Memory usage and NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory usage and NT8

I was wondering about memory creep and NT8. I am looking at task manager and I closed all my charts except for 1 and all my indicators, but the memory is still high. I restarted Ninjatrader and from 1500 mb it is down to 244 mb with the same parameters.

Is it an indicator object issue in residual memory? If so in the indicators on terminate do I Remove all drawing objects?

NinjaTrader is built on the .NET framework and relies upon that framework's ability to 'garbage collect'. Unfortunately, it's not very good at it. Restarting is the best way to free up memory.

If you're experiencing some sort of 'memory leak' in which you're changing nothing but the memory usage continue to grow without stopping (and eventually uses all available memory) then there is another underlying issue we should be troubleshooting. This symptom is typically caused by custom add-ons.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
      NinjaTrader is built on the .NET framework and relies upon that framework's ability to 'garbage collect'. Unfortunately, it's not very good at it. Restarting is the best way to free up memory.

If you're experiencing some sort of 'memory leak' in which you're changing nothing but the memory usage continue to grow without stopping (and eventually uses all available memory) then there is another underlying issue we should be troubleshooting. This symptom is typically caused by custom add-ons.
      Novice here: Wouldn't memory continue to rise based on the incoming tick information even if no indicators are in use?

Comment

Thanks for the advise.
        Would remove all objects in State.Terminate help in garbage removal?

Comment

Hello JMont1 and ballboy11,

Thank you both for your posts.

It is expected that your PC resource usage would increase with higher volatility, even with no indicators. The severity of this increase will depend on exactly how you're using NinjaTrader. There is no tool within the platform to specifically track how much RAM each internal process is taking, however, there is a way to track cumulative processing time spent on NinjaScript objects. This tool is called the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor.

This tool is meant to help identify outliers from the rest of the platform in order to help troubleshoot performance issues.

Here is some additional documentation on performance issues and tips:

There is no way to force NinjaTrader to 'garbage collect'. This is a Microsoft .NET limitation.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
          Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post jaybedreamin  
          Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes