Super DOM Freezing in fast markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super DOM Freezing in fast markets

Hi there I'm experiencing a freezing of my Super DOM today in the fast markets of the NASDAQ Mar28 I've got the Volume and APQ also displayed on it and am wondering if this Freezing is more likely to be a RAM, CPU or maybe Bandwidth issue. Could be any of them I suppose but which is more likely? The charts themselves aren't freezing, nor the Time and Sales, just the Super DOM is locking up, and freezing when things plummet or skyrocket. Due to the issue I'm just plain staying out in case it stays locked up while I'm trying to exit an order that has gone sideways. But I'd like to know so maybe I can fix this in future.
    My current CPU is a Ryzen5 1500, RAM is 32Gb, but bandwidth is rural WiFi radio tower, which clocks usually about 8-10Mb down and 4-5Mb up. Having written this down I'm thinking the weak link in the chain is the internet connection speed.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.X.0)

The most "unreliable" item from the information you've provided is certainly the wireless connection. We always recommend a hard-wired connection and also recommend a 'high-speed' internet connection which is defined as at least 25 Mbp/s download speed.

However, I suspect there may be something else occurring based on how you described the symptoms. We would need to do some deductive testing to find out more.

For example, does the issue persist if you close your current workspace(s) and create a SuperDOM with no additional columns/indicators?

What would help more is if I could see your diagnostic files which may contain information which I do not have access to from your description. Please write into PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com with a link to this forum thread and 'ATTN Patrick G' in the subject or body so I may investigate with you further.

Comment

Just a quick note while I'm still playing with the sim101 to try to suss out when and how this is going on the fritz the version number is 8.0.11.1 64 bit I'm not sure where I might find the diagnostic files But I'm sure you can tell me in the Email. it could be that I actually need to restrict my trading times to evenings when the trading is much slower possibly. I'll send an email here in a tick.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
      What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.X.0)

The most "unreliable" item from the information you've provided is certainly the wireless connection. We always recommend a hard-wired connection and also recommend a 'high-speed' internet connection which is defined as at least 25 Mbp/s download speed.

However, I suspect there may be something else occurring based on how you described the symptoms. We would need to do some deductive testing to find out more.

For example, does the issue persist if you close your current workspace(s) and create a SuperDOM with no additional columns/indicators?

What would help more is if I could see your diagnostic files which may contain information which I do not have access to from your description. Please write into PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com with a link to this forum thread and 'ATTN Patrick G' in the subject or body so I may investigate with you further.

Comment

And yeah I'm hard wired between my computer and the radio on the Roof but it's wireless through the air to the Transmission tower about 200 Meters away and however much further the Transmission tower that feeds that one is further away from it, and so on etc. Country Acreage life has it's advantages and also it's disadvantages I see.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Haaland View Post
          Hi there I'm experiencing a freezing of my Super DOM today in the fast markets of the NASDAQ Mar28 I've got the Volume and APQ also displayed on it and am wondering if this Freezing is more likely to be a RAM, CPU or maybe Bandwidth issue. Could be any of them I suppose but which is more likely? The charts themselves aren't freezing, nor the Time and Sales, just the Super DOM is locking up, and freezing when things plummet or skyrocket. Due to the issue I'm just plain staying out in case it stays locked up while I'm trying to exit an order that has gone sideways. But I'd like to know so maybe I can fix this in future.
          My current CPU is a Ryzen5 1500, RAM is 32Gb, but bandwidth is rural WiFi radio tower, which clocks usually about 8-10Mb down and 4-5Mb up. Having written this down I'm thinking the weak link in the chain is the internet connection speed.
          I've had these freezing issues on the DOM and charts many times in the past and especially in recent volatility. It seems to depend on which thread your window ended up in (which I believe is somewhat random on startup). In my instance, the problem can be greatly alleviated by ensuring the bar count on charts is low. Very low! This has made the problem tolerable for me in all but extreme cases and is a remarkable improvement over what it was. For instance. If you have long term charts with small time periods, (say 1-minute 90 day), NT windows and/or DOM will lock up randomly on high volatility. Especially when the market it very thin. Change your chart to 3 days and all will be fine. I still need the longer term time series, but I now add them with a much longer time period like 240 minute and add the 1-minute with just a day or so of data. It pretty much resolves the issue for me (though it causes other NT bugs to appear!).

So, try reducing your shorter time frame chart bar count considerably if that applies to you. For me, NT cannot cope otherwise in high vol, even though I have a very high performance workstation.
          Last edited by pjsmith; 03-30-2018, 02:09 AM.

Comment

I only have a one minute and 15 minute chart (5 days loaded) open and I also experience this issue.
            I can compare the superdom side by side with a one min chart with chart trader open and it is 3 to 6 ticks different at times.
            When I have an order live with a stop, the stop will be triggered when the superdom is showing the price 5 ticks from the stop.
            Very annoying.

(I have an i5 PC with 12 gb ram on a very fast network.)

Comment

It seems to be NT's threading model. You have to remove as much as possible that is working 'on each tick' on that instrument.Try opening the 'output' tab, right click and use the utilisation monitor to check what is eating cycles. I also no longer use NT doms. They are pretty useless to me. It should be better, but it isn't...

Comment

DavidHP,

Thanks for posting.

I would encourage you to write in also using the instructions in our previous reply post so we can check into your diagnostic files regarding this matter. We'll be happy to provide our analysis on this item and recommend what steps to take next.
                Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

During lag on my 4-core system, the NinjaTrader.exe process never exceeds 25% CPU and 25% GPU usage. It doesn't seem to utilize 4-cores but maxing out 1-core.

This may fix it https://stackoverflow.com/a/36697553
                  Last edited by hurleydood; 03-27-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

echo what pjsmith said, nj dom can't handle fast market, my laptop is i7, hardwire, tier 1 speed, only thing you can do is limit data to 3 days or just be aware of freezing problem and plan for it accordingly.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                    168 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post sidlercom80  
                    Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred