Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator - PriorDayOHLC - add more features

Hello

Seeing as this indicator already exists, rather than requesting new indicators, why not just make additions to this one.

I urgently need to it to also show today's Pre-Market Open, High and Low.

It already shows yesterday's Open, High, Low, Close, so all it needs are 3 additional check boxes to show the today's pre-market Open, High, Low.

Thanks.

There may be a solution to what you're looking for currently. but I need you to be more descriptive of what you're looking for. Can you elaborate on what exactly "today's pre-market Open, High, Low" would be defined as? You want the ETH-only OHLC values? Please elaborate.

Comment

Pre-Market, as in, the time between about 04:00 when pre-market opens and the actual open at 09:30 (we are talking US equities here only, not futures or anything)

So, that time, pre-market, will have an opening price at 04:00, a high price and a low price.

Just that.

Comment

You could create a custom trading hours template for this desired period of time, use that trading hours template in your chart, then apply the CurrentDayOHL and/or PriorDayOHLC to that chart. Here is an example:

The Trading Hours template:

The Data Series:

The indicator:

The chart:

Comment

Thanks.

So... all my charts are currently set up with "Default 24 x 7" as the Trading Hours. This shows me regular trading hours (09:30 - 16:00) then post-market (16:00 - 20:00), then pre-market (04:00 - 09:30)

So how would I add a template to that?

Thanks.

Comment

You would need to add a secondary data series to your chart which had the custom trading hours template applied as discussed earlier:

You would then apply the indicator to that secondary data series.

Here is a link with more information on working with multiple data series:

Comment

But when I have both data series in the same panel, I can only apply 1 set of indicators. And if I need OHLC for today, and effectively HLC for the "pre-market" it won't be possible to do that if they are both in the same panel and using the same indicators?

Right?

Comment

"But when I have both data series in the same panel, I can only apply 1 set of indicators" -
                Incorrect. Think of it like this - you have 2 Data Series in your chart panel. (you won't see them in your chart 'separately' because one data series will seamlessly follow the other onscreen when the pre-market session ends and the day session begins - assuming you make the timings co-incide in your trading hours templates)

Data Series 1 has pre-market trading hours template attached to it (hence it only plots pre-market data), and you add (an) indicator(s) to it. So if you add a Prior OHLC you get the previous day's Pre-market OHLC
                Data Series 2 has RTH trading hours template attached to it (hence only plots Regular trading hours data), and you add a Prior OHLC to it. (The trick here, and the bit you may be missing is that you can and must CHOOSE which DATA SERIES to add your indicator(s) to, you arer not adding an indicator to 'a chart', you are adding it to a specific data series in that chart - which you can do once you have added two data series to your chart panel)

Then, in the same chart panel, you will have one pre-market data series with its own pre-market trading hours template attached, and a Prior OHLC showing the previous day's OHLC for that period of time, and one RTH data series with its own RTH trading hours with Prior OHLC showing the previous day's RTH Prior OHLC.
                Same for Current days OHL - attach one to the Premarket series and you'll get the current pre-market OHL, add one to the RTH series and you'll get today's OHL.

There's a Ninja video on it. Suggest you go find it and watch it and try it. It is pretty clear and gives you some further tips
                Last edited by brucerobinson; 05-14-2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks for contributing, bruce.

The video below goes into detail about how to add an indicator to a second data series, however, it then talks about how to 'hide' that data series. This 'hiding' may or may not be necessary depending on your specific application:

Comment

OK - so from what I understand, I have to add the indicators I need to the 2nd series BEFORE overlaying it onto panel 1?

Or am I trying to have 2 data series in 1 panel, that continue on sequentially, one for normal trading hours, one for post/pre-market hours, alternating like that?

Every time I've tried to overlay a different data series over my first one, it always messes up the timeline on the bottom, like the hours don't update when I run my mouse over them (maybe because they don't align)

I've taken a screenshot of my current setup for a single chart/single data series and annotated it to show the key points.

I'd like for everything to remain the same, the greyed out area than is made possible by using the indicator "ColorRegions" (to indicate post/pre-market as distinct from normal trading hours) for the timeline to be linear and unbroken (apart from where post-market ends and pre-market begins)

I just can't seem to get my head around it, to get all the pieces to work correctly.

Thanks.
                    Attached Files

Comment

No, the video guide of applying the indicators before moving the secondary data series into panel one is simply to demonstrate what is occurring in a more visual way. That step can be completely skipped.

Here is a video demonstration, step by step, of how to apply to data series to a chart with specific trading hours templates, then apply indicators to the secondary data series:

Comment

@Irukandji
                        for drawing premarket session H and L levels, you could use also the indicator “Sample get high low by time range” https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...ied-time-range where you can set the session timing you wish

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
                          No, the video guide of applying the indicators before moving the secondary data series into panel one is simply to demonstrate what is occurring in a more visual way. That step can be completely skipped.

Here is a video demonstration, step by step, of how to apply to data series to a chart with specific trading hours templates, then apply indicators to the secondary data series:

https://www.screencast.com/t/J3n4aCnx
                          OK thanks that's helpful. But I will need the lines to extend out from the pre-market and draw into the new trading day (so that I can actually work with the lines whilst trading that day) and of course, not extend out into infinity or else after a week or so there will be so many old lines on the chart it will become unreadable!

Also, you made a template called overnight - are there no pre-existing templates I can use? If I want to see post-market and pre-market, but don't want the post-market data to interfere with the levels I'm drawing, do I need to have 3 templates in total? RTH, post-market, and pre-makret?

Thanks.

Comment

What you desire cannot be accomplished with the built-in CurrentDayOHL indicator.

Correct, there is no custom template that covers only 4PM to 930AM. I made this template way back in post #4. I am unsure how you're defining " post-market" and "pre-makret" but you will most likely need custom templates. Most built in templates are either RTH or ETH (ETH includes RTH hours). You can learn more about trading hours templates here:

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post

I am unsure how you're defining " post-market" and "pre-makret" but you will most likely need custom templates.
                              Pre-Market:

Post-Market/After-Hours Trading:

In post #10 in this thread, I uploaded an image, marked out with exactly what I mean by post and pre-market.

POST-MARKET/AFTER HOURS IS FROM 16:00 - 20:00
                              PRE-MARKET IS FROM 04:00 - 09:30

Exactly as it's displayed when choosing "Default 24 x 7" as I was advised to do many moons ago by you lot...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by aa731, Today, 02:54 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                              Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post BarzTrading