Hard stop in Chart Trader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard stop in Chart Trader

Is there a way to add a hard stop to Chart Trader? Such as $100 stop loss (.002% of cash amount being traded?) no matter the instrument? Or, is there a way to quickly figure out the position size stop loss?

TIA

If you're using ATM strategies, you could configure the ATM with a parameter type of 'Currency', This would allow you to risk a certain amount of dollars and NinjaTrader would automatically translate that into ticks away from your entry, For example, the CL is worth $10 per tick. If you set your stop loss to $100, then NinjaTrader would place the stop loss 10 ticks from your entry price. You can learn more about the different ATM parameter types here:

It is not possible to configure manual trading to risk a percentage of your account's cash value, however, this would be possible through custom NinjaScript programming. If you want to learn more about how to create a custom strategy that could do this, please start a thread in the NinjaScript forums or contact us via email at PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com.

Comment

Thanks Patrick,

That is great news. I actually have a strategy I created years ago in NT7 that traded a cash value amount of my account. It is a great feature and one that would make Chart Trader function perfectly for equity traders. One less thing to deal with in fast markets.

Comment

Hi Patrick, I have it ATM st to currency and stop loss to "50.00" but it is calculating it as 5 ticks on all charts regardless of equity price.

TIA

Comment

What was your quantity? I would expect that NinjaTrader would change the tick value relative to the quantity. For example, when trading an equity, a currency of $50 would translate into 5000 ticks. if you traded 100 quantity, the tick value would be 50 ticks.

Comment

I think I got it, it was a quantity issue. Will the auto break even be set to currency as well now? Such as up 50$ move to break even?

Comment

Stop strategies can only be programmed in ticks or pips. You'll notice that when you have 'currency' selected for your parameter type, there is a 't' in parenthesis next to Auto breakeven and Auto Trail. This indicates the values will be ticks.
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 05-23-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the help again. Can I run the "%" function and accomplish what I want? Place say 2500 shares of $10 a share stock. Set the stop loss to ..2% have which would be a $50 hard stop then set the .2 in profit/ autobreak even and have it move once I am up $50?

I will try to test in sim data if I remember how .

EDIT: Seems to have worked in Sim data. So Then I can create this one ATM and just calculate my shares for the instrument. Wether it be 2500 shares at $10 or 1250 shares at $20 my stop loss and auto break even can be set t a strict hard stop correct?

It would be nice to even have a little calculator built into the chart trader.
                Last edited by reedstickets; 05-22-2019, 07:16 PM.

Comment

This isn't currently possible without custom programming. I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team.

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-4025. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 05-29-2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

I had the % working perfect for me last night with sim data. What type of custom programming would I need?

Comment

If it's functioning how you want it, then I've probably misunderstood your desire. The percentage tool is not based on your account value. If you're wanting to use a percentage of your account value, this would require custom NinjaScript programming. If you want to learn more about how to create a custom strategy that could do this, please start a thread in the NinjaScript forums or contact us via email at PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com.

Comment

While it is not working off a percentage of my account value I m able to accomplish what I need by simply dividing the stock share price against my account value to come up with a quantity of shares. Then plug that number into the ATM template with percentages based of of those numbers (in this case .2%).

Does this make sense?

Comment

Yes, this is what the feature request I've submitted to the Development Team is regarding - a calculator for that.

Comment

Okay thank you, That would make things a bit more efficient and be nice for me, but the fact that this works the way I need it to in ATM strategy has me happy. So thank you fr the help.

Comment

Actually one last question, is there a way to stop the ATM and take over manually or have it only move to trail for two times and then stop?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Johnny Santiago, 10-11-2019, 09:21 AM
                              95 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post xiinteractive  
                              Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post xiinteractive