Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Import Question

Hi All,

I am able to import a strategy exported from my desktop to Laptop. However I am unable to see the strategy in the builder or editor. Its in the Analyzer and available to be applied on the chart. Is this normal ?

Thank you in advance,
    G

Hello jokepie,

From your description this would be normal if you exported as a compiled assembly, during the export did you check compiled assembly?

if you mean to export the source code, you need to follow these steps: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...tAsSourceFiles and ensure compiled assembly is NOT checked.

You will also need to remove this item before trying to import it again, you can use the Tools -> Remove NinjaScript assembly menu for compiled assemblies.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NinjaTrader_Jesse That makes sense. I am pretty sure I did export this as a compiled assembly. I will re-perform the steps as you have mentioned above and see if I get the desired outcome. Thank you for your assistance.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Jesse You were right. tested it out without compiled assembly checked in. It works. One question though - Should I replace any of the generic indicators during import ? What do you recommend. I dont want to break whats working. I said "no" and all is well. Cheers

Comment

Hello jokepie,

For system indicators which have an "@" at the beginning of their file name, we would recommend not overwriting and using the versions installed on your platform. For non-system indicators, it may be best to update these, and if there are any issues incurred with other scripts that use an indicator you overwrote, to inform the person that modified the indicator that their changes have affected previous uses.

Generally, developers will not make code breaking changes to the same indicator and will often create their own version to avoid those sorts of issues.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
          JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NinjaTrader_Jim Thanks Jim. This helps. Have a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
              Hello jokepie,

From your description this would be normal if you exported as a compiled assembly, during the export did you check compiled assembly?

if you mean to export the source code, you need to follow these steps: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...tAsSourceFiles and ensure compiled assembly is NOT checked.

You will also need to remove this item before trying to import it again, you can use the Tools -> Remove NinjaScript assembly menu for compiled assemblies.

Jim,

I followed all the correct steps to export my dll file and imported it into my ninjatrader computer.

I confirmed it is in the correct folder /bin/Custom but I cannot find where to access it. It is not in my Analyzer and I cant apply it to charts.

I am testing it and importing it on the same computer but I changed the name so it would create a new file. I also restarted the program.

Why cant I see it anywhere?

Comment

Hello litamm89,

Are you seeing any errors in the log? If you cannot see it anywhere that would point to either errors or the name you used needs to be checked to confirm you used a valid name.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Comment

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your response.

I see no errors in log everything gets correctly exported the file gets saved to my desktop and it seems to successfully import as well. When I try to re-import it it says it is already on my computer but I cannot find it in the strategy analyzer or the chart ad ons.

Comment

Hello litamm89,

Without more details on the code it would be hard to say whats happening.

If you are importing the file as source code you can use the NinjaScript editor to make sure you have the correct Name = "" string in the file and also that the Class name is correct.

If you are importing as a dll, you would need to uninstall that then re import the source code to verify you have everything correct. If you still can't see it I would suggest to try making a new empty script with a completely new name and try exporting that to see if that shows up.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Jesse

Hi Jesse,

I am trying to set my strategy to stop trading if it hits a certain amount of profit and also stop trading if I hit a certain amount of loss.

How do I set this up?

Comment

Hello litamm89,

You can find an example of that in the help guide at the link below. For future reference please start a new thread for new questions.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Jesse

I think I tried to....def user error.

I could'nt figure out how to start a new thread....

Comment

Hello litamm89,

You can find details on how to use the forums in the following link: https://ninjatrader.com/support/forum/help

At the top of any given sub forum you can choose "new topic" to create a new thread.

A good area for this type of question would be in the NinjTrader 8 -> Strategy development sub forum https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...gy-development

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                            3 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                            Started by WeyldFalcon, 12-10-2020, 06:48 PM
                            14 responses
                            0 likes