Which template is activated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which template is activated

How can you tell which template is activated on a chart?

Hello mrlucky1x,

Thanks for posting to the forums.

Unfortunately at this time there is no indication given regarding what template is currently applied.

This request is tracked using SFT-205.

We've discussed this internally but there are some complexities and I'd like to get your opinion on.

To expand on your comment that it would just be a simple field somewhere, how would one expect it to handle a situation where the chart has deviated from the template?

Say for example you load a chart with "MyTemplateXYZ", and a few minute later you decide to add another indicator or change a chart property. What does this field say at that time:

- Do we display the original template you created from the chart?
    - Do we remove the template name since this chart no longer belongs to that template?
    - Do we automatically give the template a new generic name (Custom) to indicate it has changed?
    - Does the template update with the saved changes? If so, does it do it automatically? Or offer a prompt to update?
    - Else?

These are just a few of the answers we do not have internally on how this commonly requested feature should be handled and I'd simply like to engage users interested in seeing this feature to make sure we have it right at the time we consider implementation.

Just keep in mind the more options we give for a single feature turns something from being a simple feature to a multi-faceted complicated feature that is confusing to set up, so ideally we like to settle on a single approach.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I use templates on my TOS platform and the expected behavior is to keep the name the same. When you add or subtract things on the chart you just save the new modified template or rename it to keep the original and create a new one.

- Do we display the original template you created from the chart?
      YES - most important

- Do we remove the template name since this chart no longer belongs to that template?
      No - User needs to know what template their in and can decide to save or abandon changes

- Do we automatically give the template a new generic name (Custom) to indicate it has changed?
      No - User will save the template if they like their edits

- Does the template update with the saved changes? If so, does it do it automatically? Or offer a prompt to update?
      NO - I think you're overthinking this. Keep it simple. Let me know what template I'm in FIRST and I can either save, abandon or rename any changes I make to it.

The IMPORTANT thing is to know where you are when you load different templates on different charts and at this point its impossible.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-205. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 06-14-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

this is as old as the hills, debated ad-nauseum, same questions, same answers, no implementation
          MrLucky1x - i see it hasn't been brought ot your attention/signposted, but another User posted a their own solution, an indicator to do the job. Happy searching (maybe someone else will recall/point you to it).

And the very tedious 'but how do we crack this conundrum that you might have made a change then it would be reporting the template incorrectly' - make it 'change' i.e. it displays what template you used at the outset, if you subsequently change it, grey it out or whatever but still display so you know what you started with. Then all the recommendations still apply - force a 'Save as..' if changes have been made blah blah yawn yawn

Comment

Since almost all other trading platforms have this feature already it does give pause to why something so obvious and useful has not made it into Ninja. Steal it from Think or Swim if you have to.

Comment

here you go.
              thanks to Aligator, Post #1 https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...-template-name
              Stay Lucky
              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Mizzouman1, Today, 07:35 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Mizzouman1  
              Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
              1 response