Limit orders not conforming to IB's minimum increments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limit orders not conforming to IB's minimum increments

I have tested trading FOREX through Interactive Brokers today for the first time.

When using the chart trader to place a limit order (right clicking into the chart), NinjaTrader will mostly convert the chart pixel to a limit price, which is not accepted by Interactive Brokers.

The reason here is that NinjaTrader generates limit orders with a granularity of 1/10th pip, whereas Interactive Brokers only accepts limit orders with a half pip granularity. The half pip setting, which was available for NinjaTrader 7 to adjust NinjaTrader to the increments allowed by the broker has been removed for NinjaTrader 8.

Therefore I am getting an error message for all limit orders that do not accidentally match with half pips or full pips and which reads:

"IB.Adapter.OnError: id=10241 errorCode='PriceVariation' errorMessage='The price does not conform to the minimum price variation for this contract.'"

The orders are being rejected.

Why was the option to select half pips removed?

How may I use the chart trader to trade FOREX via IB without having my orders being rejected all the time?
    Last edited by Harry; 03-08-2018, 02:49 PM.

Hello Harry,

Thank you for your post.

This is not expected behavior. NinjaTrader 8 displays the quotes as received without the need for the 'Quote Currencies (FX) in' option which is why it was removed.

Are the quotes you are seeing in NinjaTrader 8 matching those in TWS?

I look forward to your response.

Comment

Hello Patrick,

My question was not about quotes received.

When you open a FOREX chart and activate the chart trader, you may enter a buy limit order by clicking into the chart via the right mouse button below the current price.

The price selected via the mouse is converted by NinjaTrader to a limit price, which may then be selected to execute a limit buy order. However, Interactive Brokers does not accept the odd prices created by NinjaTrader and the limit buy order will be rejected.

Or otherwise put: If you have the chart trader open and EURUSD trades at 1.2310, how would you enter a limit buy order at 1.2305? When I click the chart, I am likely to hit 1.23049 or 1.23048 or 1.23052 - and all these limit buy orders will be rejected by Interactive Brokers.

With NinjaTrader 7 you could easily use the chart trader to enter limit buy orders for FOREX. With NinjaTrader 8 this is no longer possible.
      Last edited by Harry; 03-08-2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Hello Harry,

Thanks for your reply.

You will need to change a setting in TWS to allow forex trading in tenth pips.

In TWS:
        • Go to File --> Global Configuration.
        • Then, go to Display --> Ticker Row.
        • Then, enable 'Allow Forex trading in 1/10 pips and press OK

I've attached an image to this post for further clarification if needed.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
        Attached Files
        Alan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Patrick,

Thank you for your answer. With the reconfiguration of TWS it works like a charm!

I have a last question regarding the charttrader.

When I open the chart trader, the preset order quantity is 10k. This is not a normal lot size, but too small. Execution price will be bad, because it will not be routed to the IDEALPRO network. How would I change the default size to 100K?

I have selected a FOREX lot size of 100K when configuring the connection to Interactive Brokers, but this is not being applied here. Do I need to make a selection elsewhere to change the default size to 100k?

Comment

Hello Harry,

Thanks for your reply.

You can edit the simulation account to change the default forex lot size.

Go to your Control Center window --> Select the Accounts tab --> right click on the Sim101 account --> select Edit account --> change the forex lot size to 100,000.

Comment

Hello Alan,

Thank you for that information.

I am glad that I asked.

Editing my Interactive Brokers account in the Control Center and changing the lot size fixed it.

By the way, what is the FOREX lot size good when configuring the connection? I had already preset that size to 100K, but it had no impact on the default size.

Comment

The Interactive Brokers connection property of 'Forex lot size' is not behaving as we expect it to currently.

It seems that it may no longer be needed/valid. We are looking into this further and considering removing this property.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AlanS View Post
                  Hello Harry,

Thanks for your reply.

You will need to change a setting in TWS to allow forex trading in tenth pips.

In TWS:
                  • Go to File --> Global Configuration.
                  • Then, go to Display --> Ticker Row.
                  • Then, enable 'Allow Forex trading in 1/10 pips and press OK

I've attached an image to this post for further clarification if needed.

Finally, a definitive answer to solve an old problem in NT8
                  Thanks Harry!

Comment

Hello Harry,

As an update to your inquiry here:
                    By the way, what is the FOREX lot size good when configuring the connection? I had already preset that size to 100K, but it had no impact on the default size.
                    03-08-2018 06:12 PM
                    This property has been removed in the most recent release of NinjaTrader, you can verify this in our release notes here (take a look at the second item Issue # 12594):
                    https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...s/8_0_13_1.htm

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post DynamicTest  
                    Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes