problems with Fibonacci Drawing Objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with Fibonacci Drawing Objects

i've been adding Fibonacci objects for both long term and based on prior day's high and low and i keep getting odd issues...
    1) when i shut down the platform and come back the next day and start up and the last workspace loads automatically more than likely there will be two copies of a previously placed fib object with different numbers - sometimes sequential sometimes not...
    a) i'm placing the objects on one chart of NQ using "Attach to: NQ 06-18(All Charts)
    2) when i delete the object from any chart (one volume one 5min) it doesn't always delete the object instances from both charts - and if i call up my daily chart of NQ the object may still be there in the object list but not show on the chart or the object has duplicated itself making two instances that weren't deleted on the daily when it was not open when i deleted the object from either the minute or volume chart....

very odd
    i've installed 8.13.1 hoping that this would be resolved in the update but it's still happening...
    /w

i just shut down and restarted to see if it would do it - but didn't this time...
    really weird - i'll check back later
    Last edited by stafe; 04-04-2018, 12:30 PM.

Local and global drawing objects are actually stored separately. Local objects are saved with the chart in the workspace. Global objects have their own dedicated location within the templates folder. I suspect a corruption in one of these locations is contributing to what you're describing.

Do I understand you correct that you always create these global drawing objects on one chart? And never from a different chart?

Is there any way to reliably reproduce this behavior? Or does it seem completely random?

Additionally, you mentioned that you hoped the new version would resolve this. Had you previously reported this behavior to us? If so, did you receive a ticket number, or do remember who you spoke with? If it was on the forum, what is the link to that post?

Comment

yesterday evening i changed my tactic from using both the 5min and the 1440 to manipulate the fibs and removed all fib grids - then i used only the daily chart (1440min) to apply the fibs with Attach to all charts selected - and at some point i had to reboot the box when i relaunched NT8 i forgot to log into my data feed - so when i came back this am and logged in there were now two sets of the same fib grids on the 1440 chart - i forgot to check the 5min and vol chart before deleting the extra set of fibs from the 1440 chart... i'll watch that more closely next time....

i've never checked Global drawing objects across workspaces in General Options

oh, and no i hadn't reported this issue before
      i had mostly been dealing with the tick replay crash problems since i'm trying to run order flow software that had been having so many problems before 8.12
      Last edited by stafe; 04-05-2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I have been unable to replicate the behavior based on the information you've provided here. If you can create more reliable and precise steps for reproduction, please share them here. This would look something like:
        • Open NinjaTrader
        • Create two charts
        • Add an object to chart 1, set to attach to all
        • Next steps needed to reproduce
        • etc.

We still have not eliminated the possibility that your workspace file and/or the global object file is contributing to what you're describing.

I would suggest that you write into PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com so I may obtain some files from your end for testing. Make sure to include a link to this thread and '1880026 ATTN Patrick G' in the subject or body of the message.

Comment

since i've never "turned on" Global drawing objects across workspaces in General Options shouldn't i start by deleting all the files that are in there for starters ?

/Libraries/Documents/NinjaTrader 8/templates/GlobalDrawingObject

Comment

I am not quite sure I understand the relevance of this setting to what we're trying to troubleshoot.

The property "Global Drawing Objects Across Workspaces" sets whether Global Drawing Objects should be applied across all open workspaces or not. This setting has no effect on a single workspace. From the information you've provided me, it sounds to me like you're using one workspace with multiple charts. Have I inferred incorrectly? Are you using multiple workspaces?

Yes, you could begin by deleting all information from within the "Documents/NinjaTrader 8/templates/GlobalDrawingObject" folder (do not delete the "GlobalDrawingObject" folder), This would be considered troubleshooting 'from the ground up'.

Comment

yes, one workspace with multiple charts

deleted files in GlobalDrawingObjects

then rebuilt my workspace using saved chart templates

noted that with no new fibs placed on new workspace charts - nothing appeared in the GDO folder upon shutting down

restarted with the new rebuilt workspace and connected to live data

placed fibs as usual (on 1440min chart i use for daily)

shut down

and now i see an ES and NQ file in GDO folder with the timestamp when i shut down

GDO across workspaces still unchecked (you've now clarified for me what that means)

i'll see if this clears things up

still haven't found in either NT8 folder under Documents or Program Files (x86) a file named GlobalDrawingObjects that you had made mention of - only the folder in Documents
              Last edited by stafe; 04-06-2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

The NinjaTrader folder which resides in Program Files (x86) should never be manually manipulated unless instructed specifically to do so by someone from the NinjaTrader Platform Support Team.

You're not finding a 'GlobalDrawingObjects' folder in the Program Files (x86) > NinjaTrader folder because it doesn't exist there. It only exists in the Documents > NinjaTrader > templates folder.

Please follow up here if any of the duplication issues return.

Comment

i understand : The NinjaTrader folder which resides in Program Files (x86) should never be manually manipulated

i understand: You're not finding a 'GlobalDrawingObjects' folder in the Program Files (x86) > NinjaTrader folder because it doesn't exist there.

this is the reference you made to a GDO file from post #4 that had me looking for a file

"We still have not eliminated the possibility that your workspace file and/or the global object file is contributing to what you're describing."

i'll be following up if i'm still having duplication issues....
                  thanks,
                  w

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by ScottWalsh, 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM
                  6 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post ScottWalsh  
                  Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                  10 responses