OrderFlowTradeDetector screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OrderFlowTradeDetector screen

Hi. When using the OrderFlowTradeDetector indicator with 'Base large volume on' set to 'Block' and a size set for 'Minimum volume for marker', the indicator sometimes displays concentric circles with 2 different buy and sell volume values, apparently within the same two circles, as you can see in the attached screenshots.
    I have not been able to find a description of what these values represent. The Help guide does not seem to have anything.
    Could someone please help with an explanation? Thanks!

Please provide screenshots of your chart's Data Series (right-click on your chart > Data series) and also a screenshot of your Oder Flow Trade Detector settings (right-click on your chart > Indicators > Select the Order Flow Trade Detector from the 'Configured' list) so I may attempt to replicate what you're reporting.

Comment

Here's the info you requested. Thanks for your help!

Comment

The purpose of the 'block' mode is to detect large (i.e. the min/max you define) volume from individual ticks.

The concentric circles are telling you that there was both buy volume and sell volume that met your block min/max criteria. If you hover over the circles, you should see a pop out which describes what is occurring. I've made a short video demonstration of this where both the buy and sell volume at the same tick met the block criteria:

Here is a link with more information about the Order Flow Trader Detector:

Comment

Thank you Patrick, but I don't see an answer to my original question. I am aware of the way the indicator works and how it shows buy and sell volume at a price when you hover over a circle. That is a very useful feature I've been taking advantage of for some time.
          However there is a quite different display that ONLY occurs when using the block mode, with these concentric circles. When you hover the cursor, you get two different and alternative buy/sell volumes for the same tick at the same price level (as seen in your video). Each pop-out shows buy and/or sell volumes, both of them for the same tick at the same price. But there is no description of why there are two separate volumes shown, why they are separated, or what each different pop-out signifies. Do you know? It would seem the programming team had some specific intention that has not yet been documented. Perhaps check with them? Thanking you for your attention.
          Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps I am not understanding what you're reporting here. Are you wondering how there can be both a buy and sell volume at the same tick?

In your most recent screenshot, it looks like there may be multiple buy circles that are seemingly at the same tick level. Is your question how there can be multiple same color circles at the same tick? If so, can you confirm what exact time/time zone your screenshot is referencing so I may check this data on my end.

Comment

Hi Patrick, many thanks for your attention. I do understand buying/selling volume, been trading it for a dozen years.
              Yes, the issue here is that in the case where you have these concentric circles that are plotted by the indicator, there can be more than one pop-out to show for the exact same tick at the same price, just by slightly moving the cursor. Sometimes it may be as you demonstrated in your little video, separate pop-outs for buying and selling volume, but generally that is not the case. If you look further you will see that often there is more than one pop-out with different buying (or selling) volume, just as I showed you in the chart I have uploaded a couple of times. It is easy to replicate. Just load a chart using the parameters I shared in response to your request, and pick a few of these concentric circles. You will quickly see what I am describing. If you need I can upload more screenshots, but I think that'll be redundant. You will see this phenomena quite easily if you scroll any similar chart. For instance right now at the market opening there were multiple instances readily visible; I am in the Eastern time zone. Please refer to my earlier posting if you need further clarification, I have described this several times.
              Thanks for your continued attention I look forward to a meeting of the minds on this subject.

Comment

Here's another pair of screenshots as examples, at 9.49 EST just recently this morning, Block size 20 as before.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Right now, these circles get drawn in chronological order. Newer circles will appear on top of older circles. The issue here is that sometimes a smaller circle will plot 'under' a larger circle making it impossible to mouse over the smaller circle and see its values.

I have submitted a feature request to the Development Team to address this visual concern:

SFT-3522: draw markers from smallest to largest if they occupy overlapping screenspace
                  SFT-4149: Provide Order Flow Trade Detector marker values in the Data Box

Please reference these internal tracking numbers if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 07-26-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

OK, great, look forward to it, thanks!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post jclose
                    by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM