Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Weird bar with long wick on my ETH charts (ES)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird bar with long wick on my ETH charts (ES)?

Hi all,

I mainly trade/chart the US Equities RTH session, but I also plot extended trading hours ETH on a 1-minute chart. Often, the last or one of the last bars on the chart have very elongated wicks in both directions. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a news shock, but it turned out to be incorrect.

Any ideas on this particular error?

Since I don't use these charts for trading, I haven't bothered with it until now, but it sure is annoying and makes you a bit 'wary'.

Thanks.

Johnny

Click image for larger version

Name:	WeirdBar.PNG
Views:	531
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1057288

Anyone?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Please write into to PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]Com along with your log and trace files and a link to this forum post.

Include ticket number 2155783 in the body of the email.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to your response so I may investigate this matter further.
      Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
      Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
      Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
      Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

We look forward to assisting further.
      Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have since formatted my computer and re-installed the latest NT8. I will report back it this problem persists.

Thanks.

Comment

I'm once again experiencing this problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Long Bar.PNG
Views:	406
Size:	718.7 KB
ID:	1093120

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for your post.

Please delete your historical data using the instructions provided at the following page of the NinjaTrader Help Guide:

Removing Historical Data
            • Once the data has been deleted close NinjaTrader. Open the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache folder. Select all files then right mouse click and select “delete.”
            • Open NinjaTrader and connect to your data provider. Open a new chart.

Please let me know if this resolves this item.
            Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi, Marco,

Thanks. Sadly, it didn't help.

A few days later, the bar is gone though.

Johnny

Comment

Back again today. A 100 point 15 minute bar.

Comment

Hello Johnny,
                  You're still getting this and getting nowhere re: eradicating it a year down the line...
                  I chart ES ETH & RTH 1 & 15m (&2 & 5) every day and don't get this, Very seldom with many charts on many instruments on many timeframes have I seen it. But not never.
                  So a few thoughts in case there are any you haven't already thought of & helpful.
                  It seems likely caused by an erroneous data point - look in the actual data files and see what value is in there at the time of the bar. I take that it is, for example your 15m bar - your 1 min bar is NOT showing same. Why not?
                  I'm sure you get the gist - drill down into the actual data entry for whatever time, compare with CME, that sort of thing to see whether it is a bad data point in 15m data but not 1m,which you can then take up with data provider, or data correct and bar drawing incorrectly or some charting related issue etc.
                  Hope it helps

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

As brucerobinson mentioned you may be getting bad ticks coming into the platform, I suggest adding a tick filter to prevent this moving forward:

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
                      Hello Johnny,
                      You're still getting this and getting nowhere re: eradicating it a year down the line...
                      I chart ES ETH & RTH 1 & 15m (&2 & 5) every day and don't get this, Very seldom with many charts on many instruments on many timeframes have I seen it. But not never.
                      So a few thoughts in case there are any you haven't already thought of & helpful.
                      It seems likely caused by an erroneous data point - look in the actual data files and see what value is in there at the time of the bar. I take that it is, for example your 15m bar - your 1 min bar is NOT showing same. Why not?
                      I'm sure you get the gist - drill down into the actual data entry for whatever time, compare with CME, that sort of thing to see whether it is a bad data point in 15m data but not 1m,which you can then take up with data provider, or data correct and bar drawing incorrectly or some charting related issue etc.
                      Hope it helps

Hi, Bruce,

Thanks for your reply and comments.

Actually, I have not experienced this a lot lately. It's just in recent weeks it started happening again.

I take that it is, for example your 15m bar - your 1 min bar is NOT showing same. Why not?
                      Correct.

I have created a custom session hours template since I want a 24 hour chart that starts at the half hour mark and not a whole hour, i.e., 09:30-10:30, 10:30-11:30, etc.

Changing back to the regular 24/7 eradicated this problem this time. I don't need this template for 5-minute and 15-minute charts, so problem solved there, I guess.

But for the 60-minute chart - it can still be a problem.

Best regards,

Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Marco View Post
                        Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

As brucerobinson mentioned you may be getting bad ticks coming into the platform, I suggest adding a tick filter to prevent this moving forward:

Interesting. Thanks!

I was not aware that this was a possibillity. Not sure I'd want to use it as I'd be afraid I'd miss out on actual price spikes that are real. I'm not doing automated trading - so I'm not worried about that.

Can it be a bad tick problem if I'm getting this on say a 15-minute chart, but not on a 5-minute chart?

Comment

I see now that on my original post at the top - I was using a 1-minute chart and 99 % certain I used the standard CME ETH template.

Comment

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for your reply.

If NinjaTrader receives 2 or more ticks that violate the bad tick filter we will no longer filter the ticks as the market is assumed to have legitimately gapped up or down. This should prevent a legitimate spike from being filtered out, and only filter out singularities such as what I suspect you're experiencing.

Comment

So, all seemed good last week, but now the problem is back again. I've created a custom template which starts hourly bars at 00:30.

I don't think the problem is a bad tick as it's not showing up on my 30, 15 and 5 minute charts.

If I shift "Trading Hours" template to default 24/7 - the long wick disappears...

Note that when the problem first arrived - I was using the default 24/7 template or CME US Index Futures ETH.

In this volatility - I wouldn't be comfortable to start filtering out ticks as large price moves may happen and instantly reverse.

Any advice?

Johnny

ES 06-20

Click image for larger version  Name:	Uten navn.png Views:	0 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	1096715

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ZenCortexCLICK, Today, 04:58 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ZenCortexCLICK  
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                              172 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post sidlercom80