019 version it works.

I suppose you will update this soon.

Best regards,
                            Seykool
                            Last edited by seykool; 12-22-2021, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply SeyKool,

I've tracked your impact with our change request to update the Visual Studio button in the NinjaScript Editor to support Visual Studio 2022.

The ticket ID is SFT-5391. I cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment, but historically, we have been keeping the button up to date with current versions of Visual Studio.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post bmartz
                              by bmartz

Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                              4 responses