Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to get profit and loss amounts to show in Strategy Performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get profit and loss amounts to show in Strategy Performance?

Greetings,

I'm trying to backtest Forex strategies, but it doesn't show actual dollar amounts for profit, loss, drawdown, etc. I'm used to Thinkorswim automatically populating all of that based on a default mini-lot per trade. How can I get Ninjatrader to do that?

Thanks in advance. I hope I made my question clear.

Hello Roger Brad,
    Thanks for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forum.

The Strategy Analyzer will automatically display those amounts whenever the backtest completes. Please see the following link for more information on how to backtest a strategy: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...a_strategy.htm

Are you getting any results at all for your strategy? If not, please see if the same thing occurs when running a backtest on the built in 'Sample MA crossover' strategy.

Are there errors on the Logs tab of your Control Center? If so, what do they report?

Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the Strategy Analyzer information. I've tried to go through the educational resources and find an answer, but haven't had any luck.

Here are screenshots of the results I just got for the Sample MA crossover strategy in the Strategy Analyzer with Strategy Performance > Historical. Results are similar with my custom strategy.

Since I'm new to the platform, I'm probably just missing some obvious step in which I set the amount per trade. If that might be the case, please tell me what I should do. I'd like to start just trading one mini-lot of whatever pair I'm trading at the time. I did set 10000 as the trade amount in the Accounts tab.

There are no errors in the log.

Dunno if it's related, but when I try to load my chart, it only loads a very short amount of time. for example, I just told it to load 365 days of data, and it only loaded a few days. (See screenshot.)
      I'm in simulated trading using Forex.com for data and a recent installation of Ninjatrader version 8.0.18.0 64-bit.
      Last edited by Ranger Brad; 05-15-2019, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Ranger Brad,

Setting the amount per trade value on the Accounts tab is only the default value you will see on an order entry window. You would need to use that amount inside your strategies order entry method as well.

The historical data item would not be related. I would start off with right-clicking inside the chart>>Reload all historical data... Other than that It could depend on many factors and we should keep this thread on topic.

Comment

I see. I don't see any option for setting the order amount in the Strategy Builder. Could you please direct me to it?

Yeah, I knew the historical data issue was a long shot, but wanted to mention it just in case.

Comment

Ranger Brad,

It will be on the "Conditions and Actions" screen of the Strategy Builder inside the 'actions'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-15_1051.png
Views:	1328
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	1057504

The "DefaultQuantity" here is something you would need to set inside the strategy manually in order to change it. Alternatively, simply set the lot size in the Quantity field.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post alifarahani  
            Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes