Market Replay WAAAY faster on my old 2500K PC vs newer 6700K PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market Replay WAAAY faster on my old 2500K PC vs newer 6700K PC

Is this due to hyperthreading not being a thing on the 2500K? I was amazed to see how fast Market Replay ran -- what took a few days before on my 6700K PC (as well as a laptop I have with an i5 8250), now takes less than an hour on the 2500K PC... which I'm very happy about, but don't understand... any ideas? I'm wondering if disabling hyperthreading on the 6700K would provide a speed boost?

Hello,

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately we do not have specific resources or testing on this matter. In general, additional PC resources will allow for quicker processing of data.

To confirm, is this the speed it is taking to connect, or complete a backtest?

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
    • What version of NinjaTrader are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: or 8.0.?.?)
    • What instrument (and expiry if applicable) have you selected? For example, ES 09-19, AAPL, EURUSD, etc.
    • (For a chart) what interval is selected? For example, 5 minute, 1 day, 2000 volume, 4 Renko, etc.
    • Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
    We loook forward to assisting further.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Time it takes to run a market replay across a contract period (ES, various periods). Takes over a day on the 6700K/8250, less than an hour on the 2500K.

Same version on all machines, latest: 8.0.18.0. 16GB of RAM on all machines. Range charts set at 5. No errors.

Is there a way to disable hyperthreading in NT8? I know I can system wide in the BIOS, but would rather not do that.

Thanks!

Comment

Compare cpu activity manager. Hyperthreading is your friend.

you might have to many open workspaces on your new machine.

I too have previous generation hardware that is faster, but not at that scale. You have something else going on.

Comment

When it comes to MarketReply (in NinjaTrader called PLAYBACK), check the CPU (GHz) speed of each of your processors. Which one is faster? Maybe your older machine was set on Overclocking.

Consider.....

The i5-2500K can turbo up to 3.7 Ghz. (Maybe your older system is set to TURBO via the system Bios or whomever put it together for you).

The i7-6700K base frequency is 3.4 Ghz. (slower at base frequency) but if properly set could run at 4.0 Ghz (Turbo frequency)

From what I can personally determine, while NT's Strategy Analyzer gains solid benefit from multiple CPUs and threading, PLAYBACK only gains from higher speeds/frequency of CPU.

-- WEX

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
          0 responses
          1 view
          0 likes
          Last Post usazencort  
          Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
          5 responses