Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moving DB folder to a different location

Hello,

during the installation process the user chooses the path, where the user generated data for NT are stored (indicators, strategies, data etc.). Under this path NT generates different folders for different categories and one of this folders id the DB folder, where historical chart data are stored.

Is it possible to move this folder to another path in order to have the historical chart data stored at another path than the rest of the NT user data? In the settings I was not able to find a possibility where I can choose a path for the chart data, maybe this is saved in the registry or in a settings file of NT?

Many thanks
    Joerg

Hello,

Thank for your post. Unfortunately no, there is not an option to redirect this folder to another path at this time.

Please let us know if we may assist further.

Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Joerg View Post
      Hello,

during the installation process the user chooses the path, where the user generated data for NT are stored (indicators, strategies, data etc.). Under this path NT generates different folders for different categories and one of this folders id the DB folder, where historical chart data are stored.

Is it possible to move this folder to another path in order to have the historical chart data stored at another path than the rest of the NT user data? In the settings I was not able to find a possibility where I can choose a path for the chart data, maybe this is saved in the registry or in a settings file of NT?

Many thanks
      Joerg
      Not in NT.

You can use the operating system itself to redirect a folder. Either using a junction or mounting a partition into an empty directory.

Comment

Since the DB folder can grow large, it would be fantastic if this folder was movable. Even if simply allowing a manual path change in Config.xml or UI.xml (saving the dev effort to add an option in the Control Center interface), would be fantastic!

Perhaps a feature request?

Thank you!

Comment

Take a look at this post. You can create a symbolic link to the db.

Hi, I'm using a demo version of NinjaTrader 8. I'm at the latest version. Is there a way to move the directory C:\\... \Documents\Ninja Trader 8 and NinjaTrader 8 Backup to the D: drive. I'm asking as my C drive is an SSD which have less memory than my D drive so it get full quickly. Thanks Enrico

Comment

Originally posted by neoikon View Post
            Since the DB folder can grow large, it would be fantastic if this folder was movable. Even if simply allowing a manual path change in Config.xml or UI.xml (saving the dev effort to add an option in the Control Center interface), would be fantastic!

Perhaps a feature request?

Thank you!
            In NT8, you can now do this directly, more or less.

ref: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...143#post671143

Comment

Thank you Koganam, this will be very handy when dealing with "development" and "production" builds.

Unfortunately, it won't solve my original issue of needing "db" to move while keeping everything else where it is. If they all have to move, I'm in the same situation.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by neoikon View Post
                Thank you Koganam, this will be very handy when dealing with "development" and "production" builds.

Unfortunately, it won't solve my original issue of needing "db" to move while keeping everything else where it is. If they all have to move, I'm in the same situation.

Thank you!
                Actually it does. All of your NinjaTrader data, and ONLY, the NinjaTrader data can be pointed at that way. Unless of course, you are saying that you want only the "db" folder to be relocated.

See attached picture, showing mine on my external drive mounted as J: Program directories are still mounted on D: The Windows "Documents" folder is right where it always was.

If you really want to have only the contents of the "db" folder, and only they, elsewhere, the most efficient and elegant method is to empty or rename the "db" folder, then mount a dedicated partition into the empty or new "db" folder. You can choose whether the partition will also be independently accessible with a drive letter or not.

Click image for larger version  Name:	NT8DataFolderRelocated.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.0 KB ID:	1139557
                Last edited by koganam; 02-02-2021, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                2 responses
                1 like
                Last Post BarzTrading  
                Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
                3 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH